Off topic Tin Can shooter

Butch Lambert

2eoy9h5.jpg

2468cg2.jpg

2qmp2s9.jpg

Gorgeous!

How about some history on it? What kind of accuracy do you get? With what ammo?

Well, it has a long history. The receiver and PT&G bolt was given to me several years ago by a good friend, John Ambler. The receiver had the threads touched up and bolt face squared. Ed Shilen was kind enough to pick a blank for me and lap it with a slight choke. I sent it to Richard Gorham to chamber it. I sent the metal work to a stocker in Dodge City, Kansas. He disappeared with the metal work, my walnut blank, and my money. I was fortunate that the Dodge City Police found him and threw his A$$ in jail. I lost my money and wood. I guess that I was fortunate to recover my metal work. I bought another piece of walnut from Roger Vardy in Australia. Dan Armstrong in Alaska did the nice bolt handle. Tommy Kaye engraved the bolt knob. Sent it to Evan Koch in Minnesota for the stock work and Turnbull for the rust bluing. It has a Shilen trigger. The scope is one of only 3 internal adjustable ones produced in the Remington Custom Shop. It came from the estate of Mike Walker. I'm actually waiting on a set of custom scope bases to replace the ones that the thief lost.
I have not shot it. Just put it together and it has been chilly and very windy. I have 2 lots of Eley Tenex that I bought several years ago from Herb Gibson, several thousand rounds of different types of the old Russian ammo, Lapua, RWS, Agula, Fiocchi pistol match, and all kinds of CCI, Remington, Winchester, and so on.

Oh, that is not a tuner or suppressor. I made a fixture with a heavy steel plate, a 10" rod, and threaded it to accept different pins covered covered with electrical shrink tubing. A piece of Delrin protects the crown. All pics are made in the vertical.

I'm speechless and drooling.

Butch,

That is just a fabulous little rifle!

I, like so many others, really appreciate world class artwork like that. You spare nothing when building rifles that will be treasured by their owner/caretakers for generations to come.

Gene Beggs

Hi Butch,

I don't know if you're aware of it, but Evan is a good friend and has made the trek down to Nebraska to shoot in my tunnel on multiple occasions.

The last time he visited was when he was in the middle of your project and I suggested we should get your permission to do a little testing with that gem. Unfortunately, at that time, he didn't have a suitable slave stock and our only other option would have been to mount it in one of my Rail-Guns.
Anyway, it remained just a thought and never progressed beyond that.

It sure would have been a lot of fun finding out how well it shoots, although I doubt it'll shoot as well as it looks! LOL It's gorgeous!

Landy

Landy and others, thanks. It is nice to have great craftsman out there that I can trust. The photography was done by a young man here in Dallas, Tx. Evan did shoot it before he finished the stock. With Ed Shilen providing a great blank and Richard Gorham doing the chambering, I know that it will shoot.

Wow!

Butch, I just finished reading the entire step by step record of how your stock was built. This is world class work that can only be done by those with God given talent and training from the best in the business.

I have three such stocks that were made for me by Charlie Coffin, who is now deceased. Charlie was a proud member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. I was fortunate to have him living right here in my hometown of Odessa, Texas. I got to monitor his progress almost weekly. Talk about a man with patience; these guys are cut from a special material much like the walnut they so dearly love. If this young man is not already a member of the Guild, I'm sure he soon will be. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gene Beggs

Butch, I just finished reading the entire step by step record of how your stock was built. This is world class work that can only be done by those with God given talent and training from the best in the business.

I have three such stocks that were made for me by Charlie Coffin, who is now deceased. Charlie was a proud member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. I was fortunate to have him living right here in my hometown of Odessa, Texas. I got to monitor his progress almost weekly. Talk about a man with patience; these guys are cut from a special material much like the walnut they so dearly love. If this young man is not already a member of the Guild, I'm sure he soon will be. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gene Beggs

Gene, Evan has spent time with Stephen Dodd Hughes for his lessons. Steve usually has a class for 4 people in the summer. I think Evan has the ability to get into the guild as a stockmaker. He is also a nice young man to deal with.
Maybe I'll get an opportunity to see yours one of these days.
Gene, my 220 Beggs on the mini mauser is completed. Hopefully I'll have photos soon. It is the best handling hunting rifle that I own. You sent me load info quite a while back, but I haven't mounted a scope on it yet.

Gene, Evan has spent time with Stephen Dodd Hughes for his lessons. Steve usually has a class for 4 people in the summer. I think Evan has the ability to get into the guild as a stockmaker. He is also a nice young man to deal with.
Maybe I'll get an opportunity to see yours one of these days.
Gene, my 220 Beggs on the mini mauser is completed. Hopefully I'll have photos soon. It is the best handling hunting rifle that I own. You sent me load info quite a while back, but I haven't mounted a scope on it yet.

Yes Butch, I hope we can get together soon to visit and shoot. Of course, the tunnel is always available or I can come to your place. I'll be in touch.

Gene

Your 40X

Butch,

You already know what I think of that gun. I followed Evan's progress on the stock from Day One.

Lovely, lovely.

Dick

Gene B.

Gene,

If you like the customs, I have several threads on www.accuratereloading.com on the customs I have stocked in the last two years... two rimfires and a Ruger No. 1 in .222 that will be shot in local BR matches this year. Scroll down to the "Custom rifles" forum. I'd be interested in what you think.

Dick

My rimfire projects...

I spent a couple of years modifying these two CZ rifles and stocking them. The top one is mine and the other one belongs to a friend. They are both chambered in 17 HMR.

Dick Wright

I spent a couple of years modifying these two CZ rifles and stocking them. The top one is mine and the other one belongs to a friend. They are both chambered in 17 HMR.

Dick Wright

Dick, these rifles are gorgeous. I love the classic shape and I'm sure the picture doesn't do justice to the finish and checkering. How do you place a value on such artwork? The answer is simple; you cannot!

We who cherish such rifles have a great responsibility to see that they wind up only in the hands of those who can appreciate what they are and will see that they are preserved for posterity. Beautiful work!

Best regards

Gene Beggs

Back