Precision Matthews 12x36 just arived

JonathanK

I received my new lathe tonight, and so far so good. Everything was there and nothing damaged. I indicated the spindle and chuck and can't find a bit of runout. Still have a bit of work to do to get it up and running....more pics and videos to come.

IMG_20110302_212522.jpg

IMG_20110303_011016.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Jonathan. I bet you will enjoy it for sure. Keep us posted on the progress. Just don't invite Kris Whitman over. He will drool all over it and mess up the new paint.
Joe.

May I strongly suggest you open up the jaws and look at the bottom of the cam locks. You want to make sure there isn't any grinding dust left in the pockets. If it is not clean, vacuum out as much as possible then try to flood the rest out with spray WD-40 or something like that.

My 1440 was full of grinding grit, and I didn't catch it until it was too late. It ground the bottom of the cam locks and locked up a couple so I had to beat them out. Ended up taking out all of them and filing and polishing the sufaces so they would work.

Good luck with your new machine.

Jim

Jonathan

Looks great. Be careful once you have the lathe mounted up on the cabinet they become top heavy, when moving.

Hal

Awe man this aint lookin good!!!! Chanel locks and a crescent wrench all in the same picture? What happened to the right tool for the job?

Anyway, I enjoy your YouTube vids, have fun with the new lathe. Make chips and videos.

Paul

Thanks Pbike

Awe man this aint lookin good!!!! Chanel locks and a crescent wrench all in the same picture? What happened to the right tool for the job?

Anyway, I enjoy your YouTube vids, have fun with the new lathe. Make chips and videos.

You got me there lol.....The machine actually came with a toolbox with every tool you would need for assembly and maintenance.

Now that hurt Joe.....

I would never mess up the paint on a new lathe......but I would drool :)

Have fun jonathan....and let the education begin. Remember chambering is a very sensitive and interesting topic on benchrest central....five gunsmiths will have five different methods. Just don't do it the way I do and you will be fine:)

BTW: When you get er' all set up and roughly leveled and I will come over with the precision level. That way I can see your new toy (and drool)

Kris Whitman

Hi Kris, I do apologise. ;) If I was there, I would be drooling as well. You do need to get over and keep Jonathan out of trouble. It is un-American for him to have all that fun by himself.

Joe

You all are welcome to come share in the fun...there's plenty left to go around;) and Kris, why wouldn't I do things your way? Every barrel I've shot of yours has shot like a house of fire.

That is a good looking machine Jonathan. I can see chips flying already. Let me know when the level needs to come for a visit....I might even bring old Arnold Jewell. He is an expert at supervising people working;)

Kris

More pics

I got everything working now and am ready to make some chips fly. Kris, you guys can come by when ever you want and I would love to have Arnold as a guest/supervisor....

IMG_20110308_222737.jpg

IMG_20110308_222808.jpg

IMG_20110308_222751.jpg

IMG_20110308_223929.jpg
some of the tools and center that came with

IMG_20110308_222820.jpg
coolant/oil reservoir and pump

IMG_20110308_223939.jpg

IMG_20110308_223953.jpg

Jonathan,
Nice very nice.
So clean and shinny at least for the moment.
Congrats.
The offer still stands if you need any help.

I called quality tool today about that lathe.
Have you done any cutting, threading yet?

Thanks
Kyle

Back