Obtainable velocity with a 6 dasher

D

distantfoe

I'm on the fence between 6x47 and 6 dasher. I like the idea of the dasher's accuracy but what kind of velocity can I expect w/105s without giving up much accuracy? Probably would limit barrel length to 30".

Also being able to use 8208xbr in the dasher would be a plus, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of success with this cal?

Distantfoe
I read alot of posts asking how much velocity someone can get out of cartridge xyz.The maximum velocity achieveable is only worth 2 cents unless its also the most accurate load.
With a 105 in a Dasher a little over 3000 fps is where it shoots best so unless you can reach the next higher plateau figure on 3020 fps.
A 6BR will shoot at 2970 fps so the Dasher is worth 50 fps.
A 6-284 a 240 Weatherby and a 6mm-06 will all shoot at 3200 and again at3425 with the 105's.You can push them to 3500 but they don't shoot accurately there.
Waterboy aka Lynn

Here are the velocity's I find best accuracy from several 6Dasher barrels:
- 105 bullets <> 3050 to 3125-fps
- 107 bullets <> 3025 to 3075-fps
- 115 bullets <> 2950 to 3025-fps

One of my pet-loads for the 105's (as you inquire of) that has giving me great accuracy and brass life, is from RL15 at 3070-fps from a 31" barrel.
Besides the accuracy it is easy on the brass. Had one set of brass that gave me 26 cycles of great accuracy from this pet-load.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
Distantfoe
I read alot of posts asking how much velocity someone can get out of cartridge xyz.The maximum velocity achieveable is only worth 2 cents unless its also the most accurate load.

I completely agree. This is the sight I come to when I'm after accurate obtainable velocities.

Thanks for the info

Distantfoe
Here is the story on Bill Copelin shooting a pair of 6Dashers at The NBRSA 1,000 Yard Nationals.His load was running a little over 3015 fps and he was using a standard throat.Youi can put a bunch of freebore in your chamber and jack up the velocity were best accuracy is found.I did that on a 6br but went back to 0.105 freebore.

Billy Copelin won lightgun group,heavygun group,heavygun score,two gun group agg,two gun score agg,2nd in lightgun score,won 3 target heavygun score,won 3 target lightgun group,won 3 target lightgun score and won the National Title by 19 points over the 2nd place finisher.
Billy also set 4 pending NBRSA national records to boot.
Right now your probaly thinking it just doesn't get any better than that but you would be wrong Billy earned enough points at the match to put him into the newly formed Hall Of Fame with 11 points total.I was going to put out a huge equipment list of what all the winners were shooting but thanks to Billy my job is now much easier.
Billy shot a pair of 6 Dashers built by Rick Beginski.
Light gun 16.8lb.Dasher Neck 269 Action-Nesika -K.-- Scope- NightForce 8/32. Barrel-Krieger 1/8. Bullets-BERGER 6mm 105 Hunting VLD.Hoover Trimmer and Tipping dies. stock-Shehane tracker. brass-lapua 6br. primer CCI 450. powder R15. Heavy gun 35lb dasher neck 269. big nesika k. barrel krieger-straight.1.450 30inches long. scope Nightforce 12-42. stock Shehane heavy tracker.modified with front and rear rails.

He finished 2nd in lightgun score to Barry Bluhm who was shooting a 6X47.They both had the same score but Barry had a higher "X" count.

Waterboy aka Lynn

For what it's worth, I'm working on a new BR-DX, which is a short Dasher by about .026. I've tried 3 different powders, two with 105's and BR4's the third with 107's and 450cci's. Although 8208 and Varget shot decent ladders at 300 yards, R15 with 107's and 450's produced that "WOW" factor.
Like with most of my rifles this one wants to shoot at the top velocities but also has shown promise at the upper end of the low node. I plan to tweak two loads with seating depth work, one load is 33.6, the other 34.8 which is the bottom of the upper node.
Both of these loads shot under a .62 at 300 with 3 shot groups.
Velocity: 2990 and 3080.
If you want top velocoties they are:
Varget 36.5, 105's and BR4's 3211fps
8208 35.6, 105's and BR4's 3245fps
Both loads showed some slight signs of pressure.
vinny

Last edited by a moderator:
holy cow, i guess i need to switch to a br-dx. i about had to stand on my dasher to get the bolt open trying to run 33.3 of the new 8208. that was running 3055 fps, and was absolutely over max in my gun.
tom

The fastest I could get was 3000 but 2970 is the load I used. Berger 105's and 108's and Lapua 105's all went the same speed.

Dasher

I can get 3050 with 108 Berger and 34 grains of Varget but i shoot it at 3000. That is with a Broughton barrel at 30". The differences i believe is in different barrels and throats. Matt Kline

I was hoping to have a chance at 3050 with good accuracy, looks like it's doable with some tuning.

Doesn't the dasher have the capacity advantage over the BRDX?

yes it does, i just wanted to make that post so someone doesnt read this thread, and go put 35+grains of 8208 in their dasher and get hurt. but yea, the dasher has the shoulder moved forward a tenth, and the br-dx is basically a 6br(a.i.). allthough, it is a sweet looking case, and prolly has enough room to reach the accuracy window. that extra neck would be damn handy, if it was'nt for all these expensive custom dasher dies, and reamers, and...... i would really look hard at the br-dx if i was starting from scratch, just for the neck length alone.
tom

Back