older reloading scale & priming tool

Rflshootr

Guys, I inherited an older RCBS powder scale and an
unknown priming tool that I'd like to find some info on.
The scale is missing the pan & pan holder that I'd like to find replacements for. Anyone know what model this RCBS scale is?
Anyone know what brand of priming tool this is? I'm thinking an old Lyman.
005.jpg006.jpg

Early Lee, used seperate screw-in holders. Great to set depth but you had to handle primers one at a time.
Gave all my old one aways several years ago for newer styles.

i got two of those priming tools along with several different shell holders at an estate sale. its a simple device to use while watching tv.
i use it on .308 brass. the tool is made of pot metal.
be careful of too much strength on the lever.
i was told that the lever was the first thing to break - its non repairable.
keep the base of the cam lever well greased.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to the powder scales they look like a RCBS 5-0-5. You can go to the RCBS web site for contact info and order a pan from them. About $5 or so. Great scales if properly maintained. By proper maintenance I mean keep the anvils and vee-blocks clean and dry. Use a Q-tip and alcohol. Then when you get the pan, set the scales on a firm surface and adjust that screw on the left of your photo till the beam pointer is on zero. This must be done with the sliding weights on their zero scale points and the pan in its hangar.

Oops, looks like you need to order a pan hangar too.

Last edited:
RCBS is flatout awesome in their parts dept. Send 'em an email with a description of your situation, include this picture, and just ask for a quote on the parts.

I think you'll find that they'll treat you fair.

Keep us posted as to your results

al

Ditto what Al said. I cracked the "nut" on one of their inertial bullet pullers, and asked them for a quote on a new one. They just sent me one gratis. I don't know if that'll be the case with the scale pan and holder but you never know.

The old Lee priming tools work, but I never liked them.

Beam Scale vs Electronic scale

I have a 505 Scale that is over 40 years old. It has been dropped, packed up and moved and left inthe corner for many years at a time.

I bought a New RCBS Charge master about two years ago.

After setting both up and calibrating them I found the Beam scales weighted consistently but about .4 lighter than the Charge master.

As for speed using a good powder measure and dribbler I can dispense loads faster with the beam scale. But the RCBS Chargemaster can do the measuring while I am doing something else and have the measured powder waiting for me to put in the case.

I prefer the RCBS Chargemaster.

Nat Lambeth

I have a 505 Scale that is over 40 years old. It has been dropped, packed up and moved and left inthe corner for many years at a time.

I bought a New RCBS Charge master about two years ago.

After setting both up and calibrating them I found the Beam scales weighted consistently but about .4 lighter than the Charge master.

I prefer the RCBS Chargemaster.

Nat Lambeth

Nat, if you take a certified test weight and weigh it on both the 505 and the Chargemaster, which one is correct?

Guys, I inherited an older RCBS powder scale and an
unknown priming tool that I'd like to find some info on.
The scale is missing the pan & pan holder that I'd like to find replacements for. Anyone know what model this RCBS scale is?
Anyone know what brand of priming tool this is? I'm thinking an old Lyman.
View attachment 10696View attachment 10697

Seems to me there should also be another hanging adjutment for weighing "10ths" as on my old Pacific from the same time period,

Jerry;

You are correct. I zoomed it in and I do now see it. A bit differant from my Pacific, but it's there. Also, it seems to have an oil "dampener " resevoire ( spell check ?) like mine. I really don't have any more use for mine and don't know why I keep it around. Bought it from my neihbor "boots" Obermeyer back in the early 60's.

Jerry;

You are correct. I zoomed it in and I do now see it. A bit differant from my Pacific, but it's there. Also, it seems to have an oil "dampener " resevoire ( spell check ?) like mine. I really don't have any more use for mine and don't know why I keep it around. Bought it from my neihbor "boots" Obermeyer back in the early 60's.

Keep it. One of these days the electricity may go off and that scale will still work.

Most of powder scales are made by the same 2 companies. Pact and Ohaous.

Boots Obermeyer.....I remember reading about him.

Keep it. One of these days the electricity may go off and that scale will still work.

Most of powder scales are made by the same 2 companies. Pact and Ohaous.

Boots Obermeyer.....I remember reading about him.

Yup,
I have before me an American Rifleman magazine dated July 1981 which details his creating the first barrel in this country to accept The .220 Russian cartridge mated to a 788 action. The ammo was brought here by some people from Soldier Of Fortune. They couldn't find a firearm to bring back, just the ammunition. If you can get your hands on the magazine, read it. Perhaps you can get it on line and read it. Most interesting. Most don't even know how the cartridge was actually introduced to this country. I brought it along to a Holton match 2 years ago and let Buchtel read it.

Yup,
I have before me an American Rifleman magazine dated July 1981 which details his creating the first barrel in this country to accept The .220 Russian cartridge mated to a 788 action. The ammo was brought here by some people from Soldier Of Fortune. They couldn't find a firearm to bring back, just the ammunition. If you can get your hands on the magazine, read it. Perhaps you can get it on line and read it. Most interesting. Most don't even know how the cartridge was actually introduced to this country. I brought it along to a Holton match 2 years ago and let Buchtel read it.

I still have a few AR's in the 1980's, I'll look. BTW, I still have a few early '60's AR's. Talk about disheartening, pre GCA 68 ads!! Why didn't we stop the GCA of 1968??

I still have a few AR's in the 1980's, I'll look. BTW, I still have a few early '60's AR's. Talk about disheartening, pre GCA 68 ads!! Why didn't we stop the GCA of 1968??

Probably because most likely, no one ever thought it would get to this. Incidently , the article on Obermeyer is on page 36.
On the cover of same magazine is a photo of an embellished 1911. If you don't have it or can't download it, I'll bring it along at the next SS.

Probably because most likely, no one ever thought it would get to this. Incidently , the article on Obermeyer is on page 36.
On the cover of same magazine is a photo of an embellished 1911. If you don't have it or can't download it, I'll bring it along at the next SS.

Joe, bring it with you next year. While I was plundering through some old stacks of magazines I did find the March 1982 Playboy with Bo Derek on the cover so the search wasn't a total loss!!

Joe, bring it with you next year. While I was plundering through some old stacks of magazines I did find the March 1982 Playboy with Bo Derek on the cover so the search wasn't a total loss!!

I'm certainly happy to hear that, because all this time I thought I was the only dirty ole' man around !
Hey... wait ! 1982 ? I wasn't so old then . Jus 49 !

Back