Practise Ammo For A 40X?

L

lockhart_13

I am interested in getting into rimfire benchrest and have a new to me Remington 40X with a hoehn tuner that has been tuned to shoot Tenex. I am looking for practice ammo that will be a bit easier on the wallet and am interested in what others might be using. I know that guns are very individualistic and that what works well in one gun may not work well in another, but I am about to order test lots and was hoping for some guidance in what to bring in before I order. All opinions are appreciated.

My Anschutz 64 BR likes Wolf Match Target for practice. It's about a dime a shot and averages 0.41" groups outside at 50 yards. The ammo it REALLY likes is any of the Eley EPS brands with average groups of 0.30", but that's 2 to 4 times the cost. From what I read on the rimfire forums, many shooters practice with the Wolf Match Target.

Cordially,
Blanco

Sorry for the typo in the title. I actually can spell. :mad: If there is a mod out there who can fix it I would be grateful.

I know you're not going to like this (and beleive me, I wish it wasn't true) but practising with ammo other than you're going to shoot in a match isn't going to help you very much. If you have an errant shot you won't know if it was you or the ammo. If your gun is tuned for Tenex it should shoot Match EPS just as well. That is the ammo of choice for most shooters I know. Sometimes you can find some decent lots of Eley Team. It's a little cheaper than Match. I'm sure we all wish the cost of good ammo would drop once in a while instead of spiraling up every few months. It's one of the crosses we have to bear as benchrest shooters.

If it is "tuned to shoot Tenex", (red box) then you won't be satisfied with anything less than Eley Match or Team (black or blue box). They come off the machines as one ammo They are graded red, black or blue box based on after manufacture testing. My suggestion is you use the test lots that don't hold up for you to shoot when you score the card. Use your good stuff when someone else is doing the scoring. I recently tested 29 lots of Black Box, bought one lot after testing and the remaining lots gives me plenty of play ammo.

Now you did not ask, but if you were told "its tuned for Tenex" it is likely tuned for one specific lot number. Me, I'd check the tune with whatever I'm shooting. Maybe five or ten clicks will make a difference, maybe not. Won't hurt to try. bob

The Wolf or SK offerings would be easier on the pocket and allow you to get familiar with the new rifle.
Next step up might be Lapua CenterX
After that you're gonna be into the Eley Team and Eley Match neighborhood.

Each step up should net a more consistent experience, with fewer fliers and unexpected shots.

If you look at the cost range of match acceptable ammo starting with Wolf and SK at the bottom,
and Lapua X-Act at the top, then consider the expected performance, the value of Eley Team,
or Eley Match is hard to beat.

If it is "tuned to shoot Tenex", (red box) then you won't be satisfied with anything less than Eley Match or Team (black or blue box). They come off the machines as one ammo They are graded red, black or blue box based on after manufacture testing. My suggestion is you use the test lots that don't hold up for you to shoot when you score the card. Use your good stuff when someone else is doing the scoring. I recently tested 29 lots of Black Box, bought one lot after testing and the remaining lots gives me plenty of play ammo.

Now you did not ask, but if you were told "its tuned for Tenex" it is likely tuned for one specific lot number. Me, I'd check the tune with whatever I'm shooting. Maybe five or ten clicks will make a difference, maybe not. Won't hurt to try. bob

Thank you for the good information. I'm sorry if my questions are on the ignorant side of things, but that is where I stand at the moment. I found I absolutely love shooting rimfire off of a bench and want to become as educated as possible with the idea of competing once I have built some competence and skill. I am recovering from knee surgery at the moment, but when I am able I am planning on attending some matches as a spectator where I hope to learn somethings first hand from experienced shooters. However, I am currently relegated to my recliner and the internet. Is there anything you can share with me about your process of checking the tune with each batch of ammo you shoot?

The Wolf or SK offerings would be easier on the pocket and allow you to get familiar with the new rifle.

Each step up should net a more consistent experience, with fewer fliers and unexpected shots.

If you look at the cost range of match acceptable ammo starting with Wolf and SK at the bottom,
and Lapua X-Act at the top, then consider the expected performance, the value of Eley Team,

Thank you very much

In the upper right hand side of the forum header is the search function. If you type in " adjust tuner" or "setting tuner " you get some 12+ pages of information. Narrowing it down a bit type Hopwell method and you should get the complete instruction for that method. That should keep you busy reading until the wee hours of the morning. Hope this helps some. PS: I am no good at trying to post the direct links. Also if you look at the far right hand column after the search results come up it states which part of the forum the thread was from ( rim fire center fire ect.)

In the upper right hand side of the forum header is the search function. If you type in " adjust tuner" or "setting tuner " you get some 12+ pages of information. Narrowing it down a bit type Hopwell method and you should get the complete instruction for that method. That should keep you busy reading until the wee hours of the morning. Hope this helps some. PS: I am no good at trying to post the direct links. Also if you look at the far right hand column after the search results come up it states which part of the forum the thread was from ( rim fire center fire ect.)

Thank you so much. I will do exactly that.

lockhart: pm sent. And I don't tune for the ammo. I tune the rifle and leave it alone after that. It is a different philosophy than some espouse. bob

Last edited:
with the idea of competing once I have built some competence and skill.

Don't wait, go to the first match you can. Bring what you got and shoot. You'll learn more and still have plenty of time to talk to the experienced shooters. You'll also see what they all use for equipment and may even be able to shoot some of it.

Ken

I agree with Ken.
Nothing like shooting in a match to build the competence and skill.

The nervousness and sense of anxiety you feel when shooting a match
can't really be recreated in a practice environment.

Don't make the mistake of overlooking Federal 711B for lower priced target ammo and 922A for intermediate priced($10 a box) ammo. Many shooters do. Both are very good in my Rem 37, 40X and 52C. --Greg

Last edited:
b/r shooting is like any other hobby what do you want to put into it to get to the leval you desire? i would imagine those champion shooters first of all shoot almost every day a major accomplishment in my mind. i know one pretty well and he uses whatever he is going to shoot at the b/r shoot and buys cases of ammo of the lot that works not bricks.

gets pretty expensive in money and time to get where you want to go.

bob

Practice time will probably be my biggest issue. I know this isn't the cheapest endeavor to begin upon and I am prepared for that. There is an indoor range I shoot at with 50 yard rifle bays a couple of blocks from work so I could go there in the evenings, but getting outside and playing with Mr. Wind is going to be a bigger challenge and that is certainly where I need to be. I have discovered that I can spend many a happy hour at a bench with a rimfire rifle trying to get the most accurate shot and I am very interested in all of the different variables that go into accuracy and how to address them. I think participation in this sport can make me happy for years to come even thought it will be separating me from a lot of cash.

I'm going to add something that flies in the face of what a lot that has been posted about ammo. A new shooter should practice with decent ammo but, don't worry about finding killer or the most expensive ammo available. When you first start shooting in the wind you wouldn't know if you have killer ammo or not anyway. After you gain some experience and know where a shot should go, look for better/more expensive ammo. The most important thing is trigger time, lots of it. Don't chery pick your days shoot all the conditions. If you don't shoot the wind, you won't learn the wind. They don't cancel matches because there is a little or a lot of wind. By decent ammo I do not mean anything that comes in a carton or tin can. Stick with the middle grades of Lapua, Eley, RWS.

Ken

I'm going to add something that flies in the face of what a lot that has been posted about ammo. A new shooter should practice with decent ammo but, don't worry about finding killer or the most expensive ammo available. When you first start shooting in the wind you wouldn't know if you have killer ammo or not anyway. After you gain some experience and know where a shot should go, look for better/more expensive ammo. The most important thing is trigger time, lots of it. Don't chery pick your days shoot all the conditions. If you don't shoot the wind, you won't learn the wind. They don't cancel matches because there is a little or a lot of wind. By decent ammo I do not mean anything that comes in a carton or tin can. Stick with the middle grades of Lapua, Eley, RWS.

Ken

Ken,
The issue for me right now is that I'm trying to get better at standing 50 foot rimfire using irons. As I've begun to refine my ability to find the right stance, my breathing, hold and trigger control I can tell if I've pulled a shot or not. So, using Federal 711B helps my cost of practice...practice that is hugely important in trying to get better...and when the trigger breaks and I'm doing my part concentration wise I can tell if it was me or an ammo flyer. jmho. --greg

Greg,

My comments are directed toward benchrest shooting. I agree with the almost any ammo at 50' offhand. I used to use CCI Blazers at 50'. Now I use Lapua Master. Like to say my shooting is that much better to justify the extra cost. Truth is that lot doesn't shoot in my bench guns. So rather than let it sit in the corner forever I shoot it.

Ken

Greg,

My comments are directed toward benchrest shooting. I agree with the almost any ammo at 50' offhand. I used to use CCI Blazers at 50'. Now I use Lapua Master. Like to say my shooting is that much better to justify the extra cost. Truth is that lot doesn't shoot in my bench guns. So rather than let it sit in the corner forever I shoot it.

Ken

Ken I would agree 50 yd and beyond benchrest is more demanding all the way around including the ammo. The rimfire BR shooting I do, club shoots, I've settled on Federal 922A in my 37 and 52. However if I was going to take up rimfire br firing a $10 box of ammo a day would just be cost prohibative for me. I think the issue then would become finding something cheaper that gave good results and allowed me to practice my bench techniques and flag reading. Some who have never shot BR think its just a matter of pointing the gun in the rest and everything else just happens, that old point and shoot commentary. Ah, right :). --Greg

Last edited:
Back