Precision Matthews 12x36 just arived

Make your own spider. I made this one in an afternoon that bolts to the back plate from my 4J chuck:

Recrowned2009-02-28RS.jpg

I recessed the spider bolts so they wouldn't turn into rotating meat hooks. That's easier to see in this picture (taken before I added the brass pads to the spider bolts):

Doneopenflush1RS.jpg

Fitch

sweet....That would give me like an extra 5" or so

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan,
Do those nylon screws hold your barrel securely? If not, I picked up some brass tipped allen head screws for my spiders(about $3.50 each at the vendors) while I was in Chicago last week. Let me know if you need the info on them.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Hi Jonathan,
Do those nylon screws hold your barrel securely? If not, I picked up some brass tipped allen head screws for my spiders(about $3.50 each at the vendors) while I was in Chicago last week. Let me know if you need the info on them.
Best,
Dan Batko

Yeah Dan, Let me know those would definately be better

i just order a pm1236 lathe,how do you like it?
did you make your spider out of steel or aluminum ?

i just order a pm1236 lathe,how do you like it?
did you make your spider out of steel or aluminum ?

So far I have had a couple of issues...The four jaw chuck has some wobble when ran mid-speed(they have been working with me to get it resolved) and the steady rest is not the best(creap) but with some modification it works. Over all Ive had a good experience(so far) working with them and the machine seems to run good. The spider I have on the spindle output is aluminum...Im working on a spider for the chuck side so I can do shorter barrels through the headstock. Over all I think its a good machine for the money, but it seems theres a bit of risk when buying a Chinese machine in this price range no matter which brand and customer service is very important(I can only speak for myself but so far they been pretty good).

Yeah Dan, Let me know those would definately be better

Or ... you could just make some. They are a piece of cake to make. I made these for the tailstock on my lathe.

Spiderboltsforrearofspindle-RS.jpg

I cross drilled and tapped it (with it in the lathe). It moves the spider closer to the spindle nose for even shorter barrels.

Crossdrilledspindleforbarrelsupport.jpg

To hold the screws for drilling the end, make a sleeve shorter than the thread length with an OD bigger than the screw head and the ID tapped to match the screw thread. Hold that in your 3J and you are good to go. These are 3/8" fine thread screws - the brass tips were made from a piece of 5/16 brass and glued into the end of the bolts with Red LockTite.

Fitch

Jonathan,
I got some "Alloy Socket Head Cap Screw/with Brass Point, 5/16"-18 Thread, 1 1/2" length, 3/32" Point Length" from Mc Master Carr in Elmhurst, Il. The part # is 90299A586. They were $3.43 each. Their phone # is 630-600-3600.

Fitch,
I was thinking I would have to make some, but $3.43 was cheaper than making them (in my case). They look like yours only a little longer.

Best,
Dan Batko

You all are welcome to come share in the fun...there's plenty left to go around;) and Kris, why wouldn't I do things your way? Every barrel I've shot of yours has shot like a house of fire.

Hi Jonathan,

I just got this lathe and I am trying to wrap my head around the best way for me to secure the stand and lift the lathe onto it. Was there a separate assembly manual besides the lathe handbook? What type of leveling feet did you use? The ones in your pictures look very solid.

Any tips on size of engine hoist to use and procedure to mount?

Best Regards,
Premal Chheda

Not sure youll get anything from a post this old but any good engine hoist will work. You can get all different kinds of machinery feet from places such as MSC or enco. Good luck with your install

Thank you. I think I should be able to manage it with the engine hoist I have and the leveling feet I ordered. The only thing I may have a bit of an issue with is the brake on the stand interfering with the legs of the hoist when placing it on the stand if I want to get it close to the wall. I will carefully try it out. This is a big upgrade from my Jet 9x20.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 270
Back