Online 100 yard group benchrest competition, target upload until 3/31/17

josh82

Hi all, as I live in Switzerland, and we dont have Benchrest competitons here, I want to learn what accuracy is achievable: I will introduce my rifle in a later post.

RIFLE RULES: all rifles permited no rules for rest or settup rifle weight.

SHOOTING RULES: You may take as much time as you want, you can upload multiple targets, off multiple guns.

POST: conditions, which the groups where shot, rifle, CALIBER is a must for scoring.

TARGETS: http://accurateshooter.net/targets/TargetC.pdf

6 targets, uper left target is for sighters, on the other 5 targets should be 5 shots on each. 25 Shots total.

SCORING: the groups will only be scored for group. Smalest agg's win;-) If you want to measure your group sizes yourself feel free to do that and wright it on to the target, or like I did in the post underneath. Targets with less then 25 shots on the 5 record targets will not be scored. As we want to see a 25 shot agretate on one paper.

The Pictrue must have a ruler in it for accurate measurments off the groups, due to scaling errors in scanners and cameras, the ruler must be in a place on the target where it is visible, and not covered by lines. A black background paper should be placed behind the paper, to make the holes better visible to the scanner.

brexaple.jpg

Gun Ruger American
Lothar Walther hand laped barrel
223 Rem tight neck .251
22"
Sighter group: .466
Group 1: .212
Group 2: .309
Group 3: .287
Group 4: is missing
Group 5: is missing

not windy, at 100 Meters fired in still conditions no wind.

I will upload my record target later, as I only have this.

So now the race is on, may the best win.

Josh

Last edited:
basically your target is upside down.
the box goes on the top.

if this is an international postal/internet match
you should say so.
copying targets will change the size of the group,
cause copiers are not perfect.

basically your target is upside down.
the box goes on the top.

if this is an international postal/internet match
you should say so.
copying targets will change the size of the group,
cause copiers are not perfect.

You are right, I am not so good with this computer stuff, I will add a method to make the scoring. As you have an idea how to do such things, do you think adding a pdf would solve the problem?

it is tuff to be accurate with copies.
have them mailed to you is the way to do it.
you need to buy the proper tool and use it for
consistent numbers.
we use to do a year long postal match here, and even had teams !

it is tuff to be accurate with copies.
have them mailed to you is the way to do it.
you need to buy the proper tool and use it for
consistent numbers.
we use to do a year long postal match here, and even had teams !

Ok I found the solution, I will score with on target and when you put a ruler in there I can take that as a fixed measurement.

That is a pretty good agg. for a Ruger! Measuring groups in a postal match is one of the difficulties. Another will be verifying the number of shots fired. Would rail guns be allowed?
John

Railguns allowed

That is a pretty good agg. for a Ruger! Measuring groups in a postal match is one of the difficulties. Another will be verifying the number of shots fired. Would rail guns be allowed?
John

Thank you, John, I feel the gun could do better, but I shot this groups from a bipod an I feel my setup is not stable enough to shrink the groups more, and the trigger is still 1 lbs, but I changed that now,.

Bring whatever gun you are comfortable with, and which calls your gun save home:) let's make it happen:)

As for counting shots, this is a gentlemens match, every shooter is responsible to make sure his shots are 5x5shots. In my case its easy to count the number off shots on target. But as the groups shrink into the low .2's it gets harder you are right.

Well just the receyver and the bolt are Ruger anymore, and they are also modified. The cocking cam is modified, firing pin. But the most amazing thing is the action came true from the factory, so no blueprinting was necessary. I will introduce my gun when I post my record target.

As for scoring, my targetanalysing software is able to take a measurment off of the ruler inside the picture, and so I can calibrate it to the picture, to compensate for scaling errors.

I will make sepperate rankings when a lot off railgunners submit their targets. Otherwise I will just mention behind the result, that it had been shot with a railgun.

Shoot tiny holes;-)
Josh

Last edited:
Josh you are definitely new to benchrest and welcome to the game! I applaud you in this endeavor to get more people involved in the game of benchrest as the game is all about personal improvement for most shooters. It is definitely more fun when you can compete against others and move up through the ranks as you improve.
To be upfront and honest I do not have a railgun, just wish I could afford one! But what I was getting at is that the level of accuracy in todays bench gun world is that they are winning big competitions with low teen aggs. This means 5x 5 shot groups around .130" average unless the wind is particularly extreme and switchy. This is done through out the day in all conditions! Rare is a calm on match day and if there is, the mirage boils and that is a demon of its own. Railguns can do this with 10 shots groups! I am not implying everyone is at this level on a given day, but there are many who are capable.
My suggestion would be to do a score shoot instead as this is a little easier to do as a postal or online match that you are talking about. With score shooting you would fire one shoot at each target for score and the sixth target would be your sighter which you could use to check the changing point of impact as the wind progresses in different patterns. Score shooting is not easier to win but it is easier to verify the number of rounds fired.
I wish you well and hope you can get things going in Switzerland to the point they can send a team to a World shoot some year in the near future. You are definitely progressing well.
John VM

Josh you are definitely new to benchrest and welcome to the game! I applaud you in this endeavor to get more people involved in the game of benchrest as the game is all about personal improvement for most shooters. It is definitely more fun when you can compete against others and move up through the ranks as you improve.
To be upfront and honest I do not have a railgun, just wish I could afford one! But what I was getting at is that the level of accuracy in todays bench gun world is that they are winning big competitions with low teen aggs. This means 5x 5 shot groups around .130" average unless the wind is particularly extreme and switchy. This is done through out the day in all conditions! Rare is a calm on match day and if there is, the mirage boils and that is a demon of its own. Railguns can do this with 10 shots groups! I am not implying everyone is at this level on a given day, but there are many who are capable.
My suggestion would be to do a score shoot instead as this is a little easier to do as a postal or online match that you are talking about. With score shooting you would fire one shoot at each target for score and the sixth target would be your sighter which you could use to check the changing point of impact as the wind progresses in different patterns. Score shooting is not easier to win but it is easier to verify the number of rounds fired.
I wish you well and hope you can get things going in Switzerland to the point they can send a team to a World shoot some year in the near future. You are definitely progressing well.
John VM

John nice hearing from you! I am quite surprised whats possible with BR guns. I studied the agg results on IBS and they seem all to agg in .2 am verry rarely in the high .1's. As I understand in the IBS matches are the top shooters.

I managed to agg for 25 shots in the mid .2's and I think thats not to bad. But in no way I am on a competitive level. I feel the barrel I made is capable off better accuracy, but I have a problem with my settup as I shoot from an F class bipod. I will introduce my gun in this thread later when I've managed to shoot a target which is at least a bit a challenge to top by a good shooter.

About the online BR match you are right. I will wait now untill this 30 days are over and see what targets are posted here, if the interest is low I thought off taking a BR50 rimfire target, and shoot 25 shots there and score it the same as a BR50 match. Or do you have a better idea? Regarding targets? I want to have all shoots on 1 piece off paper, as I dont want to let people combine their best 5 papers they could shoot in 30 days.
DBRV-Benchrest-50-Meter-Target_rs.jpg

Ok I found the solution, I will score with on target and when you put a ruler in there I can take that as a fixed measurement.

Hi Josh,

If you're using the OnTarget software, find a target that everyone is happy with and then have everyone print it on standard sized paper.

Almost everyone has a home office printer/scanner combination that will scan letter sized documents and then the target can be sent by email to whoever scores the target.
The embedded information in a scan will allow for the target to be scaled perfectly +/- 0.001" and there won't be a need for calibration through the use of a ruler in an image.

Landy

Hi Josh,

If you're using the OnTarget software, find a target that everyone is happy with and then have everyone print it on standard sized paper.

Almost everyone has a home office printer/scanner combination that will scan letter sized documents and then the target can be sent by email to whoever scores the target.
The embedded information in a scan will allow for the target to be scaled perfectly +/- 0.001" and there won't be a need for calibration through the use of a ruler in an image.

Landy

Landy, thanks for the input, the Target I put on is on standart US letter paper, and when it is so accurate as you say, evreryone who takes part can mail their scanned pdf to me and I can score it accuratly in on target. And when it is within +-.001 i guess thats accurate enough for a fun contest. I will add that to my discription.

Thanks a lot.
Josh

wind was haulin at the range.

Hi guys, I was at the range last saturday, and the wind was crazy, gusts up to 30mph and switchy, but for sake of learning new things I accepted the challange, and went anyway shooting.

as the range is between 2 berms, the wind was like in a tumbler.... sometimes left to right and sometimes up and down:)

smk53rs40-1.65-wind1.png

smk53rs40-1.65-wind2.png

Last edited:
Back