Our New Range

Nice looking facility. However, consider putting sound insulation in the front side of the roof, as that is where muzzle blast will reflect from. (As alluded to in a previous post.) Unmatted fiberglass, held in place by wire mesh is a possibility. Other possibilities exist, your local home improvement store has other options. Here is a link to one retailer selling acoustic insulation: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Insulation-Acoustic-Insulation/N-5yc1vZc612

Hope this helps.

Shot under the roof this weekend and there's no need for sound insulation.

But I appreciate the link. I'm going to try my .50 BMG off the bench soon. We'll see what that sounds like.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

PS - hope to get the gables covered and the loading bench in next weekend.

There is only one thing wrong....you need another bench for your shooting buddies. If I lived closer I'd come over and help you get started, LOL.

Really nice set up and your hard work looks GREAT

It's always easier to comment than do such a fine job as you have done, BUT... Being in Virginia have you thought about enclosing the area and putting a window in to shoot through. Would seem that it would be very nice to shoot in the warm during the winter and cool during the summer.

Just saying.....................

It's always easier to comment than do such a fine job as you have done, BUT... Being in Virginia have you thought about enclosing the area and putting a window in to shoot through. Would seem that it would be very nice to shoot in the warm during the winter and cool during the summer.

Shooting from a heated room.makes for some interesting mirage effects

i have an indoor bench as well as two outside benches. the inside bench is almost a waste of time in the winter. As al said. You cant see squat!!! Blowing out brass or some informal steel plate shooting is ok but real accuracy work i use the outside bench no matter the outside temp Lee

i have an indoor bench as well as two outside benches. the inside bench is almost a waste of time in the winter. As al said. You cant see squat!!! Blowing out brass or some informal steel plate shooting is ok but real accuracy work i use the outside bench no matter the outside temp Lee

LOL!

Yup. you've BTDT eh.....

Two things I've found that completely eliminate a rifle's ability to put two in the same hole, #1 shooting out the winder unless you put a fan blowing OUT THE DOOR sucking cold air into your face and #2 shooting over sunny snow on a beautiful Robin's Egg Clear Blue day...the mirage over snow can be measured in inches. Sometimes the dot wanders off the target paper :)

Now shooting IN THE SNOW, when them big fat flakes are falling making a wind flag is like magic. Watch for vortices....The only time I can shoot consistently in the dark is when it's snowing.

We thought about enclosing it but will leave it open. Any match I shoot in the winter will be exposed, so I want to practice in similar conditions.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I like the fact that who ever built the bench knew enough to stagger the nails in the 4x4 legs, the builder is a good carpenter! Over 40 years at it I can tell.

Back