Precision Machine 1340GT Lathe

parshal

After chambering a dozen o barrels between centers on a SB 10K with a 4.5' bed I decided I want something bigger. Although the rifles all shoot great I've never been happy with how the threads look no matter how serviceable they are. So, I placed an order today for a PM1340GT 3-phase with VFD. I'm having Mark over on hobby-machinist replace all the electronics and adding a proximity sensor as well. Now the waiting begins.

I had my finger on the proverbial trigger for this or the 1440gt when my emco v13 popped up at a price I couldn't let go. From all accounts the 1340gt is a great machine and the wiring that mksj does looks amazing as well. Should give you a lot of joy and years of service!
Mike

We just received a 1340gt 3 phase at the beginning of the month and it is a pleasure to run. I am still getting used to operating it vs the old barcorp 1430 I had been using before. It's taking some getting used to on how much smoother everything operates.

I was impressed with how close everything was to begin with as far as setup goes. Ours is not a VFD machine, but I am looking to possibly have that in the future. I hope yours will, as I am sure it will, operate as great as mine!

Tad

After chambering a dozen o barrels between centers on a SB 10K with a 4.5' bed I decided I want something bigger. Although the rifles all shoot great I've never been happy with how the threads look no matter how serviceable they are. So, I placed an order today for a PM1340GT 3-phase with VFD. I'm having Mark over on hobby-machinist replace all the electronics and adding a proximity sensor as well. Now the waiting begins.

I don't how the electronics are going too improve the appearance of your threads. You might want to look at your cutting tool...relief, sharpness,etc.

Just a thought.

Mort

It's more wanting a bigger machine. :D

But, I'm hoping with the heavier machine and 240 it'll help.

I'm not sure it will make a difference......but if you are having fun and doing what you want to do, go for it. Let me know how it turns out.

Mort

Last edited:
To a point

Machine tools - mass is your friend

but there is such a thing as too much mass. 50k pound lathes and the like may be a bit overkill for someone threading a 1" tenon, for instance.

Pete

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to it!

Looked up your machine on line. Looks good and had favorable reviews.

My dream machine is a Monarch EE. They had four of them in the shop I worked in almost 50 years ago. Beautiful machine.

Mort

I’ve looked for a while for a good used machine. I’ve yet to see a Monarch around here but would love one. I’m not sure why but used prices here are quite a bit higher than what I see others able to pay.

Looked up your machine on line. Looks good and had favorable reviews.

My dream machine is a Monarch EE. They had four of them in the shop I worked in almost 50 years ago. Beautiful machine.

Mort

Mort,

Ditto on the Monarch EE. Most accurate lathe I've ever run was a WW 2 era Monarch engine lathe. I can't imagine what a tool room 10 EE would be like.

Jackie and Butch have 10 EE's. It may be a sin, but I covet thy neighbor's lathe...

Justin

Mort,

Ditto on the Monarch EE. Most accurate lathe I've ever run was a WW 2 era Monarch engine lathe. I can't imagine what a tool room 10 EE would be like.

Jackie and Butch have 10 EE's. It may be a sin, but I covet thy neighbor's lathe...

Justin

I have seen Jackies heavy machinery but not the double E. Butch posted a picture of his being delivered sometime back.

The place I worked also had WW2 machinery. The large milling machines would have a rough surface area and were marked " war finish"

Mort

I have seen Jackies heavy machinery but not the double E. Butch posted a picture of his being delivered sometime back.

The place I worked also had WW2 machinery. The large milling machines would have a rough surface area and were marked " war finish"

Mort

Mort,

Jackie uses his to turn case necks, amongst other things. IIRC, Butch has a Hardinge tool room lathe to go along with his 10EE. I would seriously consider trying to rob his shop if he wasn't armed to the teeth...

My dad told me a story about how, as a newbie machinist in the early sixties, he got detailed to make a doo-dad on an ancient, WW2 era Leblond. He grumbled and groused about having to work on such an antiquated POS, whereupon the boss told him it was the most accurate machine in the shop and to shutthehellup and get to it. Dad, not quite believing him, made said part, and quickly became a believer.

Dad would wax poetic about these old Monarchs and Leblonds that we would look at and I would think the cheese had finally slid off of the old man's cracker. And then I ran one...

It's amazing what those old machines are capable of.

Justin

Mort,

Jackie uses his to turn case necks, amongst other things. IIRC, Butch has a Hardinge tool room lathe to go along with his 10EE. I would seriously consider trying to rob his shop if he wasn't armed to the teeth...

My dad told me a story about how, as a newbie machinist in the early sixties, he got detailed to make a doo-dad on an ancient, WW2 era Leblond. He grumbled and groused about having to work on such an antiquated POS, whereupon the boss told him it was the most accurate machine in the shop and to shutthehellup and get to it. Dad, not quite believing him, made said part, and quickly became a believer.

Dad would wax poetic about these old Monarchs and Leblonds that we would look at and I would think the cheese had finally slid off of the old man's cracker. And then I ran one...

It's amazing what those old machines are capable of.

Justin

Your Dad and I have something in common....I hope he is in good health and still around.

All the best to you Justin.

Mort

Last edited:
Your Dad and I have something in common....I hope he is in good health and still around.

All the best too you Justin

Mort

Mort,

Thank you...Dad is still alive and kicking, and just a phone call away when this amateur gun-plumber needs help from a real machinist.

The best to you, my friend.

Justin

Ive watched a number

of Youtubes on and about the EE. Very nice machine. The electronics are a bit intimidating and tough to find parts for I think but they are great. Wish I had one. I also like the Hardinge Toolroom lathes. Pretty slick.

Pete

of Youtubes on and about the EE. Very nice machine. The electronics are a bit intimidating and tough to find parts for I think but they are great. Wish I had one. I also like the Hardinge Toolroom lathes. Pretty slick.

Pete

We used to make some really good machinery here. .....The quality was second to none. I don't what is made here anymore.

I don't how the electronics are going too improve the appearance of your threads. You might want to look at your cutting tool...relief, sharpness,etc.

Just a thought.

Mort

Actually; the Chinese made machines with single phase motors often show a very fine sine wave pattern on finish cuts and a slightly "frosty" appearance on threads. This seems to come from the vibration pattern of the motor which is rigidly mounted to the headstock. The 3 phase motors don't seem to cause the same issue. Isolating the motor from the headstock with rubber washers and bushings can make the problem almost disappear. I have heard that changing to a higher quality single phase motor (Baldor for example) also improves the smoothness a lot.

Back