? on new hermes engravers

rputzbach

I know someone who has 1 floor model and 2 table top models for sale. I was looking for one to do barrels. I don't think these are motorized and would like some information on which one would be best for my needs and what to look for in the fonts. You can call me at 716-983-4778, thank you

Definitely the floor model. A desk top is just alright if you have an area to permanently mount it. I have several sets of fonts and like the single block fonts best. You don't need the motorized models.
Butch

Another way to go, if you have a "buddy", with a four axis vertical machining center, is to "project", the lettering onto the surface, and create a toolpath, with cad/cam software. Weigh all of the factors, such as turnaround, cost of the engraving machine/tooling, time in house to do it yourself, quality of end result.
Regards,
Bob

A fellow is coming today to pick up a Gorton 3 axis engraver and 4 sets of fonts. I gave it to him as my New Hermes does all that I need.
Ask Jay Lynn Gore about the floor model New Hermes and 6 sets of fonts I bought from the trophy shop in Seymour,Texas. It was $150. John Horn and Richard Futch about choked. The guy was their long time friend and they didn't know it was for sale. It had the motorized kit in addition to a lot of tooling.
Butch

Butch is your conscience hurting you....

I paid Carl more that that for my letter sets... my New Hermes clone desk top engraver cost me over $450.00

Nat

I have one, works great for barrels with the powered cutter. The lettering looks a lot better than the scribe produces.

The secret: Tracer has a spring loaded plunger, allowing the cutter to maintain a constant depth of cut over the round barrel. And ya gotta keep the cutters sharp!!!!! Use cutting oil on the barrel and you will have better looking engraving.

If old age memory allows me I will take a photo and post tomorrow.

Last edited:
ry%3D400

Engraver tracers. Top is a one piece, the standard one for engraving flat surfaces. Bottom has an internal spring, so the tip acts like a plunger and stays in the template as the cutter follows a round shaft or barrel. This maintains a constant cutter depth resulting in crisp uniform lettering on the barrel.

I have to go look at the machines, the man that has them doesn't know what pieces or parts go to which one. I gathered that they were his fathers and the man selling them never used them.They were used for trophies and mugs.Thanks for the help.

Back