Our Sport vs Others

has anybody had a class just for semi-auto rifles? there are alot of guys with 10/22's that would take part in a class where they are up against other semi-autos. you could have different levels for that as well. from box stock,mild to plum wild.

then you'd start see guys moving on up to accurate rifles later on.it was my stepping stone to the point i'm at now. just a ideal there to try to help others into the sport.

There needs to be away to be inclusive of as many people as possible. 5 different people own 5 different guns, but one desire to shoot. Find a way to let them, with the rifle they have and want to shoot.

I think that sums it up,I've posted this before but the danger in some shooting sports those who take part group up and frown on newcomers,I've been shooting over 50 years like anything with a trigger so I don't dedicate myself to pistol,rifle,rimfire, I enjoy shooting all including trap,now I'm not saying those of you who do are wrong however just be aware so that you don't turn people off to your segment of the shooting sport.

Locally I find many turned off to rimfire due to current ammo cost and I do not see this improving near future, more people out of work add to that less places to shoot all time it will make it increasingly difficult for any part of the shooting sports so anything we can do to include people is a benefit to all.

I think the FUN FIRE and the rules that "George in Ky" uses at Buckcreek are a great way to attract new shooters.

I also think not having a nearby place to shoot is a far bigger factor in low attendance than the money it costs to shoot. If you compare shooting to most any form of racing, shooting is almost free:) Even though race tracks cost many times more to build and operate, I can think of more than 10 different race tracks in Indiana but only two places (One near Ft Wayne and one in southern Indiana) that have benchrest matches.

Another thing I think would help is to better publicize your matches. There should be an easy to find place on several forums that list upcoming matches.

If we didn't have a special award for Plinker Class, we wouldn't have enough shooters to run a match most of the time.

Plinkers shoot the Unlimited IR 50/50 match at the same time as the Unlimited shooters and qualify for those awards, but shoot non-match rifles ranging from semi-autos to pretty nice bolt rifles. Anyone shooting two scores with that rifle exceeding 240 has to shoot for Unlimited after that.

The Plinker Class is for people new to the game, or for folks who just don't want to compete at the higher level. Scope power is set at the highest common plinker scope power at that match. Most have variable scopes, so it's not a big problem. Rivalries develop and some guys decide to shoot plinker for one target, and still shoot Unlimited for the other two. We don't make any rule about ammo, since the scores limit the class. It's a lot of fun.

Back