Precision loading with a Dillon 550

R

rain164845

I am sure this has been covered before, but if you were to use custom bushing dies and weigh each charge, can a Dillon 550 load rounds that will win at 600 yards?
I have family obligations that are really cutting into my reloading time, and this might save some.
Thanks!

I am sure this has been covered before, but if you were to use custom bushing dies and weigh each charge, can a Dillon 550 load rounds that will win at 600 yards?
I have family obligations that are really cutting into my reloading time, and this might save some.
Thanks!

Progressives are really noted for quantity vice quality. Give it a try and see what happens. Knowledge comes through experience. :)

There are many people on the internet saying that the dies do all of the work and that a worn out sloppy rockchucker can load straight ammo. I don't really believe it myself, but I might just try it....
My main hesitation is having to set my dies back up, then if/when it doesn't work I'll have to do it all over again.

reloading nwith a dillon

I reload for prairie dogs using a dillon 650. I dont shoot bechrest anymore - none here.

6MMBR, 22-250 and 6x47 lapua

Dillon makes a powder drop die that is basically a funnel. I use 2 RCBS green machines to throw the powder (so I am not waiting on a machine), drop the powder through the powder drop die into the case and rock and roll. I can load 200-250 per hour doing this without rushing

The length comes out perfect and the concentrcity comes out generally less than 2 thousandths. You have to start with straight brass obviously.

On the sizing die, I use a lee lock ring that has the o-ring built into it. I think that helps

I use a RCBS T-7 turret press or a Hood press to reload rounds when I work up loads - I do not know that I load better ammo on those than I do on the Dillon.

For what it's worth

COL may vary as much as .010" Slop in linkage/press. If dies are contacting the shell plate, head to datum may not be the same. This is because each station may have a different deck height.
DillonShellPlate.jpg

It's the rifle...then the rounds

Some rifles will shoot anything and some will not. Sadly, there are rifles that won't shoot well at all. Probably, a case could be made for the rifles that shoot well one way (day) and not the other....but I don't know what causes that and it doesn't matter anyway. I don't know exactly how to say it but I'll say that we do and have done everything there is to do to try to win...and...it always boils down to the rifle.

Load the rounds however you like and see what happens. You'll know sooner than later if it's a good idea. If you lose either way, take a look at your rifle. You're there to win rather than "do well". Moving up from 5th to 4th is good, but not exactly what you're looking for.

Frankly, I'd like to know your average placement in matches where you loaded different ways. That would take a while....but I'd still like to know.

Paul

Paul,
Do you have any specific links to what you have done? Do you have any before and after results?

Did this on a Dillon 550 unmodified press:

At the Tuscon Arizona Sahuaro 1000 yard Match held November 8th Jerry Reisdorff set a new 1000 yard NBRSA Heavy Gun record with a 10-shot group of 4.960"! Jerry used a .338 cartridge of his own design and one of our .338 barrels. He did his own gunsmithing work. Congratulations Jerry!

:eek:
http://www.riflebarrels.com/winners/1000yards.htm#2002

Yes a Dillon 550 is capable of loading winning ammunition. Anyone who says elsewise just doesn't know what they're doing. (Actually, 99% of the people who chime in DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE!!) I'm one of those ones who states all over the innernet that a sloppy press will load perfect ammo. And I have Dillon stuff in my pile. And I DO test it, extensively.

And I DO load the same cases 50times, and shoot bugholes.

Now, here's your problem..... the 550 can reproduce perfectly straight rounds BUT.... it can't throw perfect powder charges. So I will agree with Wilber, triple.

Wilbur shoots 100-200, at 100-200 the powder charge has very little effect but guns/barrels/combinations are still hit-and-miss. You get a good barrel and you can load with a dipper and your fingers, and win. Same is basically true for 600yd BUT, powder charge also comes into play. 40-50fps ES can make a real mess of your 600yd target. (Altho some rifles/barrels DO adapt and overcome, "compensate" dramatically...)

For this reason I'd not choose to load progressively to win at 600......I would instead buy some more reloading blocks and work on my mass production system with full attention still being given to perfect powder charges.

It's what I DO do.

I, personally would be perfectly comfortable at a 100-200yd match loading a PPC/BR/308 case with light-for-caliber bullets expecting full accuracy with my gear.

But not for 600, me.

opinionby

al

dillon

Well, I would be weighing charges. I think what I'll do is set it up for my .223 and compare my shoulder bump consistency with what I get out of my rockchucker, and then compare my seating depth consistency with what I get out of my Harrel's press. If I get the same results/variance/es/etc. then maybe I'll switch the 6br over to the dillon and give it a whirl. I really hate to mess with the dies though, because they are set up PERFECTLY right now....
Thanks for the idears!

The world cup Palma match was held at the Whittington Center of few years ago. A gentleman, whose name escapes me now, an ex U2 pilot, loaded thousands of rounds of .308 ammo for people coming in from all parts of the world. He loaded this on a Dillon. I can't remember which model but I don't think it was a 1050. Anyway, it shot very well. I've loaded 30.06 on my Dillon 550 to use in my DCM M1 Garand. Using one clip I was able to pick off three Rams at 500 meters shooting offhand, no sling and with the combat sights. It also performed well shooting across the course matches. Yes you can load good performing rifle ammo on a Dillon 550. I have two of them now.

The world cup Palma match was held at the Whittington Center of few years ago. A gentleman, whose name escapes me now, an ex U2 pilot, loaded thousands of rounds of .308 ammo for people coming in from all parts of the world. I have two of them now.

Jerry,

Think you're getting information for two different Palma matches confused. Bob Jensen (former Marine) used four Dillon 550 presses to load all the ammo for Palma 92. Powder measures used on these presses were Dillons. The only rounds loaded using more precise charges (calibrated by case volume, not weight) were ones intended to be fired in the team matches. For the individual matches, issued ammo used thrown charges.

Practice ammo for the 1995 US Palma Team was loaded on a Dillon 650 (one unit). I forget the name of the gentleman who loaded it, but he may well have been a retired U2 pilot. Can't remember what powder measure was used, it may not have been a Dillon.

It is possible to load more precise charges on a Dillon. Simply throw the initial charge, weigh it on a precision balance, then trickle to within 0.02 grains. Note that production rate falls to about 100 rounds/hour when doing this.

Redding and Forester seating dies are used by more than a few Dillon press owners. I believe both companies state warranties are voided if these dies are used for loading on a progressive, especially when seating bullets on compressed powder charges. Doing this eventually flares the seater on Redding Competition dies, and may do the same for Foresters.

You can use powder vials full of previously weighed charges, use the adapter for a precision measure or use the dillon measure according to what you feel like your level of precision needs to be. Powder choice becomes important in a dillon of course.

The world cup Palma match was held at the Whittington Center of few years ago. A gentleman, whose name escapes me now, an ex U2 pilot, loaded thousands of rounds of .308 ammo for people coming in from all parts of the world. He loaded this on a Dillon. I can't remember which model but I don't think it was a 1050. Anyway, it shot very well. I've loaded 30.06 on my Dillon 550 to use in my DCM M1 Garand. Using one clip I was able to pick off three Rams at 500 meters shooting offhand, no sling and with the combat sights. It also performed well shooting across the course matches. Yes you can load good performing rifle ammo on a Dillon 550. I have two of them now.

I remember this article. The host country provided ammo and that year the US provided it. He used two Dillon 550's and used the Dillon powder measure/thrower along with precision dies. It was very good ammo and went through extensive testing before he got the contract.

I was watching a former member here set up a Dillon 550 to load 223 ammo for his stoner. What I am going to say next surprises even me, Mike in Col is right. When Jon got down to making his ammo the wobbly shell plate was the fist thing we fixed. He loaded some good ammo that day but never got to load a lot as cancer finally got him. His last idea was to machine an adapter to use his Harrels powder measure on top of the press as the one that came from Dillon did. I would have liked to see what his final out come would have been.

I really enjoy using my RL-550B for loading .45ACP and .44 magnum. But I really think the weak point is the Dillon powder measure. I can get it to work OK mostly for handgun stuff, but it is too inconsistent for high precision rifle stuff.

Using the 550 in it's most basic form, using the funnel is IMO the best way for accuracy.

I've of course got my Dillon's all decked out for full-auto everything, they look like miniature spacestations because I mainly use them for varminating and loading buckets of pistol rds....(IMO the Square Deal 'B' is still one of life's Great Values) but the basic press is still perty handy.

Using the 550 in it's most basic form, using the funnel is IMO the best way for accuracy.

I've of course got my Dillon's all decked out for full-auto everything, they look like miniature spacestations because I mainly use them for varminating and loading buckets of pistol rds....(IMO the Square Deal 'B' is still one of life's Great Values) but the basic press is still perty handy.

Al do you have your Dillons set up with auto bullet feed? I have the case feeder on one of mine but it's just set up for pistol calibers. I bought another 550 to use for rifle calibers. As far as I know Dillon doesn't support bullet feeding or rifle case feeding on their 550s. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Back