Primers?

R

ricky5042

Hi all what would be the difference in using magnum primers in my 308 loads as compared to standard primers?

What do you all use in your 308 loads? is there any advantage in the magnum primers to warrant the extra cost?

Thanks

Rick

Hi all what would be the difference in using magnum primers in my 308 loads as compared to standard primers? What do you all use in your 308 loads? is there any advantage in the magnum primers to warrant the extra cost? Thanks Rick

The advantage and difference depends on the powder, powder weight, and bullet weight being used. Follow your reloading manuals guide for best results. They've done the testing under controlled conditions for you. No guessing, conjecture, or someone said, was involved. :)

Magnum Primers are sometimes used with Ball Powders; such as BC2.

Ball Powders are sometimes used to load the .308.

I do not use either in my .308's

Hi I will try them back to back and see what results I get :D will be interesting to see how much difference there actually is.

Rick

Whichever primer gives you the smallest velocity spread(as long as the accuracy is there) is the right one. Varget doesn't need a mag primer, but H4350 is another story. Usually.....

Soft Primers

I would just like to say that this subject has been discussed many times and there are many debates over the wright primer for the right load. The softest primer you can use and get good ignition in your load range is the one that is wright. Now what is the softest primer for your load I do not know.

Pls read this and it will explain the ins and outs of primers
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-small-rifle-primer-study.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Whichever primer gives you the smallest velocity spread(as long as the accuracy is there) is the right one. Varget doesn't need a mag primer, but H4350 is another story. Usually.....

Thanks il have a look

Don't buy a 1000 carton to try it. I only invested $4 in a 100 pack of Federal mag primers and found the pressure increased substantially on an already accurate 168 Hornady load from out of my AR 308 (AR10). The primers flattened out real bad and the accuracy went to hell. Your results can obviously vary depending on gun and load.

Since hotter primers may increase pressure, and that relates to velocity, and some think that accuracy nodes are thought by many to correlate to velocity, it seems only prudent to drop down on your load and retest to find the node. If you change a reloading component, you should not expect identical results without reworking the load, and in cases where a load is already quite hot, something like a primer change has been known to cause severe pressure problems.

Hi all I am going to start from scratch with the magnum primers, powder is Hodgdon H335 bullet heads are 155gn A-max, Hodgdons sits says starting is 38gns and max load is 41gns but because im using magnum primers I will reduce max load to 40gns and if no pressure signs I will go up in .2gn increments if I need to up to the 41gn max, but in my experience max charge is not the most accurate!

Rick

Back