Powders for 6mm Dasher

Charles E

curmudgeon
What powders are in common use for the 6mm Dasher with 100-110 grain bullets? Varget & Rel-15 I know of. Any others? (Not looking for load data, just which powders have worked for people.)

If I understood what I've read, and thats a big "If" 8208XBR has shown good results.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new IMR 8208XBR may also be great.

Initial tests show that it is very accurate with about 31 -31.5 grains behind a 106 Clinch River bullet. I plan to test it some more when the weather breaks. James

i ran some 8208 recently with a decent prooven rifle. it impressed me at 200 yards when i got up into the snappin hot end. i took it to 1k, and shot it under great conditions/no conditions, i won't be switching. i did'nt try "everything", just the couple charges that looked good. it did'nt do enough to make me want to stack up the round count on my barrel. it did seem to run pretty clean though, and might have potential with some tweeking.
tom

Dasher

Charles, i think a lot of the Montana shooters are using H 4895. Matt Kline

Charles.......While I'm shooting a BRX, (they are pretty close) I got some decent results with N-135 and the 105 A-max.
Rich De

it was sposta say that here

when i last responded. yes, matt about 75% would be my guess. the other 24.5% r15, and i left .5% because someone tries varget once in a while im sure.
tom

I've always gotten good results with N150 in my Dashers with 105-107gr. bullets. It gives a little more velocity than Varget on average.

I just wanted to mention Norma-203-b powder works well for 6 BR , 6 BRX and 6 Dasher cartridges. It is very similar to RL-15 in burn rate and you can use load data for RL-15. 203-b seems to be more consistant lot to lot than RL-15. Powder Valley usually has 203-b in stock.

Rodney

Tom,
Charge weights with N150 were about one grain or less heavier than what I loaded with Varget, so load density was fine. A couple of friends have been using nothing but N550 with DTAC 115s in their Dashers for LR prone HP loads. They're loading for a little over 2900fps out of 28" bbls.

Initial tests show that it is very accurate with about 31 -31.5 grains behind a 106 Clinch River bullet. I plan to test it some more when the weather breaks. James

i shouldve posted to this earlier...
that would make sense james, i was trying to run it up into the rl-15 velocity node, and it just would not do it safely. my lot, i would have guessed the next node down to be 30.5-31ish. it was starting to come, but there is no better way to ruin a good trackin gun then to have to pry the bolt open each time.
tom

Back