Pop pop pop pop pop . . . . . .

M

Montana Pete

I was up at the range Saturday shooting some rifle, when we kept hearing fusillades of shots from behind the hill . . . sounded like someone was lighting off strings of lady fingers.

Turns out it was a particular handgun competition where two shooter competed to knock down targets. Very fast firing, and misses were frequent. Holster rigs for the shooters usually included at least four filled magazine pockets.

I have also watched USPSA shoots at the club using AR-type rifles. These matches occur at close range, and require extensive rapid firing. Again, if you were on the other side of the hill, it might sound like someone was lighting off strings of lady fingers.

Cowboy action shooting also burns up the ammo pretty smartly.

Don't get me wrong. I have no objection to any shooting sport, and I'm sure the participants enjoy these matches. "Have at it, " I say.

It occurs to me that ammunition bills must run very high. Some of these events require at least 140 rds of ammo to just shoot the course once.

Seems to me that Federal, Winchester, and Remington are going to be the real winners over the long haul. My wallet is telling me to keep going with my slow, steady style of target shooting.

Pete

If you shoot a lot of Benchrest tournaments over the year, plus load testing, plus practice, it's easy to go through several thousand rounds. And, BR bullets are a lot more expensive than the lead slugs that most action shooters use. And so is the brass.

There is no shooting competition that is inexpensive.

JMHO

Ray

I was up at the range Saturday shooting some rifle, when we kept hearing fusillades of shots from behind the hill . . . sounded like someone was lighting off strings of lady fingers.

Turns out it was a particular handgun competition where two shooter competed to knock down targets. Very fast firing, and misses were frequent. Holster rigs for the shooters usually included at least four filled magazine pockets.

I have also watched USPSA shoots at the club using AR-type rifles. These matches occur at close range, and require extensive rapid firing. Again, if you were on the other side of the hill, it might sound like someone was lighting off strings of lady fingers.

Don't get me wrong. I have no objection to any shooting sport, and I'm sure the participants enjoy these matches. "Have at it, " I say.

It occurs to me that ammunition bills must run very high. Some of these events require at least 140 rds of ammo to just shoot the course once.

Seems to me that Federal, Winchester, and Remington are going to be the real winners over the long haul. My wallet is telling me to keep going with my slow, steady style of target shooting.

It occurs to me that our choices are our own :)

for now

My wife and I tried the action pistol or "racegunning" thing, TON'safun and yes you carry your ammo out in a bucket.

Hey, I also light my firecrackers in piles of thousands, even tens of thousands, at a time............ because I can.

al

Hey, I also light my firecrackers in piles of thousands, even tens of thousands, at a time............ because I can.

It appears your pocketbook is deeper than mine . . . . .

When I was a kid, we used to shoot off our firecrackers one at a time.

Actually, I would really enjoy giving some of these sports a try, but while I own about 14 firearms, I don't have a single one that would be permitted in these competitions.

One thing about those people who waist all that ammo is they help pay for our ranges with their membership.

We all have to work together or we will not have any place to shoot.

Concho Bill

Pete

If you shoot a lot of Benchrest tournaments over the year, plus load testing, plus practice, it's easy to go through several thousand rounds. And, BR bullets are a lot more expensive than the lead slugs that most action shooters use. And so is the brass.

There is no shooting competition that is inexpensive.

JMHO

Ray

How about shotgun X-card? Each match is one shot and the shell is provided.:) I like just about any kind of shooting, but I don't quite understand the attraction of this one.:confused:

Cheers,
Keith

It's a very popular game and has been rapidly growing for several years. I've shot both and prefer BR but maybe we should open our eyes to what they are doing and why it's so popular while BR can't come anywhere close to their numbers. They offer classes where off the shelf guns can compete as well as full blown race guns that can cost two or three times as much as a BR rig. The 3-gun shooters can have more 5-6k in each gun! Then shoot 5-600 rounds at some of the bigger matches. I don't know why BR isn't more popular by comparison as I've never met a shooter that didn't appreciate small groups...but I think that they disprove the theory that cost is too great for BR. I personally think it has alot to do with the fact that they can compete within classes that accomodate their shooters with stock or nearly so, guns and on up. I know it's been discussed and there seems to not be an easy fix for it, but BR needs to emphasize a factory class. In what other game does one need to build a top fuel dragster just to compete as a beginner. The AR class is a good area to work this in but we need a loosely ruled class for factory hunting and varmint guns as well IMO. Maybe something where only guns with factory roll mark on the barrels can compete in differnt weight classes, and just about anything else is a go. We can and should make it a bunch easier for new shooters to get started in OUR game. I hope I didn't get too far off subject but we are missing the boat with new shooters and I don't think it's all about the costs.---Mike Ezell

Yeah. Well, if it hadn't been for................

Benelli and their "steadyrest"(?)(Turkey stock) an' those evil AR competitions, and Remington getting into the pistol grip stocks for rifles and turkey guns, :eek::eek: it would have been a bunch easier to get them outlawed, as the bloomberg-ers were saying, "....dere's no NEED for any gunz w'dose NASTY ol' piss-tol grips hangin' down dere..." :rolleyes: Then, Uncle Swindle woul'da come along and said, "OK, New Yaawk Pete, you don' NEED this, OR this or that, n' that, AN THAT!!" And, before you knew it, yer ol' Moss'bak Mossberg woudda bin gone, and dam'fair wouldn'a been something new to whine about......;):D

Yep,they burn a lot of ammo(maybe that's why the price is so high on powder and primers) But i shoot skeet and go thru several thousand rounds per year,so i8t is all what a person likes,but like you,i stand on the other side of the hill and hear them light off and it sounds like a war.
They love it and have a lot of fun.
It is hard for me to go to the rifle range and shoot a 100 rounds in my BR rifle,cleaning,reloading,fireforming brass and breaking in a new barrel is like watching paint dry,while those guys on the pistol range are going full blast.
Kinda makes you wonder??????????????
\

Back