One smooth hole.

That day it was a Premier Heritage 3-15x50. Usually its a Leupold fixed 10 power on the zfk55.
The rifle was manufactured with a fixed 4 power Kern scope with an integral reciever mount. My Dad developed a new mount that allows the shooter to mount any scope in the world on it.

55mount1.jpg

315502.jpg

I really love the Premier but its now permanently on the Wilson AR10

Latigo

Last edited by a moderator:
My sincere apologies for the totally OT post, but...

The rifle was manufactured with a fixed 4 power Kern scope with an integral reciever mount.

Reminds me - If anybody out there is a Kern collector, please PM me. I'm looking for a Kern optical finder (similar to the Voigtlander Kontur) with the parallax adjustable base.

Thanks, JJIA. It won't be used for the kind of shooting I want to learn about here. I've been doing a lot of reading here for the past week and I'm really anxious to get started.
I ordered a Wilson meplat trimmer and pointer on friday. I ordered that one because it indexes on the ogive and not the base. I've been doing the ame sort of thing with my .308.
I'm using the Wilson case trimmer now, weighing cases and projectiles getting ready. :D

Latigo

Your welcome Latigo.
Keep reading, posting, and leaning because at least for me the journey and what I learn along the way is more than half the fun!
The secret to enjoying anything less than a full-blown BR rifle is knowing when your doing very good for the gun type your working with, I think your doing very good indeed.

You guys that are PooPooing Latigo and his dad are just showing your ignorance. These guys are the guru's of swiss rifles of all types. They have a fine line of products and a website. Some of you keyboard shooters just might learn something here, that is if you can keep you mouth shut. )chill(;)
Here, try this... http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/directory

The main reason the Swiss rifles are so great is that they never were used in war time conditions. They know how to take care of them and they never shot mercuric primers. Berdan primed cases but not corrosive. Of the K31's, there were only a bit over 500,000 made over a time period from 1933 to 1958. Generally the early ones before about 1947 had walnut stocks and after that beech stocks. but there are mixes because of arsenal refurbs, etc. Mine has a beech stock, made in 1953 and has beautiful metal work. I have heard that to duplicate the K31 action today would cost in excess of $2,000. If you have any desire for a military rifle, now is the time to get a K31 as they are going up every year. The 7.5x55 Swiss case is about 1/2 inch in diameter and has almost the same capacity as a 30-06 but is loaded at lower pressures. It is very close to a 308 in performance. Although the bore technically is .307 it shoots .308 30 cal bullets just fine. OK, now you can start shooting................:D

Donald

Thanks for this fascinating posting, and I congratulate you! This group was the "perfect storm." Everything just went ideal. Bravo!

Frankly, I believe it was done, and I believe it is on the level. But we can all see now why the benchrest matches require those little turning wheels of paper behind the target.

This should not be interpreted as a "knock." It is just that this sort of target could draw heated argument if it was contending for the major trophy at a shoot. There's obviously no way to count the holes.

I never heard of those rifles you describe, but they seem amazing!

Thanks for posting--

Hey Pete. That was the reason for my Dad's story at the top. He wrote it, not me. Sorta like a turning wheel thing? :D

Donald, I guess you found me out. :D I'm too young to be a guru and that would be presumptious anyway, but you're right about my Father. He's retired from the SRDC and the net now but he's the one who got a lot of all the Swiss stuff started about 14 years ago with rifles, brass, stocks and parts brought into the US. His information on all things 7.5x55 Swiss shooting related is archived on the SRDC. He spent a lot of years developing load data, accurizing Swiss rifles, debunking rifle and cartridge myths and was the one who got Graf's into the ammuniton, brass and parts business. His accessories are used all over the world and his Diopters are used in sanctioned Swiss shoots here and out of country. Right now the Swiss military board is reviewing his new 1,000 yard Type P/S Diopter for sanctioned shoots there.

TypePS-1.jpg

I'm in training and have been for quite a while and will be for some time to come. I do manage Swiss Products but I spend a lot of time in the armory working on precison loads for Swiss rifles. That and hardcasting 175gr bullets.
The precision part is what brought me here to learn. Dad told me that if I wanted to master what I haven't yet done to go where the guys who are masters can teach me. He sent me here.

I'm still doing a lot of reading here and not yet ready to ask the right questions. I'm trying to absorb as much as I can so I don't ask the obvious and waste your time.

This is where I hang out and where I'll put into action all that I learn here.

weaponsroom008.jpg

weaponsrooma.jpg

I plan on doing a phtographic record of everything I learn and do here. I guess I'll have to get one of those geared paper target backer things or find enough cooperative coyotes, eh?:D

Latigo

Latigo,
Posting in the General Forum is OK but you might find more reception in the factory/hybrid forum. As far as I know there is not a military rifle forum on this site. Too bad.....as the Swiss rifles and the Swedish 96 are the top of the line in the accuracy department in the military rifle department. On this forum, the Benchrest Competition Only and Benchrest Competition threads are for the most part for the hard core BR shooter. These are the guys, me included, that are only interested in the ultimate in accuracy. We try for sub 1/4 minute of angle accuracy at all times. It is the ultimate in rifle accuracy. It is truly unblievable what kind of groups some of these guys can shoot. Unfortunately I am not in that group yet....maybe never. But keep posting because some of these people need to know about the excellent rifles the Swiss built.

Donald

Thanks for the direction, Donald. I probably won't post in either until I learn enough about what to ask without embarrassing myself. I get questions in my own forum and I always answer but I also wonder why didn't the poster just read thearchives or do a search on the board before asking something that was already answered 50,000 times. I don't want to be one of those.

I do love the Swiss rifles. They're the most inherently accurate military production rifle ever made, and that's specifically because they're also the only rifle ever designed around a specific cartridge. Beginning with the 1911, k11, k31, zfk55 and the PE57, all shoot the match grade GP11 175gr cartridge.
My Dad spent a lot of years developing load data that rivaled the GP11 and when the Berger VLD 175gr came to be he equaled and surpassed the GP11's performance. We work a lot with the Sierra 175gr Matchking and the 175gr Berger VLD here.

This one is my pride and joy. A mint Officer's Issue Swiss Dagger and k31 given to my Dad in appreciation of his work with Swiss Rifles. They engraved the Swiss Dagger with an honorary title.

Armoury10.jpg

LatRifle.jpg

Officersk31.jpg

SwissDagger.jpg

Three years ago Dad retired (sorta) I became the keeper of the armoury and he gave me the Dagger, the rifle and the keys to the armoury. He's still with me all of the time and I'll always be learning from him, but now most of the development is up me me under his guidance.

Love these rifles.

Latigo

Did I say that? I said it was repeatable, not all day long. You could have assumed it wouldn't happen without the eye-roll.
Thanks for the welcome.

Latigo

Latigo,

This is the place where there is a ton of guys who are willing to share knowledge and help one learn LOTS. There are many great shooters here and a veritable bottomless pit if information. In some cases you will take some gentle ribbing from guys about it. Then there is an entirely different group of guys tha will stand in line ALL DAY LONG to call you a liar. Your are new here. You cant possible shoot that well. Many new posters endure this. Its apparently some sort of initiation or rite of passage. If its not possible for them, its certainly not possible for you. I also realize that there are many guys that will radically overstate the capabilities of themselves and their rifles so I kinda also understand where it all comes from.

For me, I think its a fine group and it doesnt need to be proven again. This is a General Discussion forum within BRC. Its not like you posted this in the Competition Only forum and claimed that this rifle shot every group like this.

Good luck,

Jamie

Once again, I have to say it.................

THANKS SO MUCH, for the fine pix of the FINE equipment. That dagger is truly a wonderful example of the maker's determination.;)

Latigo,

I shoot from inside a heated building a lot and I have a question, and a comment.

How do you deal with mirage/refraction/heat waves pouring out the hole and buggering your sight picture? Or is this why you set it up this way? I shoot with the muzzle extending outside and often deal with mirage. My fix is to draw the air IN, toward my face. Cold but effective.

And my comment, unless you're absolutely sure NOBODY EVER can walk/run/drive/fly/meander/crawl/wobble into the small viewing area..... it get's worrisome to shoot through a hole. (altho your area looks suitably remote! :) )

I used to shoot through a "silencer" made of tires and just had to quit because I couldn't be SURE someone couldn't wander into the firing area.

the other advantage to opening up the viewing area is that you can then observe wind flags.

Anyway... kudos on a nice setup!

very cool

al

Back