Petrel based versus water based bore cleaning solutions

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
Well what are your thoughts?

I switched from Butch's to Aqua Clean. Was tired of the smell and getting all that bad juju on my skin. I hate wearing gloves as I want to know if it is on my fingers so I do not pass it on to finishes it may harm.

I had concerns whether or not it would be effective. To be safe I decided to use it in tandem with Bore Tech Elimator for the copper. 3 wet with Aqua Clean, brushed with Bore tech, dried, then lightly lubed with Eezox. I did this for years not owning a bore scope knowing if it was working. A quick check with a borescope advised me it was working. I have a small carbon ring in the throat but I am not concerned as I trim my brass every time I reload it. That was 2 years ago.

Today I borrowed a friends scope to look at some new Bartleins. I really like how they look inside. Are these the ones?

Decided to confirm my cleaning again. No copper but a light copper wash about 4" out from the throat. What to use? Flitz paste or Flitz liquid bore cleaner? I decided to short stroke 3 patches with the Flitz liquid bore cleaner, cleaned with 4 wet Aqua clean patches, dried, then scoped again. Copper wash gone.

Needless to say I am happy with my solvent choices.

I also use Canadian made First Choice bore cleaner as cannot seem to get Aqua Clean in Canada anymore. Canadian laws supposedly. It works just as well if not better.

just some info for the water based skeptics. Your body and environment will love you for the switch.

Calvin

Last edited:
Back