Pending IBS HG 600 Record at Oak Ridge

Larry mentioned our famous Oak Ridge wildly variable winds.

But what made this "record" even more impressive was that this mind blowing group was also shot during the only rain shower of the afternoon.

Frank

Greg:

I have never been able to see bullet holes at long range so I had no clue about the target. Shooting a small group is a really neat experience but Sam's super nice aggregate (with both guns) was much more difficult and significant than my one group. My heavy gun is actually the most accurate rifle I have fired to date. In practice and load work it has shot very small groups at 100 yards (I know these don't count but they do build confidence). The smallest was .020 near as I could measure it. The important thing to me is that the gun will shoot small with anything I stuff in it. For what it is worth here are the stats on this rifle: Hart barrel 27" unlimited 14 twist, stock 308 Win with .335 neck, Lapua brass, Lapua 155 Scenar moly coated, Win primer, 45.5 gr Re15 powder

The stock is made from Lowes poplar laminated with standard wood glue. The front half of the rifle is an aluminum "I" beam turned on its side with a lot of machining. The bedding is a 7" glued barrel block. Total cost (ignoring my shop time) was about $60.
The action is a stock Remington 700 with a cleaned up bolt. I had to lengthen the bolt handle to clear the wide stock. The scope is a nightforce (good scope but I still can't see bullet holes - might have something to do with 65 year old eyes).

The down side of the day was that the light gun I just put together stinks - vertical city.

This was a good group but Sam kicked both my butt and everyone elses but all over the parking lot all day long in sporting wind conditions.

John Lewis

John,

Thanks for getting back to me. I can't see bullet holes either (57 here) but I wondered if that dime sized knot showed up for you. I understand your perspective on the significance of aggs and I agree. I understand now that Sam had LG and HG 1.9" aggs for a great new two gun pending record. But a single target group of such amazingly small size captures our imagination in a way that aggs don't seem to share. You and Sam both show great modesty and sportsmanship in accentuating each others performance. This is especially sweet as you built the gun yourself and to your unique vision. Sorry I didn't get to share it with you in the moment. It is a great pleasure even from here.

Salute!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
But what made this "record" even more impressive was that this mind blowing group was also shot during the only rain shower of the afternoon.

Frank

Congratulation Mr. John Lewis

What a name and what a group. It's amazingly impressive what a great dose of luck can do. To shoot mind blowing .386" in the rain is amazingly lucky.

Con

Congrats in the great shooting and the awesome group, that is simply amazing! Dont know how much tighter it can get?

Dennis

Congrats John...

that is a day of shooting that you will never forget.....do you have a pic of "the gun" .....I cant imagine a stock made from 2x4's!!!!! and other scrap materials.....please post a picture.......Roger

Back