Photos from the 1000yd Australian match in Brisbane

no bolt stop, pulls the bolt and loads in the rear/bolt opening....
take a look at the bbl block on that rifle..its a mile long!
sorta looks like a std 1000yd gun till you see the block...42total lbs!
mike in co

Lynn...just to add a lil' info....it is prolly a Shilen action with floating bbl....the load window looks short....so it may not eject the mag. length ctgs. and he is pulling bolt and all out the back and tossin a fresh round in then following with the bolt...he is very smooth at it...!!!!!!!.....Stu and Annie come to the USA for matches frequently and are world class shooters and people.!!!!...Roger

Miki In CO- there is no barrel block on the gun,looks to me it is what Rodger says just a real long action with a floating barrel,the long action body would give you a lot more surface for bedding and be pretty darn stiff which would help with that 1.450 barrel on it.Its a cool idea,not so sure about removing the bolt and tapping the empty from it for each shot.He sure is smooth at it.
MattD

No. Its a short Rem 700 with a large sleeve. Its shooting a 300 Win mag cartridge (Stuart mentions this in the video). It is a standard Rem bolt, not a shell holder. As noted above, no bolt stop, and the case can only be fed in from the rear as the action port is too small to feed a loaded 300 WM. You can see Stuart dropping a loaded round into the action, and he uses the bench to drop the empty off the boltface. Stuart Can shoot it fairly fast with this set-up. The sleaved action was built back in the mid or even early 1990s, before there were many of the options that are available today.

the case can only be fed in from the rear as the action port is too small to feed a loaded 300 WM.
That's passing odd. Greg McGee, a real early IBS 1,000 yard shooter, used short Remington actions with the .300 Weatherby case. IIRC, he could load, and eject an empty just fine; what he could not do was eject a loaded round.

Charles

I may be wrong as I am going by memory - it is several years since I saw the rifle first hand. It may be possible to feed the round into the port, and I certainly believe extracting a loaded round would be a problem - particularly with a VLD bullet. However Stuart definitely finds loading and extracting from the rear of the action to be the best way to go.

I can feed and extract a 300 Win Mag (w/VLD bullet) loaded or unloaded in my Hart action which has the same port size as the Rem 700 SA (Approximately 2 3/8"), however I can't extract a 300 Wby case or loaded round but can feed it in w/ vlds.

The heavier walled Hart actions were modified by owners and a 1/4" relief was milled in the front of the bridge for a larger port-they then worked for the larger 300 Wby type cartridges. I've never seen a Rem 700 SA or Rem 722 milled in this way (but probably someone did do this).

mikegaiz

Thank you for the supportive and kind remarks.

You are correct that the fundamental reason is that we all have fun, but of similar importance, is the fact that this great sport enables competitors to experience so many other facets involving personal LRBR development and improvement.

The unique concept of mandatory blind shooting has to be experienced, to truly appreciate the inherent difficulties and challenges that it entails.

Inter related with the blind shooting, are the continual improvement of wind/condition interpretation skills, progressive equipment tuning/maintenance, loading and the many other preparation and match related necessities etc.

Initially the basic aim of the postal match concept was to provide interested Australian LRBR competitors with the opportunity to be able to compare their results with their counterparts in the USA.

We believe that any valid or meaningful comparison or correlation of results can only be achieved if approved rules and procedures are implemented and followed, and this has proven to be the case.

As has been mentioned previously on this and other forums, we continue to be appreciative to the IBS and the Virginia 1000yd BR Club and its’ members for their willingness to be involved and support this International 1000yd BR competition.

Since the origin of the first match in May 2009, progress has been made in many areas.

Today in Australia, in addition to the two clubs you mentioned, we have another three clubs Townsville (Nth Queensland), Murray Bridge (South Australia) and Narromine-Dubbo (NSW) whose members have been unbelievably supportive and committed to the principle of the International 1000yd BR Postal Matches.

Additionally, we are very appreciative to our local sponsors ExtraVision and R&J Sportsgoods (HBC projectiles) for their ongoing recognition and support.

ExtraVision, generously provide substantial prizes to the overall yearly 6 match aggregate winners for:-

Heavy Gun Group, Heavy Gun Score, Light Gun Group and Light Gun Score.

As an incentive to recognise, reward and encourage participation in 1000yd BR by those competitors who use either 308 or 223 calibres, we offer an additional category of competition, the BJD trophy, for which the overall yearly Light Gun group aggregate winner will receive 500 HBC projectiles.

I am sure that all experienced LRBR competitors, would readily appreciate the additional difficulties encountered with the use of a 308 or 223 in 1000yd BR competition.

The BJD Trophy has proven to be quite successful in boosting our participation numbers, as it allows and encourages F Class and Target rifle shooters to sample and experience 1000yd BR without the need to build or purchase an additional rifle.

Similar to the IBS ‘screamer’ awards, we have initiated our own version known as the “smiley” (Jeff Green and was extremely helpful with this idea) as a means of recognising and encouraging standards of excellence in Australian 1000yd BR completion.

You have highlighted and made reference to the inclusion and publication of the Postal Match results on the official Virginia 1000yd BR club website. This idea and proposal was initiated by the Virginia club following the commencement of the matches in 2009 and has been and continues to be greatly appreciated by Australian LRBR competitors.

We have an active Postal Match consultative and advisory committee who discuss relevant issues and ideas.

So be assured that there is a significant and increasing number of Australian 1000yd BR devotees who do understand the importance and relevance of the International 1000yd BR Postal Matches and are keen to ensure that they continue and expand in the future.

pm sent.

cheers
dave goodridge

Back