Powder measuring question

E

EW308

Hello,
I've been using a RCBS 750 electronic scale for a while now and about 75 percent of the time I love it and about 25 percent of the time it drives me crazy, by not going back to .0 for some reason it will stop at .1 and then go to .0 eventually. Maybe a Pact or higher priced electronic scale is the fix for my problem ?

Question, what do you guys prefer for you're benchrest reloading, a electronic scale, beam scale or drop style powder measure aka Harrell, RCBS powder measure etc... Thank you Ed

Because, I check it reguarly with known accurate metalic weights and a beam scale. Thanks Ed

Try wiping the scale and pan with a fabric sofener sheets. Keep away from fluorescent lighting, cell phones, and drafts. My son has a 750 and it has always been problematic.

I have two Dillions . One is old i bought it in the mid 80,s and it has always been like yours .
The other is obout a year old and is rock solid al the time .

I use a ChargeMaster ...i preload for matches. I verify the weights like you do. The Harrells and other drop measures may not drop course powders uniformly.

I use a charge master and it does the same thing. What drives me crazy the most is when I load at matches it has to be recalibrated several times throught the day. When I punch in the weight and hit dispence it says error. The range I shoot at has a coverd shed we load and shoot under and between matches powder falls out of the tube into the pan and causes it to loose its setting.Also the last few matches the knob on the side where you drain the powder has started turning on its on when the firing line is hot.Needless to say when you return to your loading bench to find half your powder on the table it does not make for a good day. I had to start putting tape over it to stop it. I bought it so I will half to make do with it for now but not happy at all. As soon as money allows I will for sure switch to a Harrells they are alot faster plenty accurate and not nearly as agravating. No batterys or drop cords needed to use a Harrells although the charge master works great for loading at home.

Hi All, I'm wondering if LHSmith might be on to something with the florescent lighting and cell phones close by, because when I first bought the 750, it seemed to work great and I was in the computer room with regular light bulbs, not florescent tube lighting, most of the time now I'm using the 750 in the garage with florescent lighting everywhere. ??? Ed

I have used a good electronic scale that runs on AC. Based on that experience, I would say that putting some sort of conditioner on on the power supply might help. Various loads being turned on and off, and by their nature can cause momentary fluctuations and distortions in the power. These irregularities can cause a scale to behave erratically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_conditioner

I'm with you, Boyd. I picked up a little UPS for a handful of bucks for that reassurance - & only using incandescent lighting.

I agree that the lighting and cell phones may have an effect on the charge master. But for me that is all the more reason to switch over to a Harrells. I have a truck load of stuff to unload at the matches now. Pretty sure I dont want to add cardboard signs with stands that says PLEASE TURN OFF ALL CELL PHONES WHEN WALKING CLOSE TO MY LOADING BENCH. And some light bulbs so I can change them out over the table.

if plus or minus 0.1 or so is acceptable to you then a std relading scale or inexpensive electronic such as the 750 or the chergemaster is fine.
if you want better than "maybe if plus or minus 0.1" then go lab scale.
the top twenty at the super shoot used n133 powder...that powder in a premium powder thrower is plus or minus 0.2 with an occassional .3 thrown....
mike in co
Hello,
I've been using a RCBS 750 electronic scale for a while now and about 75 percent of the time I love it and about 25 percent of the time it drives me crazy, by not going back to .0 for some reason it will stop at .1 and then go to .0 eventually. Maybe a Pact or higher priced electronic scale is the fix for my problem ?

Question, what do you guys prefer for you're benchrest reloading, a electronic scale, beam scale or drop style powder measure aka Harrell, RCBS powder measure etc... Thank you Ed

Mike dont fall over but Im gonna agree with you. Theres so much other stuff can go wrong the powder charge being off a .1 dont make that much difference in my oponion. my harrells will throw pretty close to that with 133 and you getting your speed on your charging handle the same every charge.

One suggestion, if you are going to use a powder measure, don't assume that you are getting the results that you want without doing quite a bit of repeated practice checking your work with an accurate scale. I have a friend who has an electronic scale that he never uses (He has a Chargemaster that meets his needs.) that measures to .02 gr. Having done a few favors for him, he has been nice enough to lend me the scale for a week at a time, several times. I have used that time to work on my measure technique, and over time I have been able to learn quite a bit about what works as far as measure technique goes. IMO there is no substitute for this kind of practice. Nothing that anyone can tell you is a substitute. It can help, but you really need to be able to see the results of what you are doing. One more thing, don't limit your exploration of technique to what you commonly see in print.

i think i agree with you..lol
there is so much n133 shot, and it still wins....that it is "soft" as far as a load window goes....but i still wonder what if...what if they were really all 29.2..just how small would that group have been ??( instead of 29.2, 29.4 29.3, 29.1,29.2)
i dont shoot n133 anymore.
i won't tell anyone you agreed with me..we will keep it quite.
mike in co
Mike dont fall over but Im gonna agree with you. Theres so much other stuff can go wrong the powder charge being off a .1 dont make that much difference in my oponion. my harrells will throw pretty close to that with 133 and you getting your speed on your charging handle the same every charge.

I use a Jones powder measure. I only throw a charge in the pan of my RCBS 5-0-5 scale when I'm curious what load I'm using. With powders like H332, N133, 8208 XBR and 748 I can easily throw charges to +/- .1 grs.

If something works, leave it alone, but if you ever get to spend some time with an electronic scale that reads to .02 grain, I would be interested in what it says you are throwing with 133.

how do you know that ??
the scale is AT BEST plus or minus 0.1.....
and yes i challenge anyone that cliams they can THROW n133 at plus or minus 0.1...MEASURED A ON A SCALE THAT IS MORE SENSITIVE THAN 0.1.
BEEN there done that ..it aint happenin"
data been posted, backup by others...
mike in co
I use a Jones powder measure. I only throw a charge in the pan of my RCBS 5-0-5 scale when I'm curious what load I'm using. With powders like H332, N133, 8208 XBR and 748 I can easily throw charges to +/- .1 grs.

Back