Other uses for Danzac?

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
After reading the thread on Danzac I decided to order some from Lower Friction. I perused the data sheets and noticed that danzac can be "buffed" on to metal. That got me wondering if there would be an advantage to coat the inside of cast bullet molds to ease bullet release. The melting point of lead is about 621 degrees F and the melting point of Danzac is 1250 degrees C. Any thoughts?

Why do you refer to Danzac?
Surely you realize that it does not exist.

If you're talking about WS2, then why not refer to it as WS2, or Tungsten Disulfide, so that anyone could follow your post?
Just sayin..

Last edited:

If you're talking about WS2, then why not refer to it as WS2, or Tungsten Disulfide, so that anyone could follow your post?
Just sayin..

Well everybody I know says "do you Danzac your bullets" never heard a single guy say "do you Tungsten Disufide your bullets" and I know a lotta guys who use Danzac .

I know you are technically correct as to what it is but you are way off if you think people will not know what the original poster was referring to.

Dick

Just sayin..

I used the name "Danzac" because I was referencing a thread in the Centerfire Benchrest forum that had "Danzac" in the thread title. I didn't want to hijack that thread with my question so I started this one with a reference to the other one that used the term Danzac. Yes I know that Danzac is really WS2 or Tungsten Disulfide.

Tell you what Mike, why don't you just put me on your ignore list and then you won't be bothered by my incoherent ramblings.

I've used t-d as a lubricant in some metal-to-metal applications and it worked fine but didn't last very long. I bought a 38-55 a while back to try some cast-bullet shooting and was planning to try some t-d on cast bullets. Lost my interest in cast bullets before the test happened, though.

I have buffed it into the body casting and drum of a cast iron,and steel powder measure that had been thoroughly cleaned and dried. It was like it had ball bearings. Not permanent but easy to do every so often.

Last edited:
Do you have a mould you no longer use to try it on? I tried mold release one one of mine once. What a mess that was to try to remove. I now just soot the mould with a wooden match, and for me, that works very well.

adamsgt, I'm sure my reply seems smartass. But just how would this cycle stop if not for someone pointing it out?
You picked it up from another thread, and another might pick it up from yours. It's perpetuating ignorance.

And Dick, your friends should ask about 'tungsten coating bullets' as they would about moly coating, or graphite, or boron coating.
Do you Danzac your bullets,, REALLY?
They're using a misnomer as a verb?
When a friend says this, stop them. Make sure they're talking about tungsten(or that they know what they're talking about), and bring the discussion to tungsten coating. Tell them when they've got a buger hangin.
And that they might think you're a dick, well, you are.

Years ago, there was a fellow (I forget his name.) who marketed tungsten disulfide as a bullet coating, that was done, as with moly, by impact plating. After some issues came up with pressure on the first shot after cleaning he also began marketing a barrel treatment that was the same material (possibly finer particle size.) suspended in alcohol, to be used to treat the barrel after cleaning. In any case, not wanting to have folks go around him he picked a name for the material that he was selling that obscured what it actually was. The name he chose was a combination of the first names of his sons, hence Danzak. So, as with the use of Crecent wrench as an interchangeable term for adjustable open end wrench, Danzak has come into common use when referring to the use of tungsten disulfide for bullet coating by impact plating. In my opinion using Danzak is no more of an issue than Crecent wrench, with the possible exception that since the material may no longer be available form that source, shooters may need to be clued in as to what to look for if they want to purchase some. Evidently cabin fever is upon us.

Just a few figures for what its worth since I dont have a dog in this hunt.
On BRC alone there are 73 threads with 196 different posts that use the word Danzac.
There are hundreds alone on google, the majority of which seem to be shooting related.
It could be said that in the shooting community that Danzac is the "nick name" for WS2 or Tungsten Disulfide.
Much the same way we use many other nicknames or letters only for every day items in the english language.
And before mike in co or mikecr posts another arrogant flaming message he can just put me on ignore.

Back