Promoting the Sport

Slowshot

Yesterday, I went to my first RBA three gun match. I did not go to shoot, just to observe. I went with Kimberly, who has been shooting RBA and IR 50/50 all spring. Because it was a regional match with the weather predicted to be in the 60s with clear skies, I expected to see a greater turn out than the 10-12 shooters who Kimberly says have competed at this year's local matches so far.

While the weather did turn out well, I was quite surprised to see only eight competitors, including Kimberly for the entire competition. I also noticed only Kimberly appeared to be under 60 years of age, with the average age probably over 70, due to several shooters obviously in their 80s. Kimberly said these are eight of the same shooters who have been showing up at all of the local matches.

One incident, after the shooting had finished, disturbed me a bit. A guy appearing to be in his 50s walked up and introduced himself as an experienced pistol shooter interested in getting into 22 benchrest competition. He started with the usual first question, "what do I need to get started in this sport." The only reply he got was, "lots of cash." Then everyone ignored him and went back to talking among themselves.

Because one long time competitor was leaving the sport and selling his rifles, there were two sporters and one unlimited gun sitting out for sale. One reason I was there was to look at the rifles that were for sale, as I am also considering getting into the sport. Rather than leave the new guy hanging, I took him aside and showed him the for sale rifles and gave him a run down on what I know about the sport.

Do you see anything wrong with this story? I do. With only eight shooters showing up for the regional match, you would think the old timers would have been eager to bring a new shooter into the sport. The fact that all of the competitors were of retirement age suggests a dying sport. Why was I the only person willing to take the time to encourage the guy?

By the way, compared to motorcycling, playing music, auto racing and other activities that I and my family have pursued, competition shooting is not particularly expensive. I have spent over $20,000 on a single motorcycle (while owning four others at the same time) and $4,000 for a mid priced pedal steel guitar. I can't even imagine what kind of money my Dad spent on his race cars over the years, not to mention his collection of antique cars after he quit racing. Keep in mind that we are working class, not rich people. So saying, "you need lots of cash to get into the sport," is a bit vague and counter productive if you want to recruit new competitors to the sport.

In another thread I started, I commented about the inability to find any organized competition where you could show up with only one rifle and shoot against fair competition with the single rifle scores tallied and listed in the national listings. While I accept and understand any organization's right and need to set rules and standards it seems to me that you would want to create a system of rules and standards that encourage new competitors to give it a try. Finally, how could the eight shooters at a regional match fail to take the time to talk to a prospective new member?

Old farts don't want new people with new ideas coming in, heck they just don't want new people getting in their way. Why the F would the old farts even care if the sport lives or or not. Some people in this sport like to think there is something magical about the people that fondle rifles, truth is they are the same slobs you wouldn't give the time of day to passing on a sidewalk. Jack C

You guys live in a different world than me. I've never been to a match that didn't welcome new shooters. New guys (or girls), are usually offered equipment to try and encouraged to come back again. To say that an intitial outlay of a bunch of cash is required is not far off the mark. While shooting is not any more expensive than some sports, several thousand dollars is a lot to many people. Double that if a wife shoots too.

Jack, like it or not, this is an old guy's game. Young guys raising a family typically don't have the disposable income to invest in games. Even if they do, it's usually for something more active than benchrest. Just the way it is.

Ken Henderson

Slowshot,
Sorry to hear about your situation. This is my 8th season of rimfire benchrest and I'm happy to say my experience has been just the opposite. Most of my shooting has been in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but I've also shot matches in Iowa, Arkansas, Michigan,and Virginia. Haven't had a problem anywhere. As a matter of fact, the oldest shooter I know has given me the most help. I guess my advise to you would be to learn as much as you can by observing. I think the other compeditors will loosen up a little once you get started and you get to know each other.

Hi
I hate you had a bad experience
This is one sport where age does not matter if you don’t mind it don’t matter

Here at Kettlefoot
We have shooters from 10 years to 200 years old
In fact our toughest competitors come from both ends of the age line
This is one sport where if you can get your equipment on the line with help or other wise
You can be competitive
Some of the nicest people you will ever meet play this game and are willing to help others in any way they can
Come to kettlefoot give us a try
I guarantee you will like the way you are treated here

Looking forward to having you
Cliff Keesee

In the past I've set new shooters up with a rest, rifle, and ammo, free, very good rifles and great ammo too, and let them shoot a match to see if they liked it or not. None of 'em ever came back, so I don't do that any more. Ohter folks probably ahve similar experieences and don't want to waste their time. Most folks I've ran into are more than willing to help any new shooter. I've met some of the nicest folks at rimfire BR matches and consider many of them very good friends, hope they feel the same way:).
One thing I tell new guys who show up and want to watch and ask questions, is when to ask questions. You do NOT want to answer questions while you're cleaning your rifle between targets, or while I'm scoring targets, etc., or certainly not while the match is going on. The time to ask is after the match, or before the match starts. Most folks are happy to show you equipment, and talk with you, if you ask at the right time.

the guys i shoot with would do anything to get more people to show up and shoot. this year the range owner has allowed me to put on a ir50/50 match after the a.r.a. match. i provide food and drinks as well for all who come. we are trying to grow the sport. new blood is needed. this is my second year of shooting a.r.a. and first of ir50/50.

i have to agree most young people don't have the spair cash to invest in a top notch comp rimfire rifle and ammo. nothing in this sport is cheap at all. i am seeing more middle aged men at the matches enjoying the sport. it does seem to take a certon kind of person to do what we do.

I've back buttoned two replies already :). Condensed version; IMO the most likely pool of new RF BR shooters will come from people that are already competing in some other format. Smallbore, high power, centerfire BR, pistol shooters, etc. Trying to make competitors out of non-competitors is a waste of time and enthusiasm imo. When match day rolls around the competitors will always find a way to be there and the non-competitors will always find an excuse not to show up.

I DO think a match director should have a 'Target Rifle' class that allows the smallbore rifles to have a separate class.

I have seen people like Slowshot speaks of but not at any of the ranges that I have shot at. I think that most of us know some people like that. People like that bother all of us. This game is about fun and satisfaction.

There are people who refer to shooting 22 benchrest 20 years or so back and some of these people seem to think that if you didn't shoot back then, you are not in their click. They know all the big names and they do not hesitate to drop them. One of the older shooters once told me when I began that I was only competeing against myself. Good advice!

I am now 70 years old and having as much fun as ever. I would like to tell the shooters of my age to not be like the shooters that Slowshot met. We should welcome and help the new shooters. They are our future.

This can be a great sport for a young person. Young people have great eyes and they can be taught the wind and the cost will be less than a Bass boat.
As far as the cost goes, a person can spend far less than they would on a new bass boat and they can sell their equipment for close to their cost.

Concho Bill

i don't see enough promo in local news media, newspapers or hand placed info flyers !
get the news out to local gun shops, sporting goods and pawn shops, barber shops ect.
I've never seen anything other than very encouraging, helpful folks at a match...each club should put on an open house clinic at least one day per year.
my first shoot at St.Louis Benchrest was a nervous yet happy time, everyone i met was willing to do all it took to get me to come back and help me stay..and the one trip to Cern's in Louisiana will never be forgotten !
we get one chance to make a good first impression and that includes this forum.

It seems I have been misunderstood a bit. I tried to be clear but some responses suggest otherwise.

First of all, I am one of those old farts. I am 63 years old and retired. I do not see how age has anything to do with my issues except for the lack of new blood in the sport. In spite of what Jack said, we old farts do care about what we pass on to future generations. That’s why we risked our lives in wars, not just to protect ourselves but for our children and generations to come.

I also do not think anyone meant to discourage the potential new guy (who was an experienced pistol competitor). Since Kimberly began shooting, she has been loaned sporter class rifles regularly at matches. One old fart, at the local club is dropping rimfire shooting because at 95 he has difficulty picking up the tiny cartridges. He has asked the local match director to offer his collection of fine competition quality rifles to new shooters at fire sale prices. I plan to buy at least one of his rifles this week. I think Gambler hit on the problem quite well. There is no system in place to advertize matches to the unknowing and no plan or common understanding among the local shooters of the need to draw in the new competitor.

At my local range, shotgun, black powder and silhouette shooting are all the rage, with no small bore group or point shooting at all. Since Kimberly and I began practicing regularly, many other shooters have stopped to ask us what we are doing and how do we expect to hit those tiny targets. Though it breaks our concentration, we always stop shooting and take the time to show our equipment and explain the sport. As a direct result of our presence and example, the club is adding at least one more bench to the 50 yard range. If we could just get them to build a fourth bench, we would probably consider organizing fun matches.

As to the cost of equipment and supplies, Bill said it well, comparing the cost of a Bass boat to the cost of shooting gear. It simply becomes a matter of priority. By quitting smoking and drinking in my early 40s, I saved a ton of money. I even saved enough to put my youngest son through college. Of course we ate a lot of my home made chili and spaghetti sauce and I worked all the overtime I could get, volunteering for every unpleasant job available if it meant a bit more cash. That’s how I could afford my guitars and motorcycles. In those behaviors, I copied my Dad who never smoked or drank and raised six children while working hard so as to be able to feed his family, while building his race cars in our garage.

In the past, there were programs to teach shooting to young people. I don’t see so much of that any more. Most of the baby boom generation has no experience with firearms and due to a constant barrage of anti-gun propaganda mainly see guns as a threat, like a rattlesnake. Until I met Kimberly, five years ago, I was very anti-gun. I learned the difference between the perception and reality. So can others. Raising the profile of shooting as a sport would go a long way in changing this perception. Creating a set of classes or divisions, similar to what NHRA has, allowing anyone to be able to buy a rifle and find fair competition would remove the main perceived obstacle for people interested in exploring the sport. I was pleased to recently learn that USBR had a division for vintage rifle that allows the owner of a rifle that was state of the art many years ago to shoot against similar equipment.

Finally, Cliff, I would really like the opportunity to shoot at your club but a drive to Kettlefoot is a bit much from my home in Kingston, WA.:(

Last edited:
new shooter

I've recently got into the sport and have open positive help from everyone at the Billings Range near springfield ,mo. They all are helpful in choices for ammo and equipment. Great bunch of guns to spend time with. Sorry there are old farts in this world I hope never to become one. thanks elton

I've recently got into the sport and have open positive help from everyone at the Billings Range near springfield ,mo. They all are helpful in choices for ammo and equipment. Great bunch of guns to spend time with. Sorry there are old farts in this world I hope never to become one. thanks elton

Back in my youth, The Who sang,"hope I die before I get old." The funny thing is they sang it again at a recent concert. I guess they are so senile, they don't realize the irony.

As for me, I began playing guitar in my 20s, riding motorcycles in my 40s and shooting in my 60s. I keep adding new skills and interests as I get older, while giving up none. You can find me on Youtube playing and singing under the name lapsteelguy and on the Disabled Motorcyclist of America site as Don explaining to people how to build motorcycle controls to overcome disabilities.

It's not that we stop learning because we get old. It's that we get old because we stop learning, playing and stretching ourselves.

By the way, the 'old fart' who at 95 is giving up rimfire is not giving up shooting. He is just going to concentrate on centerfire, where the cartridges are easier for his fingers to grasp. Now that's an aproach to aging I can respect.

Last edited:
Slowshot
Get Kimberly and yourself to the airport and fly out here. Cliff puts on a good match at Kettlefoot and it would be nice to meet you two. If you don't want to ship all that gear by air, I am sure we can round up enough equipment to outfit you both.
Don

Back