Pics flash ebert's turbo action

J

jGEE

Flash Ebert's rimfire "Turbo Action" is spoken very highly of in rimfire benchrest circles. The past few months i have searched the net several different times, googleing i never found any pictures of Mr. Ebert's masterpiece. There were pictures of rifles but nothing of just the Turbo Action. I contacted Mr. Dan Killough of Killough Shooting Sports and ordered one. I knew it would be nice but it was nicer than i was expecting!

I'm going to do a Turbo build, i'll have a lot of questions, maybe a few of you BC members would offer up a little guidance as i progress along. I wanted to see some pics so i thought maybe a few more of you would be interested also. I was going to dissemble the bolt but wasn't too sure how so i called Mr. Ebert. I probably didn't need his permission to post the pictures but i just thought it would be polite to ask. Mr. Ebert said it was fine with him and he didn't think any were on Benchrest Central

I'm not one to call and bother people but i gave it a shot. Soon as Mr Flash answered i could tell he is an elderly gentleman. I asked about bolt disassembly and he said he is now making a tool that helps. He is going to send me one with a bill that i will mail back payment, trust has been so abused now days that it's rare when you find it. I'll add some pics later of the bolt dissembled.

Mr. Ebert was real easy to talk with, i mentioned i was 60 and he just kinda chuckled and said he had about 15 years on me! I happen to think the more you know about your rifle the better it will shoot, lol. The bolt is one piece, no welded on handle. He said about 6 months back he changed the material he makes the firing pin out of and now heat treats the pin. Mr. Flash said it didn't need it but he just wanted to do it.

One other thing i happened to ask did he have many employees, nope just him. Mr Flash said he sweeps the floors, cleans the chips off the lathes does everything himself. He will ruff in the pieces on the lathe and then over to the mill. He will make a run of about 50 of each part, then come back and make the next batch until he gets everything to build 50 receivers. I guess when you get a Flash Ebert Turbo Action you get a little piece of his soul with each build! I like that, to me guns should be just a little more than a "thing".... don't know why.

ACTION DIA 1.350 AOL 6.375
BOLT DIA .686 RELAXED AOL 4.604 MAX AOL 4.756
TENON 3/4X16 THREADS 1" AOL

This is what comes "in the box", the action, action screws, trigger guard and even a bore guide.

FLASHTURBO1A.jpg

TURBOACTION1.jpg

TURBOACTION2.jpg

TURBOACTION3.jpg

TURBOACTION4.jpg

TURBOACTION5.jpg

TURBOACTION6.jpg

TURBOACTION7.jpg

TURBOACTION8.jpg

TURBOACTION9.jpg

TURBOACTION10.jpg

Any other pics or measurements you want let me know.
thanks joe:)

Last edited by a moderator:
your action

all i can say is that is amazing work. all that knowledge will be gone forever some day.

good luck with your build and keep us posted.

bob

Thanks for the photos and the commentary about Flash. Good info.

Best,
Michael

Turbo bolt disassembley pics

Mr. Flash Ebert sent his firing pin disassembley tool, $55 was plenty fair for this very nice made and easy to use tool! The Turbo Action firing pin disassembley was "easy trapezy"! joe:)

FPIN1a.jpg

FPIN2a.jpg

FPIN3a.jpg

FPIN4a.jpg

FPIN5a.jpg

FPIN6a.jpg

FPIN7a.jpg

FPIN8a.jpg

FPIN9a.jpg

FPIN10a.jpg

mr. flash

you know it really isnt fair for someone to have all the talent it it??

bob

Turbo question

Great post!
My question is:
What are the specs for a new barrel?
What is the tenon length? thread pitch? threaded tenon diameter?
Any accuracy minded folks please chime in!
Thanks,
Jeff

Great post!
My question is:
What are the specs for a new barrel?
What is the tenon length? thread pitch? threaded tenon diameter?
Any accuracy minded folks please chime in!
Thanks,
Jeff

It is all at the bottom of the front page.

I had an early model Turbo and was having extraction problems. Called Flash and told him the problem, said to send it to him and he would look at it. He sent it back with the modification he did to the newer models along with an invoice. He didn't know me from Adam but gave his trust that I would pay the bill. Says a lot about the character of Mr Ebert.

called flash

regular action weighs about 30. 09 oz the sporter a little less,
he is under the weather a bit with health issues,

so I told him THANKS FROM ALL THE RIMFIRE GUYS WHO ARE FORTUNATE TO HAVE ONE OF HIS ACTIONS, he laughed and said thanks

merry christmas to all
Jeff

regular action weighs about 30. 09 oz the sporter a little less,
he is under the weather a bit with health issues,

so I told him THANKS FROM ALL THE RIMFIRE GUYS WHO ARE FORTUNATE TO HAVE ONE OF HIS ACTIONS, he laughed and said thanks

merry christmas to all
Jeff

Well Flash you take care of yourself and we'll be praying for you to get better.

Merry Xmas to All.

Les

Close copy of Win 52D

With the exception of the Extractors and the trigger placement. Otherwise pretty decent action. Loading port has been opened up over earlier mobels. Still, Lefties have to order a right port model, and families that contain righties and lefties, have a difficult time of sharing at a match.

Turbo Bolt Disassembly Instructions

Joe, I found your turbo bolt disassembly instructions. I know this post is old, but I was wondering if you or anyone on the forum has written instructions on how to use the tool to disassemble the bolt? I am a novice and any help would be appreciated.
Terry

sorry i do not have instructions. If you follow the pics in the dissemble how to you won't have any problems.

What you doing is compressing the firing pin spring to expose a small pin that holds the assembly together.

The piece you insert into the bolt that comes with the tool has a notch on the end that goes into th bolt first. the protruding pin lines up exactly with the notch. That pin is your reference point what plane the notch is. Keep the pin straight up and down as you compress the spring.

When the spring is fully compressed with your reference fin straight up and down your notch will go around the pin you need to punch out.

Give it a try you can't hurt a thing! Have fun

Joe, thanks for the information. A few quick questions. Is the firing pin cocked or uncocked when you put the bolt into the tool? What size punch will I need and do you happen to have a diagram of the bolt? I appreciate your help

Terry

I don't think the firing pin can be cocked and held in the cocked position with the bolt out of the gun. The trigger mechanism holds back the firing pin.

The pin you want to remove is about 1/16" pin, very small. When you expose the pin with the compression it will be every easy for you to determine size.

With that being said, not to be rude or disparaging in any way. Your lack of confidence in firearm maintenance sends the message maybe another hobby would suit you better.

Back