Primer Diagnosis Help Needed

MACSako

Hi all,
Recently I posted having problems with a load for my B78 25-06, Thanks for all your input !!

I have some detailed pics of the blown primers, and would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

This are Fed210 primers, and I am wondering if the Fed215 being magnum primers might be a better stronger choice ?
Could this be a rare case of defective primers ?
I am well aware I am reaching max pressures, however reducing the load affects accuracy greatly.

Rifle Browning B78
Load 54 gr RL22
Nosler 110 AccuBond
Bullet Jump to Lands Aprox 10 mil

Have a great day, Thanks a mill all !!

Attachments

• 20161109_215235 - 1.jpg
    20161109_215235 - 1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 20161109_225935 - 1.jpg
    20161109_225935 - 1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 20161109_230623 - 1.jpg
    20161109_230623 - 1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 20161109_230734 - 1.jpg
    20161109_230734 - 1.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 376
Hi all,
Recently I posted having problems with a load for my B78 25-06, Thanks for all your input !!

I have some detailed pics of the blown primers, and would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

This are Fed210 primers, and I am wondering if the Fed215 being magnum primers might be a better stronger choice ?
Could this be a rare case of defective primers ?
I am well aware I am reaching max pressures, however reducing the load affects accuracy greatly.

Rifle Browning B78
Load 54 gr RL22
Nosler 110 AccuBond
Bullet Jump to Lands Aprox 10 mil

Have a great day, Thanks a mill all !!

Dude.......your load's too hot.

How do I say this politely...???

I can't......... YOUR LOAD'S TOO HOT!!!

There's nothing to "think about"......nothing to discuss.....there is no "stronger primer" when the gases are spurting out around said primer because your brass cases have expanded from the enormous over-pressure event caused by TOO MUCH POWDER....

You can rationalize, you can list specs and loads and the books from whence they came, lot #'s, humidity, temp and density altitude.....you can joust at the windmill of "rare phenomena" if you so choose but the simple FACT is that your load is too hot.

And you need to back it down before you hurt yourself, you're already gas etching, scoring your boltface.

There....

This post will probably have to be deleted because it's "mean-spirited" or something. This seems to be the new norm, we've got riots all over Portland tonight.....they're ripping our town apart just down the street from me because people said mean things about the "rules" but in the interest of safety I believe it has to be said..........YOUR LOAD IS TOO HOT

"sorry"

:)

Thanks

Many Thanks alinwa,

Ever since the primer event I backed on the load and I hope the falling lock on the B78 has not been damaged too much, It's impossible to inspect the without tearing the whole gun apart.
I am surprised since this gun belonged to a friend of mine who used to load this same powder charge but with 115 gr B Tip bullets, and I am using 110 gr Accubonds.
Maybe my friend had similar problems which he does not want to disclose.

I may work up some loads with some IMR7828, maybe RL22 might be a tad too fast for the long 26" barrel

I am sorry to hear about the riots in your beautiful Portland, I was there on business some years ago and I remember vividly flying by Mt Hood prior to landing, what a sight !!

Thanks a mill !!

Some years back a fellow that I knew had pressure problems with a .22-250. It turned out that there was an extreme buildup of carbon in the chamber throat that ordinary cleaning had allowed to build up. It took a lot of work with JB to remove it. After that, the pressure levels became normal for the powder charges that he was using. You mentioned your friend's use of a particular charge and bullet combination. Rifles vary in regard to how much pressure a given load will produce. For this reason load workups need to be properly done, starting at the low end of what a manual recommends for that specific bullet, and going up in small increment while noting both accuracy and pressure signs. So often I read posts from fellows that want someone to give them a load for their rifle and while they may gather useful information this way, this does not mean that they should simply load that recipe without working up to it. Unfortunately, I believe that in many cases that is exactly what they do. Going forward, I suggest that you do your own workups.

On two of those primers........are those two pin-hole primer failures, at the corners, I'm seeing??

Years ago, I had that happen on a 40XBR 17 Javelina PD rifle. They were moderate loads, with Fed 205M primers. I "removed" that lot of primers from service..........i.e. I had to unload and reload about 400 rounds.:(

Hope this helps.

Kevin

According to QuickLOAD he is only running about 50Kpsi.

OK OK....... mayhap I spake too quickly and maybe the thang CAN be fixed by switching out some components but my statement stands, AS PRESENTED, THE LOAD'S TOO HOT!

It's either too hot for the brass, the chamber, the rifle, the barrel, perhaps even this lot of primers...but in any case IT'S TOO HOT is all's I'm saying. And in any case I'd heed Boyd's advice, ANY time you change ANY component in the reloading cycle you must drop back down and start over on the load workup.

From looking at those photos I can say that it might not be too much powder. I don't think I've ever seen a primer do that. Reducing the load may stop it (as alinwa stated) but I don't think that's the real problem. The primers don't show other signs of pressure...just the hole. Change primers and work back slowly to that powder charge.

Back