Poor boy needs advice on Savage choices

I'm 95% in the Southwest (AZ and So Cal) the other 5% I'm either in Texas or Nevada it just depends where business takes me!

... I honestly don't know which discipline I would prefer but my guess would be for score! .... I "think" I'd want to stick to either 223 or 308 for my first one as I've been told ...

Why you should go to a match. NO ONE in even semi-serious competition shoots these chambeings. If you're going to live with "what some guy said," at least start out with guys who are in more or less the same ball game. And that's not internet shooters, either.

Well, it's your money.

Listen to what these guys are telling you. While Savage makes a very good rifle, it is NOT what you want for shooting score matches. For one thing, the "benchrest" model won't make weight in any class unless they've figured out a way to take off a pound or two. To be competitive, you'll need to shoot a .30 cal in IBS or NBRSA matches and a .308 will beat you to death. Your best bet would be to go to a match and ask lots of questions. You should be able to get a used rifle that will work for you and not spend much more than for the Savage that won't. But like Charles said, it's your money.

Rick

I hear you guys but what are your suggestions on calibers etc to look for then? I want a good starter rifle so i can learn the sport with. I am a competitive person by nature so instead of just going to the range id like to compete in some matches! What features do you recommend? I'm just trying to gain a basic knowledge of what to look for as I have ZERO knowledge on the subject of target shooting other than going to the range and just having fun! I don't know the competitive side of the sport at all! I'm am willing to hear what you have to say I just like to hear specific information as opposed to generalities.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

It depends on what kind of match you're going to shoot in. For example, even in "short-range score shooting" what works in one class/format won't necessarily work in another.

If you don't know what you're going to do, I'd try to find a used benchrest rifle with a bolt face that will handle both PPC and BR size cases. You'll want one that'll make 10.5 or 13.5 lbs with scope. That's "LV" and "HV", respectively.

You'll find more of them that are 6 PPC and for 10.5 lbs than anything else. Not that that is necessarily your best bet for all classes/formats.

Try to get one with dies that match it's chamber and brass used in that specific chamber. If you can get them to tell you what reamer was used to cut it, even better. If you can't this stuff, it's not a show-stopper. They might even be able to give you a dummy round to show you the seating depth that it likes.

Shoot the barrel that's with it. Learn the ropes. Learn what you want to do. The rifle might then be what you want, it might be able to easily be made into what you want or, at worst, you can sell it for pretty much what you have in it.

All the folks here have been helped along by others. We are always happy to help a new shooter.

Best,

Greg Jennings

I hear you guys but what are your suggestions on calibers etc to look for then? I want a good starter rifle so i can learn the sport with. I am a competitive person by nature so instead of just going to the range id like to compete in some matches! What features do you recommend? I'm just trying to gain a basic knowledge of what to look for as I have ZERO knowledge on the subject of target shooting other than going to the range and just having fun! I don't know the competitive side of the sport at all! I'm am willing to hear what you have to say I just like to hear specific information as opposed to generalities.
Thanks,
Joe

Being a new shooter, the best advise I can give is don't re-invent the wheel. Go to some match's in the area, and see what classes they offer, what the rules are, how many attendance in that class they have and so forth. Then tailor your equipment to that match. If they offer a factory class, make sure that they have a few shooters shooting in that class, shooting a class by yourself sucks, and get bore ring real quick. If all they offer is full out Benchrest guns, shooting a factory gun will suck, and again get bore ring real quick. Your main goal is to get into this, and not get bummed out and quit. I would rather get my butt kicked every match, and be competitive, than showing up without a prayer. You don't have to spend big bucks to get started, buying use stuff, and looking for bargains on stuff that will suffice works well. When you get into a competition community they will help you out, and find you great equipment. The main thing is don't make the internet your source of knowledge.

As an older newbie, a relatively new F class shooter, I have greatly enjoyed my Savage Model 12 F class rifle in 6mmBR, with a Weaver T36 mounted. We shoot at 300, 500 and 600 yards. I will admit that most of the top shooters in my club have custom rifles, but one of the most consistent top shooters prefers to spend his money on multiple Savage 12s, stock, with Weaver T-36 scopes; he has four rigs in different calibres, he does just fine. I wouldn't be afraid of a Savage factory rifle, if you later want to move up, you should have decent resale value.

As an older newbie, a relatively new F class shooter, I have greatly enjoyed my Savage Model 12 F class rifle in 6mmBR, with a Weaver T36 mounted. ... I wouldn't be afraid of a Savage factory rifle, if you later want to move up, you should have decent resale value.

Believe he wanted to shoot benchrest. See Greyfox's post, #44

The Savage model 12 in BR configuration weights, according to Google, 12.75 pounds. The F/TR is given as 12.65 pounds.

As the weight limit for the Heavy Varmint class is 13.5 pounds, that isn't going to allow much of a scope. The lightest BR scope (a Leupold no longer made) was around 14 ounces. Need to add the weight of rings & bases to that.

Light Varmint has a 10.5 pound weight limit for the rifle as shot (e.g., including scope). Most group shooters shoot an LV in everything but unlimited. Some even in unlimited, these days. Most score shooters do use HV at least, in the iBS.

So the rifle is not competitive in that it doesn't conform to short-range benchrest rules. It would be legal in 600 and 1,000 yard benchrest. Out west, (Calif-Arizona) there are 1,000 yard benchrest matches at two clubs, I think, Sacramento and Tucson, both NBRSA affiliates. Most 1,000 yard shooters shoot in the IBS, but if you don't care about national competition, that doesn't matter -- only the two club's match schedule is important. Maybe be a bit different with 600 yards.

Please remember when giving advice to potential new shooters, who want to shoot a sport slightly different than yours, that the rules matter along with the capabilities of the rifle.

Last edited:
Back