Pointing dies

skeetlee

Whats the scoop on bullet pointing dies? Are these dies worth the 200 bucks they usually cost? If so who has the better die for the job? I played with one a couple weeks back at a buddy's place and it worked pretty good. He had different tips he could place up inside the die to fine tune the bullet. I didnt think to see who made the die though. I didnt figure i would ever buy one of these, and i probably still wont unless, i can be sure its worth the expense. I have another good friend that has one and he said he didnt see any improvement on paper after pointing his 105's vld bullets. Just a little curious about this. Thanks Lee

I can say this much. I have done a lot with the Hoover/Accuracy One pointing die lately and it's a premium well thought out product in all respects (micrometer top, specific bullet tailored pointing inserts, etc). As far as my work with it, it's the sorting and uniforming of the bullets that makes for a more accurate batch of bullets and the pointing predominantly deals with increasing bullet b.c.. I am not sure what you mean by "improvement" on paper, but if it's group size, I don't know the just pointing will do a lot for that, except give the bullet a better b.c. to resist wind drift more.
Robert Whitley

HooverPointingDie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the Whidden system for a while now with my 1200 yard guns.

I seem to be getting better results trimming the meplats first, then pointing (the Whidden system trims the meplat indexing from the base using their own cutter & die on a Wilson case trimmer).

Anyway, it's early days, too early for me to pontificate on results & benefits, though, as a confirmed don't-do-anything-you-don't-have-to, I admit that I am persisting with this numbingly boring process. The again, having to use a K & M dial gauuge primer seater because of arthritis does heaps for my equanimity too.

Technically, "Performance" is all bullets and barrels, assuming nothing else in the system is bad. Aside from "technically," the rest of performance involves head games. If you believe it matters, it does.

If you want technical information, get a ballistics program. Change the drag (B.C.) & see what happens to wind drift. Ah. Less drag means less disaster when you make a mistake. Maybe. Change the values of the BC a bit -- the equivalent of extreme spread as applied to drag instead of velocity. Ah. The more consistent, the less vertical.

Here is the point. If you stop right here, and don't know what affects total drag and what causes variation in drag, it's all a head game. You do a hundred things because one or two of them mater. You don't know which, but that doesn't mater, because you've covered everything. Nothing wrong with that, at some level, it applies to most of us, certainly to me. What is wrong is to say "X matters" or "X+Y+Z" matter but A+B+C don't" when you don't really know. And no, your 1 or 2 or 10 nice targets don't constitute "knowing," even if they satisfy you.

BTW, there is a patent on the pointing system. Last I heard, one manufacturer was violating it. Maybe it's been resolved, maybe not. Does that matter to you?

i have used the hoover die these past two seasons, and i will continue. it's hard to proove anything skeet, 1000 is a ways, all we can do is agg for a season, and see what happens. i would buy it again, to answer your question.
tom

I have a couple real good friends that shoot 600 yards and they do quite well at it. Im going to join them for a couple shoots this late summer and fall. One of the shoots will be the nationals in St Louis. I have a 6mm dasher that is shooting really really good at the moment so i am going to take a brake from the ppc for the next couple months and play with this dasher to get ready for the nationals. I just bought some 105 bergers and because of all this i started wondering about the pointing process. I dont have to buy the die as i could probably use my buddies. I was just curious as to how you folks feel about the process and if it was worth the effort, thats all. I do believe in doing everything you possably can to eliminate doubt if nothing else. I like to talk and read so i though i would ask about this. thanks lee

Skeetlee
Berger makes a 105 VLD hunting bullet a 105 BT Match bullet a 105 VLD Match Target bullet and variations with moly on them.With the 105 vld hunting you will see the least amount of gain.With the 105 vld match target you'll see the most gain.
Waterboy

Hi All, I have completed tests to my satisfaction at 1000yds that prove that 10 bullets that are fully qualified (Juenke/ B to O/ Bearing S / Meplated /etc) compared to the ones pulled from the box are approx 25% less in vertical dispersion ,on average.. I loose about 1/2 to 3/4 moa in elevation after meplating but gain in accuracy.. I did not have a great run with the repointing die i made and have as yet not tried the new commercial units now available .. As Charles said ,if you think it's important ,it is .. pic from last Sundays 1000yd competition..JR..Jeff Rogers

Attachments

• DSC02003.jpg
    DSC02003.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Thanks Rich, If you had seen the flags during the sighter and the record periods ,like me you would not have expected that target back .. We have had horribile 1K benchrest conditions this year ,if we can get a break that 2.7ins of vertical might be converted into something good .. I'm convinced that making sure all the components are exactly the same is worth the time it takes..JR.. Jeff Rogers
Nice target Jeff!
Rich De

Skeetlee
The hunting vld's have a small meplat on them as you buy them so after trimming/pointing you don't notice a big increase in bc on your target.The target vlds have a large meplat and after trimming/ponting you see a bigger improvement with regards to the bc number.My rifles like the hunting vld's so that is what I use.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Back