Pool Tools

Louis.J

Charles S Pool was making and supplying both re-decappers and straight line seating tools with Micrometer heads from about the mid 50's to late 60's does anyone own and or still use these tools?

J.Louis

I have a combination capper/ decapper with built-in primer pocket cleaners for both small & large primer pockets. It has great feel for seating primers and is very quick for decapping. It's a great tool. I wish someone would make them again out of stainless for an affordable price.

Larry

I have a combination capper/ decapper with built-in primer pocket cleaners for both small & large primer pockets. It has great feel for seating primers and is very quick for decapping. It's a great tool. I wish someone would make them again out of stainless for an affordable price.

Larry

Larry,

Any chance you could post some pictures? I am trying to identify some items I saw at a pawn shop the other day.

Thanks,

DougF

The Story Of The Pool Tool By Gerald A Cleave was an article published in Precision Shooting March 1998 and it gives a full description of the Tools made. The re-de primer evolved and at one time also included sizing dies. If you happen to have that issue there are plenty of pictures for one to review. Gerald is a close friend of mine and Charles S Pool of which he referred to as Uncle Charlie left him his lathe and tooling to carry on with making more tools. He has made some for his local shooting group and Uncle Charle turned out 322 tools in total for some well known shooters such as Graf Hollidge, Clyde Harte, Gene Beecher, Frank Hubberd to name a few. If anyone owns a Pool Tool you can send Mr. Cleave an SASE with a couple of stamps and the serial number and he can tell when and whom it was made for. The making of the Tools was a past time to keep him busy doing something after his retirement and at one point Remington Arms working with Uncle Charlie to start producing the tools.

DougF- here are some pics of what I believe to be a Poole Tool. It uses Lyman decapping pins.

Larry

Attachments

• PT-6.jpg
    PT-6.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,131
  • PT-5.jpg
    PT-5.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,184
  • PT-4.jpg
    PT-4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,394
  • PT-3.jpg
    PT-3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,634
  • PT-2.jpg
    PT-2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,642
  • PT-1.jpg
    PT-1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,916
Last edited:
DougF- here are some pics of what I believe to be a Poole Tool. It uses Lyman decapping pins.

Larry

Larry,

Thank you. The tool is very nicely made. The items I saw were equally well made but looked more like an oversize pair of pliers.

DougF

Larry

The original designer for that tool was Mr Pope and it was listed in the sixth handloaders digest as being made by Jerry Simmons..........just a bit of trivia......Ian

Ian & Larry the tool looks just like both the Pope and the Simmons. Charles Pool took the Pope design and improved on it, I am looking at a picture of it as I type. Larry if you can get me the number of the tool I can get you the information on who it was made for and when if it was indeed made by Charles Pool. His first three tools were made in 1953 and the last tool of regular production tool # 322 was shipped on Oct. 24 of 1967. Ian I am not sure but I believe this pre-dates the start of production by Jerry Simmons of which could be a copy of Mr. Pools Tool if anyone is interested I could check with the relative who has all of the build records and get back to all of you. He also offers a repair service if the tool has been damaged.

J.Louis

I am now thinking my tool is probably made by Simmons rather than Pool. I can't locate a serial #. My tool has 3 shellholders- .222, BR (308 w/ small rifle primer size), and PPC. I have 2 decapping rods, nominal .224 & nominal .243. I bought it new in the middle '70's.

The Bald Eagle tool is somewhat similar, but doesn't decap or clean primer pockets. See pic.

I sure wish someone with CNC machinery would manufacture an upgraded stainless Pool/ Simonson design based tool for sale. Maybe the design could be simplified by using a shell holder design similar to the Sinclair & the 21st Century priming tool utilizing interchangeable Lee-type shell holders. IMHO, the major advantage of the Pool type tool over other currently available priming tools is that I can decap, clean primer pockets and prime with one easy to use tool. I prefer to decap by hand rather than with a die, while resizing.

I would lend my tools to someone willing to try to make the tool.

Larry

Attachments

• BaldEagleTool_1.jpg
    BaldEagleTool_1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 460
Larry Meacham tool makes a copy of the Pope / Simmons and it takes the RCBS shell holders, you can also get a variety of de-capping arms. I shoot breach seated lead bullets and thus load at the bench and I have used one for years. It is better quality than the Simmons in my opinon and sold mine to a fellow competitor.

Buffalo Arms has them listed in there web site. http://www.buffaloarms.com/primer_handling_tools_pr-3773.aspx

Last edited:
Yes indeed those are pics of a pool tool. the handles are.310, which is a little narrow for me so I use a piece of small diameter black heater hose as handle covers on both of my Pool Tools. That brings the diameter out to .415 which is fits my hand a lot better. Also, I use a small fat O ring on the base of the decapping pin to keep it from getting in the way when you are seating primers. I have also replaced the steel primer pocket cleaners with carbide 4 flute pocket cleaners. one for small and one for large. I bought my tools from a fellow by the name of Phil Sauer. He was one really cool dude and a good friend of mine.The guy was an engineer and a genius. Some of you might remember him.

Yes indeed those are pics of a pool tool. the handles are.310, which is a little narrow for me so I use a piece of small diameter black heater hose as handle covers on both of my Pool Tools. That brings the diameter out to .415 which is fits my hand a lot better. Also, I use a small fat O ring on the base of the decapping pin to keep it from getting in the way when you are seating primers. I have also replaced the steel primer pocket cleaners with carbide 4 flute pocket cleaners. one for small and one for large. I bought my tools from a fellow by the name of Phil Sauer. He was one really cool dude and a good friend of mine.The guy was an engineer and a genius. Some of you might remember him.

Shot with Phil for 25 years, quick funny story on Phil, who by the way was a Chemical Engineer, we went to the Crawfish along with Pat Canning and Dwight Scott. Phil and I in one room and Pat and Dwight in the other. Phil was a hard-core reader and he read at night. Single beds, light in between, went to bed, light on so Phil could read, I could not sleep, looked at Phil, sound asleep with the book in his hand, turned out the light and snuggled up for a good night sleep, click, light goes on, wait for 5 mins, look over, Phil sound asleep with book, turn light out and snuggle, light goes back on, this went on for about an hour. Finally pull the covers over my head. Next night I made sure I had a bunch of liquid refreshments, got to bed before he did and went to sleep. Phil cursed me all next day, seems he could not sleep because someone was snoring so loud. Great man, sure do miss him.

Back