press for the range

Mr. LASER...

With a history that includes an engineering background, much cabinet/furniture design & building, reloading, and designing reloading/portable shooting benches, I'm intriqued with coming up with a solution for you.

Knowing full well the "mechanics" of using a ChuckRocker [ ;)], I have an idea that could/should work for you. Are you interested and what is your limit for lifting?

Re-reading some of the posts here, the Sinclair thing may be nice, but what will you mount it to? The table I have in mind will use your own weight to stabilize it.

Further - the Sinclair thing is $75 + shipping. For $25 more I'll build you something much better packaged to ship to you UPS - others might find it interesting too. Will feature a real table top (about 12 x 36) to do all your reloading on. Easy setup and takedown kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Sonof A. Gun

With a history that includes an engineering background, much cabinet/furniture design & building, reloading, and designing reloading/portable shooting benches, I'm intriqued with coming up with a solution for you.

Knowing full well the "mechanics" of using a ChuckRocker [ ;)], I have an idea that could/should work for you. Are you interested and what is your limit for lifting?

Re-reading some of the posts here, the Sinclair thing may be nice, but what will you mount it to? The table I have in mind will use your own weight to stabilize it.

Further - the Sinclair thing is $75 + shipping. For $25 more I'll build you something much better packaged to ship to you UPS - others might find it interesting too. Will feature a real table top (about 12 x 36) to do all your reloading on. Easy setup and takedown kit.

Am I interested? Damn straight!!! I'm interested. I'm fixin' to pm you directly!!
LASER

Am building a prototype currently. Interestingly, looks like I can make it to function as a portable shooting platform also. Pictures to follow when done.

Wasn't S of a G the same guy that wanted to charge another guy here for a set of drawings to make benches for his club ??

Seems that maybe I just don't have enough appreciation for the value of money !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have alinwa's mentality also.... what is the cheaper route if I can still make the same quality ammo.

Here is something I've done for years and you won't have to buy anymore equipment seeing how you already have an arbor press. Do NOT seat your bullets at home. Turn them upside down in the case mouth. I use a peice of foam in the top of my loading box so that if the cartrdige box was dropped or overturned the bullet would stay in the case mouths and not spill the powder.

So you can load up you rounds with different amounts of powder and leave the bullets unseated. If the first load works, then the other unseated bullet can be removed with your fingers and dump the powder if needed. I've done this for years with my long range BR ammo and seat at the range.
I also have a set of 50 acrylic tubes that I premeasure powder in to adjust the load if needed then again.. jsut seat the bullet.

I am assuming seeing how you own an arbor press already that you own a Wilson type seater die. That might be the only thing you will need.

I do this for my hunting guns as well as BR guns when working up loads. But if I'm going to do a lot of testing I do take my whole setup and clamp my Lyman Orange Crusher press to the hitch as someone above mentioned. But I'm still semi-young and haven't totally fallen apart.... yet.

Steve

Hey, a vote for hand dies... Wilson's little dealies work just fine for neck sizing only. If you're not spanking the thing too hard, you can get quite a few firings out of a set of brass before you have to start bumping. Couple them with one of Lester's little lightweight arbor presses (those things are NICE), and you're set for an afternoon.

When the case gets a little tight, use one of the Lee hand presses to bump it back.

Portable reloading/shooting bench

OK, so here's pics of the table/bench design I've come up with to possibly help the OP or others interested of course. Would have been sooner but wouldn't you know it - I strained my back helping someone move boxes of books and was layed up for a week or more. Then too, I redesigned the unit a couple times to improve it. Finally, power was out with the recent storms we've had.

Anyway, first picture shows it set up for reloading and second as a shooting platform (usable by left or right handers). Easy to set up and take down (only uses four 1/2" bolts & nuts) and sturdy enough (top is a 2 x 12 x about 46"). Base measures 32 x 48. I might be persuaded to make some for others, but pay will have to make it worth an old man's trouble :D Mass producing things like this is one thing; onesies and twosies can be a PITA!

Attachments

• Copy of P1010004.JPG
    Copy of P1010004.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Copy of P1010012.JPG
    Copy of P1010012.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 200
Laser, "the op" is the original poster.

If you really want a bench that's self-stabilized the you get'cherself a sheet of 1" or thicker plywood, a set of folding table legs (14.95 @ Home Depot/Lowe's), a hunk of 3/8" chain and a couple hefty lag-in eyelets (Lowe's/Depot again) and some 2X6.

Cut out a tabletop, mount one of the folding table legs on the front and a hinged leg in the back, mount a seat on the 2X6 rear leg. Just make the seat out of left over 2X6.

With the chain as a limiter you can adjust this thing for uneven ground, the three-legged design makes for stability and your own weight on the rear leg keeps the thing planted. I mean STABLE........ not some spindly-legged wobbler.

I've added a handle-hole in the side of the toppy-table and a hook-and-eye that holds the leg folded and I k'in pack the deal out to the dogpatch with my rifle and shells in the other hand...... I've also cut the rear leg at a slant to make a point on the bottom so's it digs in......

A liddle more forethought gives you a design with the rear pivot right under your butt....... add two knee bumpers and you can "walk" the thing in a circle pivoting on your own center. I've still got both designs up in the attic of my shop but I got rich enough to afford a couple of VarmintMasters BR Pivots and have never looked back :cool:

al

I think LASER is more looking for a reloading bench than one for shooting.

You are absolutely correct!!

I think LASER is more looking for a reloading bench than one for shooting.
The man has hooked me up. Thank you all for your replies. I have been working on the entire load up and go to the range thing and this will be the final step. I did learn quite a bit through reading the contributitions to this post. Thank Ya'll again

LASER

Back