OT! Football, some have asked

Butch Lambert

Several of you have shot with my Grandson Josh. He had a decent year kicking for West Virginia his freshman year. He set a WVU freshman scoring record. I sure miss my hunting fishing, and BR shooting Buddy.
I think a lot of what his position coach says as he has probably coached more Ray Guy and Lou Groza kicking and punting winners than any other coach. Below are his quotes from both TV and the West Virginia newspaper.

DeForest believes that they could be one of the "best groups he's ever had." And all three (Nick O'Toole, Josh Lambert and John DePalma) have continued to make major strides.

On the leg strength of kicker Josh Lambert

He was hurt last year. He had a groin and another muscle that was bothering him. He kicked about 75 percent. What I've tried to do this camp and throughout the fall ? we're going to pair down his reps. He loves to kick. He loves to warmup. Well, that tears his body down. The first two days of practice here have been great. I think he hit a 60-yarder yesterday. His leg strength is the best it's ever been. I think that comes with strength and conditioning and it comes with not kicking as much.

2m6lnkp.jpg

2mxlljt.jpg

Their first game is against Alabama the last of this month. A real tough way to start the season.

Butch,

I,m kinda a Neer fan and you never know what the outcome will be. I suppose Saban wants to come back to W.VA. as that is were he,s from. You never know Josh my get the chance to kick the winning field goal.

GO MOUNTAINEERS.

Josh loves West Virginia. Said it is beautiful! He likes the state, city, school, and football. He does not care for the winter weather.

Since I grew up there I have to agree. But I believe the weather is worse in the Northern part were he is going to school. Well at least he can say that WVU has won NCAA rifle championships than any other school. They always have a heck of a shooting team there.

John

If you have an opportunity to meet Jon Hammond, the rifle coach, you need to. He is a very fine young man and is a World Class Shooter in his own right. He is from Scotland and and part of the UK team.

Wow!

Pretty cool.

"The Toe," Lou Groza... He was a patron of a Lincoln Mercury dealership in Middleburg Heights, Ohio where I worked. Often times I would pick him up or drive him home when his car was being serviced. A very nice, quiet and large gentleman. I am six foot and I still had to look up at Mr. Groza. Now he had long retired by this time, and getting on in his days, but he looked as if he could have played middle linebacker or defensive end by his size. I remember thinking that he must have literally kicked the laces off a football in his day.

Bitter cold and swirling wind!

I was told that he could kick the ball through the endzone. Which is recorded as a 70 yard kick, but it takes at least 11 more yards to get it through the end zone and off the playing field. Might not seem like such a feet today, but that old stadium sat on the edge of lake Erie. When the bay froze over in the winter time, there was nothing in between the elements and that gridiron; and for the opposing team there was the "dog pound." Late in a season that old stadium could really show her teeth; and by no stretch of the imagination was going into Cleveland ever considered a kicker's paradise. To have accomplished what Lou Groza accomplished in his career, and at a place like Cleveland, is a statement to all who have played the game. Lou Groza wasn't just good, he was truly one of the greatest who has ever played the game.

I lived in the area for three years, and would like to take a minute to tell all a little about that old stadium. The Indians and Browns shared it. They had a unique brown mustard called stadium mustard; the best I think I have ever had. The pillars that hold up the upper deck could be in the way if you sat behind them in the lower section. Tickets for a Browns game were hard to get. Tickets for an Indians game were normally easy, unless the Yankees came to town. We would up and decide to go watch an Indians game in the afternoon, and scalp tickets behind one of the bags for $6.50 from the same Cat standing under the same tunnel going into the stadium. Much like Chicago, the wind comes off lake Erie; Cleveland is a windy city too. I was down at the stadium late one night and saw a river of seagulls being blow by. They were trying to land in the bay to get out of the wind, but the wind would suck them off the water and they were then back in that river trying to get down. Tens of thousands of seagulls were wind driven in a large circle flying around the bay trying to get out of the wind to safety. Just one of those things in nature a man comes across once in a lifetime; one of the strangest things in nature I have ever seen. It was a great old stadium; and the dog pound was a freak show. I sat in it one time just because I had too, so I could say I have. Fans in Cleveland are true fanatics about their sports teams, and that old stadium was truly a 12th player on the field. She had both teeth and character, and you never knew for sure which one was going to show up that day. I know she is surely remembered fondly by all who have ever been to watch a game there. I have often wondered what the fans in Cleveland think about their new stadium. Anything put there afterwards would of had a very hard act to follow.

Lou Groza is, to the best of my knowledge, still the leading scorer of any Cleveland Brown player in franchise history.

To have your son mentioned in that company must make a father pretty proud; for that is lofty company, indeed.

My best to you,
CarolinaChuck

Last edited:
I bet he Kicks a few for GrandPa!

I will to track the team this year, College ball is more entertaining than the NFL.

JLouis

Thanks guys! Josh made 3 out of 4 today in padded practice with a rush. His miss was a 57yd one that he pushed to the right. Plenty strong, but to the right.

Wow!

Pretty cool.

"The Toe," Lou Groza... He was a patron of a Lincoln Mercury dealership in Middleburg Heights, Ohio where I worked. Often times I would pick him up or drive him home when his car was being serviced. A very nice, quiet and large gentleman. I am six foot and I still had to look up at Mr. Groza. Now he had long retired by this time, and getting on in his days, but he looked as if he could have played middle linebacker or defensive end by his size. I remember thinking that he must have literally kicked the laces off a football in his day.

Bitter cold and swirling wind!

I was told that he could kick the ball through the endzone. Which is recorded as a 70 yard kick, but it takes at least 11 more yards to get it through the end zone and off the playing field. Might not seem like such a feet today, but that old stadium sat on the edge of lake Erie. When the bay froze over in the winter time, there was nothing in between the elements and that gridiron; and for the opposing team there was the "dog pound." Late in a season that old stadium could really show her teeth; and by no stretch of the imagination was going into Cleveland ever considered a kicker's paradise. To have accomplished what Lou Groza accomplished in his career, and at a place like Cleveland, is a statement to all who have played the game. Lou Groza wasn't just good, he was truly one of the greatest who has ever played the game.

I lived in the area for three years, and would like to take a minute to tell all a little about that old stadium. The Indians and Browns shared it. They had a unique brown mustard called stadium mustard; the best I think I have ever had. The pillars that hold up the upper deck could be in the way if you sat behind them in the lower section. Tickets for a Browns game were hard to get. Tickets for an Indians game were normally easy, unless the Yankees came to town. We would up and decide to go watch an Indians game in the afternoon, and scalp tickets behind one of the bags for $6.50 from the same Cat standing under the same tunnel going into the stadium. Much like Chicago, the wind comes off lake Erie; Cleveland is a windy city too. I was down at the stadium late one night and saw a river of seagulls being blow by. They were trying to land in the bay to get out of the wind, but the wind would suck them off the water and they were then back in that river trying to get down. Tens of thousands of seagulls were wind driven in a large circle flying around the bay trying to get out of the wind to safety. Just one of those things in nature a man comes across once in a lifetime; one of the strangest things in nature I have ever seen. It was a great old stadium; and the dog pound was a freak show. I sat in it one time just because I had too, so I could say I have. Fans in Cleveland are true fanatics about their sports teams, and that old stadium was truly a 12th player on the field. She had both teeth and character, and you never knew for sure which one was going to show up that day. I know she is surely remembered fondly by all who have ever been to watch a game there. I have often wondered what the fans in Cleveland think about their new stadium. Anything put there afterwards would of had a very hard act to follow.

Lou Groza is, to the best of my knowledge, still the leading scorer of any Cleveland Brown player in franchise history.

To have your son mentioned in that company must make a father pretty proud; for that is lofty company, indeed.

My best to you,
CarolinaChuck
If I remember correctly Lou Groza played Guard on Offence between kicks. Those guys were tough. George Blanda played quarterback when he wasn't kicking.

If I'm a football fan, as defined these days, I'd call myself an Alabama fan. However, in this case I wouldn't mind much if they got beat by a field goal kicked by Josh - or ten field goals.

If I'm a football fan, as defined these days, I'd call myself an Alabama fan. However, in this case I wouldn't mind much if they got beat by a field goal kicked by Josh - or ten field goals.

Cook and Bottle Washer -- I've never heard of a bammer not minding if bammer got beat; you sure you aren't a barn fan in disguise :)

Wilbur,
Josh said he would love to be in a position to make the winning kick. I would hope they are in a position to do this. We are 27 point underdog.

Cook and Bottle Washer -- I've never heard of a bammer not minding if bammer got beat; you sure you aren't a barn fan in disguise :)

If Bama gets beat...I don't like it! There are circumstances where I could marginally approve. This is one of those...can't imagine anything else but there's surely some more...surely there is.....

Back