Powder uniforming

C

Cheechako

If you're tired of getting your butt kicked because of irregualr powder granules, this is the answer to your prayers.

2jaykj9.jpg

What's the point unless you can trim them to length as well - or is their a milling table accessory?

I've been thinking about buying some of those drills for a while now. They would be great to bore through a finger nail to relieve the bruising when you clobber yourself with a hammer.

What's the point unless you can trim them to length as well . . .

John

I've done quite a bit of testing and found that most powders do not need to be trimmed to length. Simply uniforming the holes improved accuracy by up to 87%. Trimming to length added only an additonal 2 to 3 percent reduction in group size. Not hardly worth the extra effort.

Ray

Yes Vern, it was meant as an April Fool joke. With today's computers it's easy for some guys to make up elaborate hoaxes like that. I collect cartridges and have seen some very detailed "photographs" of very rare cartridges and boxes that have been photo-shopped and have fooled even the most knowledgeable experts. The cartridges and boxes do not exist, of course, only the photographs.

Here's another one.

http://www.threadedprimers.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ray,
Ya' gotta click the order link.
For being hammered the guy sure remembered the Lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody well.

James

So............who makes these bits and presses? You know.......just in case a guy had some time on his hands and, you know.......might want to try one out. Not that I would be interested, but I have a buddy that knows a friend that might be interested. ;)

I've been thinking.

Would it be better to uniform by hand with the hope that the drill would center on the existing hole which could cause differential wall thicknesses or do them in the press & worry that you could leave voids if the hole was originally eccentric.

I'm beginning to think that it would be better to dissolve the powder back to a slurry & cast them individually in a precision mold - or would you risk getting different densities at different times of the day.

Easy solution.
Get rid of the holes, just put it into a blender and grind it up into a powder.

Easy solution.
Get rid of the holes, just put it into a blender and grind it up into a powder.

Then you wouldn't have to use as much powder. Kind of like coffee, the finer the grind the less coffee it takes by volume of course, to get the same strength of coffee. Hum, maybe I need to start using my chargemaster to weigh my coffee in the morning. ;)

I've been thinking.

Would it be better to uniform by hand with the hope that the drill would center on the existing hole which could cause differential wall thicknesses or do them in the press & worry that you could leave voids if the hole was originally eccentric.

I'm beginning to think that it would be better to dissolve the powder back to a slurry & cast them individually in a precision mold - or would you risk getting different densities at different times of the day.

I think Kielly's perty well defined the problem....... the entire concept is flawed. When the holes are eccentric to the outer surface you're basically hosed with this system. EITHER you'll get nice even off-center holes, or nicely centered but TOO LARGE holes. Or you grind 'er all up and start over.

I guess there is one simple solution that hasn't been mentioned, culling. One could, using this method FIND the off-center granules and cull them out like you do with bad brass cases but this seems overly time oppressive.

IMO a better solution is to scrap the whole process and redesign something that works from the inside out like a neck turner. Probably using a small lathe (A larger lathe like Jackie Schmidt uses would be cumbersome) one would gently uniform the inner holes and then, using a fitted mandrel, one would turn off the excess outside material and reapply deterrent coating of choice. I do foresee a small problem with overlap of the old and new deterrent coating but hopefully this could be approached via a two-application process, maybe one would have to "wet" the overlap area using a small brush and let is come to consistency before application of the new coating. This detail is probably not worthy of comment until the lathe system is perfected......

al

Then you wouldn't have to use as much powder. Kind of like coffee, the finer the grind the less coffee it takes by volume of course, to get the same strength of coffee. Hum, maybe I need to start using my chargemaster to weigh my coffee in the morning. ;)

I'm using a Jones to drop Coffeemate....+/- a tenth.

Back