Powder deterioration

shinny

Shinny
Does powder deterioriate if it is left in a powder measure for a extended period of time rather than being capped in its original continer :confused:

Sunlight, humidity, and wide ranges of temp can all decompose powder. How fast? depends on type of powder, range of changes, and amount. If your powder measure is clear the sunlight can get in and start the process. I'm guessing it would take quite awhile, but why chance it? One simple test you can do is to smell the powder - if it has an acidy smell - its done. My suggestion - if you're not going to use it for 3-4 days - put it back in the dark bottle it came in.

Stanley

Last edited:
Shinny I will address a different part that you didnt
I once ruined the plastic powder part of an rcbs thrower.
I left bullseye in it for an extended period of time.
The powder eventually melted/fused or otherwise made itself a part of the plastic and would not come out.
Not even with scraping and a few trips through the dishwasher.
FWIW

Good advice. Some powder, I saw Bullseye once, actually have the chemistry begin to "eat" into the plastic of the Lyman 55 reservoir, and simultaneously cake up solid. The friend had about 3 inches or so in the powder measure that had been left for probably 2-4 weeks, and that reservoir was shot; not all the powder could be removed, and there were little craters all around the interior where the powder etched into the plastic. Since I started reloading, I never left powder in the measures, but that display made my habit somewhat rigid. Whenever I'm tired, or want to get done and to bed, that image always comes to mind, like it was yesterday...

Yeah, Vern, you were a faster typist, and shorter, too. When I started, only Apollo had posted, I hit post, and Bingo, there you were.

But you did a good job.

I was talking with Dennis from Harrell's precision today about storing smokeless powder in their bottles. He said that his partner keeps powder in his powder measure bottle for long periods without any effect on the powder or the bottle. I wonder why the powder manufactures use black plastic instead of clear? Must be a good reason.

The black plastic bottles powder is stored in is completely different than the plastic that is on the top of rcbs and redding powder measures
That would probably be the big diff

The dark plastis is to prevent sunlight from deterioration the powder. Powder was first sold in paper cans later metal cans and finally the dark platic. Also in steel drums painted dark colors. Brown or dark glass bottles also work. The object is to keep the Uv rays off the powder. I got this from an old reloading book.

Back