Primer seater

My problem is that arthritis is getting into both my thumb joints such that I can no longer seat primers with one hand & when I use two, I lose the sensitivity to feel the primer in. I realised that this was the case when the spreads on my best 1200 yard loads went from teens to over 30 fps.

My answer was to buy the K & M with the dial gauge head & "sight" the primer into its seat, rather than feel it in. Even so, I find that the mechanical advantage of the handle is j-u-s-t enough for me to be able to seat Russian primers into new brass. I guess the main thing going for me is that my loads are consistent again, as long as I clean out the primer pockets perfectly so the machine measures the pocket depth properly.

I can see that the Forster coax has the potential to give me the leverage I need to seat (but with two thumbs, my Sinclair did that), but how is it for sensitivity? Can you feel the primer bottoming out?

I need to make some plans for my presenility. ;)

John,
welcome to my world! My hands have been banged up so many time thru the years (work related) that I just cannot use my thumbs for leverage anymore. I can seat about a half dozen primers with a Sinclair tool, and then I'm done. I think I've used about five or six different devices over the years. I never liked the Lee or the RCBS. Settled on the K&M in the end. I did make a gauge that uses a .00025" dial indicator to measure the distance below the face, and another to actually measure the primer pocket depth. The one thing I was shooting for was consistency in seating primers. I found the old style Forster that used the shell holder instead of the sliding jaws worked great. It would set primers within .0005" very consistently. At the range I prime with a K&M, and it works for me. Mine does not have the dial indicator, and see no real need for it. And I see similar results with the K&M and the Forster. I sold the Sinclair gadgit a long time ago, and never looked back.
gary

My vote goes for the Lee, its fast, simple and easy to use. A little lube doesn't hurt them. And they are cheap, I mean inexpensive!

After wearing out and breaking several Lee's over the coarse of few years and getting replacements that didn't fit I started looking around. Sinclair looked nice but not the price. I went K&M , I use a lot of their stuff and it all works well at a GOOD price. Never would have believed how muck I like this seater. I was thinking I would miss the auto feed but I don't.

John, that Forster is nice, but it should.........................

be mounted on some wood so that it "leans" back toward the operator. You do have to modify a primer flipper to accept the "tubes", but its not a big deal. Hardly feel the seating, so you need to practice w/it. :cool:

I've used other people's Sinclair primer seaters... very nice. Not sure they're worth 2x what my K&M cost, though...

Had a Sinclair. Nice, very well made unit. I hated having to turn the top to lock the shell in and then having to unlock it. Sold it. Have 2 KM's just put the shell in the holder and press the lever. The sliding collar rises to lock the shell in place while the primer seats. Top of the line unit.

My vote goes for the Lee, its fast, simple and easy to use. A little lube doesn't hurt them. And they are cheap, I mean inexpensive!

Great design, terrible execution. THey are junk as made. And follow their instructions...do NOT use Federal primers.

John ...

John, that Forster is nice, but it should be mounted on some wood so that it "leans" back toward the operator.

Brian is correct. I center mounted mine on a 12" X 8" piece of 3/4" plywood that has a Maple or Cherry wood looking surface to it. It looks nice. I can carry it around the house and use it where I want. :)

leaning forward?

What is the idea behind mounting the Forster press leaning towards the user instead of level or even leaning back like the fancy Sinclair mount?

When I discovered that I was just another arthritic old geezer, I wrapped a bunch of adhesive tape around the lever of my Lee primer seater--it helped a lot. I later bought a K&M and did the same thing. I do think that being able to tell exactly how much crush I was using on my primers helped my groups.

I have two K&M tools. Had a Sinclair. Well made but didn't like the locking, unlocking of the shell in the holder design. Love my K&M's at about 1/3rd the price.

John, Lee auto primer...great design, putrid execution in materials and tolerances imho. Also, had a friend use his with Federal primers(at the time they said not to) and it blew up in his hand with a near full tray of primers in the tool. Nasty. I use a K&M cause they are 1/3rd a Sinclair, simpler and seat primers one by one.

2nd Seater

Just received my second Forster CO-AX Primer Seater. Going to set that up exclusively for my 30BR. I adjusted the other one a few days ago for my 6PPC and it felt so good I decided I wasn't going to mess with it ever again ... so I purchased a second one here: http://www.gunstop.com/Store/Reloading Accessories/Forster-Products-Inc/FOR11521. Great Price. And ... because they're right next door to a US Post Office I get it in only a day or two. I'm in Austin,TX and they're in Minnetonka, MN. Great Service! Mounting them both on the same board opposite each other. :)

Back