Pinnacle Mtn. 10/26 Results

D

Dave Shattuck

Before I get started I want to just thank everybody who has joined us throughout the year. You have all be helpful more than you could ever know, and even though I may not have said anything at the time, I wanted you all to know that I apprciated all your help!

Now, as for Saturday, the only word to describe what we were facing is Brutal. What the weather guru’s had predicted was temps near 50° under sunny skies with breezes starting as Gentle, but by late day turning more toward ±25MPH. So, most of us had dressed accordingly. Big mistake! What we got was: a start of 23° with moderately gentle breezes which before the end of the 4th card had picked up to gusts of 35+MPH.

The first sign that maybe I needed to bring more clothes was: before leaving home I had to scrape the windows of my truck in order to remove the heavy layer of frost from the night before. As for the tonneau cover and hood, they remained totally covered with frost until after driving the 25 miles to the range when the sun finally broke above the tree line to melt away that cover. It was then only 23° by the Club thermometer which would continue to read below freezing until we were well into the match.

By the time 9 A.M. rolled around, even though it was there, the breeze didn’t seem all that bad other than for being extremely twitchy and hard to read, but by the end of our first three targets the winds had climbed into the 8 and 15MPH range with gusts of around 20. It now seemed a whole lot colder than before. And then came the final three targets.

Man, was it getting colder! By the final 3 cards the official Club thermometer had now climbed to above freezing, but the winds kept increasing showing us gusts of close to ±35MPH, and we could only watch as our wind flags and wind-a-cators began to blow over while also watching leaves and sand being picked up off of the berms and being blown at least 20 feet into the air while the larger of the trees were now being effortlessly swayed accompanied by the sound of a freight train coming through the woods. And, for those wind-a-cators that had weathered the wind gusts, their indicators were laid right over at 90°. It was brutal to say the least! During one of the targets in that worst session Todd Banks commented (with a chuckle) on how during one of the "lulls", for one of his 10’s he had held off into the 7-ring of the next target over. And, you talk about feeling a windchill. OMG, it was winter cold! I had 4 layers of clothing on including a thermal sweatshirt! But, you get the point, so enough about that.

As for how we did, I think the scores tell the story:

For the first set of three:
LIGHT VARMENT:
Dan Brown: 247-10x • 238-4x• 246-9x = 731-23x
Roody Joseph: 240-4x • 222-1x • 220-3x = 682-8x

HEAVY VARMENT:
Mark Normandin: 242-5x • 242-8x • 245-6x = 729-19x
Todd Banks: 240-7x • 242-10x • 241-6x = 723-23x
Dave Shattuck: 238-5x • 232-2x • 225-2x = 695-9x
Paul Bendix: 232-4x • 222-2x • 236-6x = 690-12x

And the second set of three - once the wind really started to factor in:

LIGHT VARMENT:
Dan Brown: 237-5x • 243-9x • 238-2x = 718-16x
Todd Banks: 223-2x • 228-1x • 217-3x = 668-6x

HEAVY VARMENT:
Paul Bendix: 226-2x • 222-2x • 233-4x = 681-8x
Dave Shattuck 226-3x • 227-3x • 224-2x = 677-8x
Roody Joseph 219-1x • 227-1x • 221-2x = 667-4x

OPEN CLASS:
Mark Normandin : 228-4x • 243-7x • 241-4x = 711-15x

Did I mention how on Card #6 I had forgotten to shoot my next to the last target due to only wanting to pack everything up and head for home. I think this may have been the first time in over a decade that I have left the bench before checking to make sure all 25 targets had holes in them. Oh well! Guess I was suffering from a brain-freeze as well.

That’s it for another year at Pinnacle. Hope to see everybody at Holbrook for the Indoor match on Saturday. And again, my thanks to everyone.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Dave, that’s one of the best match reports I’ve read. If it had been sunny, 80° and windless I would have missed that, although I'm sure you wouldn't have been too bothered :D

Brian

When you guys shoot in the 600's i take notice, well done to you all, these matches build character and you will all be better for it the next time around when mother nature may be kinder

A little chilly

So I was right, eh Paul? You really WOULD have liked our 43 degree day with little wind showing. Way to come back in the 2nd set. Was that your last outdoor shoot?
Mike

Mike,

At least for now. I'd like to run another round of winter shoots, just don't know if this old body is up to it. Although, there was so much frost on the ground on Saturday morning that you would have though it had snowed and was a winter shoot. Solid white, everywhere.

There's definitely a lot to be said for Indoor shoots, that's for sure.

Dave

Either way

Either way, Dave, good luck. We look at you guys to set the pace in top national scores.
Mike

Some photos from the shoot

CIMG0235.jpg

CIMG0236.jpg

CIMG0239.jpg

CIMG0240.jpg

CIMG0234%7E0.jpg

Before the wind got heavy.
I think the 12fpe barrel #3 is a keeper.
Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the pictures! They're great.

But, what's this about barrel #3 being a keeper? I thought that one was coming to me. Oh well, who knows. Maybe #2 or 4 will be even better.

See you on Saturday,

Dave

Thanks for another fun match at Pinnacle, Dave. Roody and I had great time. I'll remember hitting that 10 (it was darn near an X!) while holding on the next bull to the right forever. I tried it twice, the second time the pellet blew past the 10 ring and just barely scored a 9 on the far side! I've been shooting at Pinnacle for what? 10 yrs now? It's a tough range to shoot on a "good" day. I'm pretty sure that was the worst conditions the mountain has ever thrown at us! Note that there were 9 targets in the 240's in the morning and only 3 in the afternoon. Congrats to Dan and Mark for those!
Todd

#3 is put aside for you Dave;)

Dan,

Thanks for the pictures! They're great.

But, what's this about barrel #3 being a keeper? I thought that one was coming to me. Oh well, who knows. Maybe #2 or 4 will be even better.

See you on Saturday,

Dave

Thanks Dave

Dave,

Thanks again for all your work putting on these matches. Pinnacle Mountain is always interesting to say the least. I think the Indoor Season at Holbrook will raise the bar on scoring with DanB's new HV and LV barrels? Let the fun begin!

MarkN

Back