Opinion of the Mossberg MVP Varmint

nhkuehl

It took awhile to find a Mossberg MVP Varmint (.223) and it shoots 60 gr Sierra HP flat base varmint bullets really well in the 1:9 twist barrel. The magazine well is rather loose and magazines don't feed reliably, I think it could benefit from bottom metal to hold the magazines more securely. Magpul magazines won't lock in because they are thicker at the top. I machined the follower in a magazine like a bench rest follower and shoot the rifle as a single shot. I wouldn't mind seeing the rifle in a single shot model. The bottom of the stock from the grip to the toe is too flat to allow much elevation change on a rear bag (I use a notched-leg bipod) and I think the stock would work better if the bottom was straight from the grip to the toe instead of an obtuse angle. The stock is comfortable to hold, but the length of pull is only 13", which is short for me. The bolt diameter is smaller than available bore guides and Possum Hollow made one for me. - nhk

I looked at the MVP I really liked the mag feed option and the more bench rest style stock. The only draw back I heard about was the trigger. I shoot in a short range benchrest comp. and we can only tune the trigger. How do you like the trigger on yours?

Mossberg MVP trigger

I looked at the MVP I really liked the mag feed option and the more bench rest style stock. The only draw back I heard about was the trigger. I shoot in a short range benchrest comp. and we can only tune the trigger. How do you like the trigger on yours?

The trigger is adjustable from 2-7#'s and I have mine set at 2-3/4# (for prairie dogs) and it is crisp. I like the accu-type triggers (Savage, Marlin and Mossberg). My triggers run from 6 oz. to 3-1/2#'s and I'm most comfortable with the 1-3/4 to 2-1/2# settings. You may have to tweak a magazine by bending or filing to get reliable feeding. Some bullets don't engage the feed ramp at the right angle and bind. The 60 gr Sierra HP bullets I shoot are loaded single shot because they are seated longer than magazine length due to the long throat. I have a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9X40 scope mounted on the rifle. (My favorite rifle is the Savage 12 BVSS .223 Rem.) - nhk

Included 5-shot 100 yard group with Sierra 60 gr HP Varminters, 25.0 grs Varget, Fed GM205M primers, 2.294" OAL (0.015" jump) shot off the bench with a bipod. - nhk

Attachments

• scan0001.gif
    scan0001.gif
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,007
Last edited:
Back