Panda vs Teddy

Panda HS= 1.115"
Teddy HS= 1.340"

The tenon on the Teddy is longer of course, but threads and cone angle are the same.

Additional Info on Stolle Actions

What are the differences in the tenons of Teddy and Panda Actions? Thanks, James

James,

When chambering cut tenon 1.0625 in diameter by 1.115" long for the Panda/Short Kodiak or Grizzly, .980 long for a Long Big Bore Panda or a Long Kodiak, or 1.340" for a Teddy or a Polar

Thread tenons 1 1/16th inches in diameter by 18 threads per inch.

The Panda and the Teddy have the same cross section but the Panda is 8.50 long and the Teddy is 11.00" long. The Panda weighs 30.5 oz and the Teddy is 34 oz.

There were approximately 500 Teddys made and approximately 150 are RB/RP.

Source;

Benchrest Archives;

Panda/Teddy Differances

06-01-2003

JeffG

Hope this helps.....

Last edited:
I wonder how many of those 500 Teddy's were LB/RP, also when was the last Teddy produced?.......Ian

Better question yet, why not reintroduce them? There has always been a market for them, and I think that a short run every year could satisfy that demand. Kelbly's have been willing to do just about any modification that you ask for on a Panda or a Grizzly, why not make a run of Teddy's every year?
Paul

As I understand it, the Teddy required manual work that the other actions do not. I think that it was because the face of the action that the barrel shoulder tightens up against, is so deeply recessed (or perhaps it is because of the greater length). I think that this work not only required extra time, but made it more difficult to achieve the uniformity that has become standard in the line because of computer controlled machinery (and skilled operation).

Kelblys has CNC Mazak Quickturn lathes and CNC Mazak VQC/AJV machining centers either capable of finishing that threaded bushing after it is installed.

Jerry,
Was that the equipment that they were using back when the Teddy was discontinued, or have they retooled? In any case, given the many different types of matches that Benchrest actions are used for, many of which have higher weight limits, longer barrels, and in which actions may not be as commonly glued in, the reintroduction of the Teddy might be a popular move.
Boyd

Jerry,
Was that the equipment that they were using back when the Teddy was discontinued, or have they retooled? In any case, given the many different types of matches that Benchrest actions are used for, many of which have higher weight limits, longer barrels, and in which actions may not be as commonly glued in, the reintroduction of the Teddy might be a popular move.
Boyd
Boyd, I don't know when George quit the Teddy. Someone will come in and tell us I hope. As to the Mazak CNC lathes and mills, I bought the first ones for Kodak back in the late '70's.

What they have is the same technology as used today except more on-the-machine program improvements have been made, mainly in the '90's. Mazak brands are known for their extreme accuracy because of excellent quality ball screws and spindle bearing packs. Some of the later Mazak mills had bearing packs that cost about $40,000 to rebuild!!

As an aside I have been in Terry yaMAZAKi's home in Japan!! In his foyer he has a Ming tea pot, about $3,000,000 worth.

Better question yet, why not reintroduce them? There has always been a market for them, and I think that a short run every year could satisfy that demand. Kelbly's have been willing to do just about any modification that you ask for on a Panda or a Grizzly, why not make a run of Teddy's every year?
Paul
I suspect if Kelbly's thought they were actually losing these people as customers they probably would make that run. But since most of the people who say they want a Teddy in the end settle for a Panda and are quite happy it is much simpler and ultimately more cost effective to not make the Teddy. I know Kelbly's went to CNC manufacturing after they discontinued the Teddy. My Teddy was built in 1990 , I have seen some dated 91 I believe they stopped the Teddy in 91 or 92 but I am pretty sure they had definitely quit by 1993.

Dick

Dick mine is still under 150.......so it looks like SET gets it.........unless mine being a LB/RP/LE counts for something :D.....Ian

Back