Opinion - Re-Sizing 22LR

C

CajunRebel

Can anyone attest to the benefit of using a tool to re-size/re-shape mid-/high- grade 22LR ammo to a uniform size, say .221, .222, .223, e.g., Paco Kelly ACU'RZR http://www.gunblast.com/Paco.htm? There a vendor who makes similar one but I coudnlt find it. I'm not talking about improving on cheap, bulk ammo but on the stuff used to compete. And I don't like the idea of beating live ammo with a mallet. I was thinking of making a shellholder and resize/seating die for 22LR. Are is this just hype and trying to put a ballet skirt on a pig?

To me you will ruin the stability of the bullet trying to seat it down further or whatever, also, I am pretty sure that would be illegal in all organized benchrest competitions as that is considered altering factory ammo.
Bill

There's a guy mentioned on RFC that makes a die that works with a reloading press that does this. No idea about its results. And, yeah, it would obviously be considered altering ammunition, and be against the rules. I think the guy's name is Neil Waltz, but I could be wrong there. I imagine a search over there for 'resizing die' or something similar would bring up the threads.

Whatever else you believe you're going to accomplish, you're going to remove that nice expensive lube that's there for a reason. If you shoot ELEY you're also going to change that drive band, also there for a reason.

I'm not sure how squeezing a bullet in a die is going to remove anything. IIRC, his die actually makes bullets slightly larger in diameter, btw.

I'm not sure how squeezing a bullet in a die is going to remove anything. IIRC, his die actually makes bullets slightly larger in diameter, btw.

The Paco tool DOES remove much of the lube on the driving band

So if I have this right 2 posts back you had no idea exactly what it was or if it worked but I'm probably wrong? OK I think I have it.

The Paco tool differs a bit from the reloading die type in operation. I don't recall anyone using the die complaining about missing lube. But for that matter, I don't recall anyone using the Paco tool complaining about missing lube either. At least with the reloading die it would do the same thing every time. The Paco tool will differ with every strike, since every strike will be different. I don't know if either's worth any money. All I know is what I've read over on RFC. Some of those people are delighted with theirs.
The Paco tool DOES remove much of the lube on the driving band

I have both the Paco dies and the Neil Waltz die. Got them out of interest to see if uniforming the bullet diameters would help accuracy. They have not for me.

The Paco tool needs a hammer to tap the nose punch and two different diameters available - ..223" and .224". Due to differing amounts of "tap" the results vary and I have found this system to not work for me.

The Neil Waltz tool used a reloading press and as such is very repeatable as to nose punch movement and pressure. This is a tool steel die and punch and a darn good machinist job in its construction and well thought out in its ability to be repeatable. Over on Rimfire Central, the shooters have reported good results. So far I have found no benefit from the tool.

Neither tool seemed to remove much lube from the bullets.

Just my assessment,
George

While this has been interesting, I believe the 1st post related to high grade ammo improvement. I you look at the site referenced they're only playing with the cheap bulk stuff.

Guys are seeing some improvements

Please follow this link.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212694&highlight=waltz

Interesting?

2549186287_65593a68e3_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The group was shot at 20 yards, what's he gonna do next tape the target to the end of the barrel? Wonder how long it's gonna take for one to go bang?

Last edited:
The photo was to show the die

Not his poop hot shooting ability! Might help some of the Winchester 52's that are slightly overbore. Some Anschutz rifles like Lapua L, thought this was a more consistent solution than the Paco setup.

my rifle can group midrange priced ammo at 20 meters out of the box. but hey, nicely formed hollow point. Any good as a hunting round?.....My idea is to form match grade solidpoints into accurate hunting rounds.

Back