Primer cup hardness

Well down here in Australia it looks as though there might be another primer shortage coming up.
So...to settle an argument...which primers have the hardest cups? I have a small supply of a number of brands.
I normally use 205M's for competition work, and either Fiocchi or standard 205's in my varmint rifles.

Cheers

BA

Don't have any idea if they are available there but I've had good success with CCI 41's. There seems to be no difference in load development and I've yet to pierce one even with a very hot load.

Rick

George Kelbly has said for years there is no difference between the 205M and the 205. Now I am talking Federal. I stand to be corrected on this, read it JIM and let me know, yet there is a difference of avaidibiltiy and $5.00 per hundred, and I don't think George is cheap. I would love to spell.

George Kelbly has said for years there is no difference between the 205M and the 205. Now I am talking Federal. I stand to be corrected on this, read it JIM and let me know, yet there is a difference of avaidibiltiy and $5.00 per hundred, and I don't think George is cheap. I would love to spell.

You are correct Bill. Only an extra visual inspection check. My Remington primers have a harder primer cup than my Federal or Winchester.

Bill and Butch are correct on the Federal primers. Currently CCI seems to have the hardest cups out there with Remington coming in second and Federal with softest cups. This last year we have seen a real problem with CCI being even harder, especially on the CCI 450 primers. A lot of people have trouble set off the 450's. Other brands of primer then these above I could not comment on how they are for hardness or performance.

Jim

Are we takking about

primer cup hardness(thickness being equal) or the differences in cup thickness between some primer makes?

I like the Tula SRM's. They seem to be as tough or tougher than CCI 450's , BRM 4's or any other as far as that goes.

If you have good scale like a GD503 and weigh a 1000 of each you will soon see the difference between the GM and the 205's...... jim

I have tried the Magtech 7 1/2. For me has strong as CCI450.

I will not make any supposition with regards to cup thickness or cup material strength. I have no measurement for this.

I tried to use them on an old small firing pin Panda and had a lot of misfires.

Meanwhile, have no misfire at all on my AK74s or 308 Win small primer pocket.

Bill and Butch are correct on the Federal primers. Currently CCI seems to have the hardest cups out there with Remington coming in second and Federal with softest cups. This last year we have seen a real problem with CCI being even harder, especially on the CCI 450 primers. A lot of people have trouble set off the 450's. Other brands of primer then these above I could not comment on how they are for hardness or performance.

Jim

Apparently Federal knew that the 205's were a bit softer than some other brands and even accused of having slam fires in AR rifles, Federal now makes 205MAR primers that have a harder cup so you can have it both ways

Back