PMC Brass

S

spfld

I bought some time ago 150 once fired .243 brass by PMC. I like to weigh brass so I can check it's consistancy and was quite surprised that it all weighed out with less than a grain overall spread. In fact it's the most consistant commercial brass I have yet to weigh. Match grade brass would no doubt be better, but for regular off the shelf stuff, I have weighed most commercial makers brass and have found 3 to 4 grain spreads from the same lot, and that's not to say another batch of PMC would show a wide weight spread also. Anyone else have experience/opinions with the PMC brand?

Don, that's entirely possible. I had not thought of that, but I had figured they were bought as loaded ammo for the first firing which may or not be the case.

More PMC

My farther once bought some new PMC brass for his 243 a few years ago. The cases were 15gn heavier than the Federal brass they were replacing but hardly had any varition in their weight. So it might be that the method of production just lends itself to this.
Andy.

About 20 years ago I bought 500 PMC .22/250 Rem cases to test, mainly because they were reputed to be very consistent in weight. I weighed several samples and they were very consistent. Don't remember the exact numbers anymore, but they were much better than Winchester brass of that era. Also, they were much more consistent in neck thickness than Winchester. Much of the Winchester brass I bought in those days varied several thousands of an inch in neck thickness from one side to the other and required neck turning to true up. Powder charges had to be reduced slightly, perhaps because of smaller PMC case capacity. At the range the PMC shot about the same as my RP brass, so I never bothered to buy anymore. Vic

About 5-8 yrs ago a friend bought 10 boxes of PMC 6.5 X 55 Mauser ammo, and it shot MOA at 200 w/the military sights.
I bedded the rifle, floated the barrel, and relieved the handguard under the bands, and had it cryoed, it then had three touching and one bad shot I called, for an inch and an eighth at 200, same sights.

It must be the way they are made , I checked a bout 50 each of 44 mag 45 acp and 9mm and the are all consistent much more so than Remington or Winchester thought if there was slop in production it would be pistol brass nope

Back