norma 6mm br brass fo 30br ??

M

mike in co

anyone use norma brass instead of lapua ?
do you use a different reamer for this brass ?? (body /case head size)

thanks
mike in co

Mike
I tried it early on as I always liked the Norma PPC brass but I felt it was way too soft for the 30BR. It was difficult to resize after a single firing.

Dick

Norma 6BR historically runs as much as .002 inch smaller at the web than does Lapua.

Most reamers in the hands of accuracy minded 'smiths are ground to fit the Lapua Case........jackie

True regarding brass size at the rim. I bought an RFD 6PPC light gun several years ago from a fellow down south. He had purchased it from Bob Dodd who had built it form himself. I tried chambering some new lapua 6mm BR cases and they would not fit. I emailed Bob and he said, "of course they won't, its chambered for Norma cases, that's all I use." So, I bought 100 from Ken Livengood(there are plenty around if you ask), neck turned them and shot them. I shot them with the same amount of N133 I had used in my other gun with Laupa brass dimensioned chamber(about 28.5-29gr) and the cases held up very well. Perhaps that's a pooch load by some standards? My recollection is that over the chrono they were in the vicinity of 3300 fps with a 66 gr Fowler and bullet and a 4 groove Krieger barrel. --Greg

Norma 6BR historically runs as much as .002 inch smaller at the web than does Lapua.

Most reamers in the hands of accuracy minded 'smiths are ground to fit the Lapua Case........jackie

Concerning the use of Norma brass in a "Lapua" chamber................

Lately I have had some bad experiences with Lapua 6BR brass, so I thought I'd go into hock and buy some Norma brass in the same caliber. Originally, I was not looking to use this brass in my 30BR. Then came the brass shortage and too, since reading this thread I had to look at the brass I was fire forming again. What I saw on my micrometer makes me ask: how current is the info regarding the web dimensions of Norma vs. Lapua 6BR brass and how much difference does it make anyway? My Lapua vs. Norma brass--each fired once for forming varies mostly .0005" or less at the web. I don't have any brass of either brand that has not been fired for forming, but I would not think that the dimensions at the web would change all that much anyway. And----even if there was .002" difference at the web--assuming all the cases were uniform--with jam seating--so what? Am I missing something here? My chamber and die was reamed for the roomier Lapua, or so I am told. I've shot groups with both Lapua and Norma brass with the brands segregated and have seen no difference in group sizes in either 6BR or 30BR. I was told when I ordered the 30BR barrel that "everyone" chambers for the Robinette version of the 30BR which I was also told was formed using Lapua 6 BR brass---ergo---- both brands of brass would work?????

Last edited by a moderator:
the comments about Norma brass being smaller in the web than Laupa are about the old Norma brass...made years ago and perhaps up until recently for all I know just prior to the intro of the new stuff. It was definitely smaller in the web area and Laupa would not fit a chamber made with a reamer dimensioned to the OLD Norma 6 ppc brass. --Greg

Concerning the use of Norma brass in a "Lapua" chamber................

Lately I have had some bad experiences with Lapua 6BR brass, so I thought I'd go into hock and buy some Norma brass in the same caliber. Originally, I was not looking to use this brass in my 30BR. Then came the brass shortage and too, since reading this thread I had to look at the brass I was fire forming again. What I saw on my micrometer makes me ask: how current is the info regarding the web dimensions of Norma vs. Lapua 6BR brass and how much difference does it make anyway? My Lapua vs. Norma brass--each fired once for forming varies mostly .0005" or less at the web. I don't have any brass of either brand that has not been fired for forming, but I would not think that the dimensions at the web would change all that much anyway. And----even if there was .002" difference at the web--assuming all the cases were uniform--with jam seating--so what? Am I missing something here? My chamber and die was reamed for the roomier Lapua, or so I am told. I've shot groups with both Lapua and Norma brass with the brands segregated and have seen no difference in group sizes in either 6BR or 30BR.

My Norma is 10yrs old and works great with my Robinett spec'd reamer. When I get back from Alaska I will mic both new and fireformed brass. That is Norma and Lapua.
Butch

I have not measured any Norma as of late.

The "problem" with the difference in the dimensions of the two brands was not if Norma would be fine in a chamber reamed for Lapua, but the fact that many shooters who had older Rifles chambered with a reamer dimensioned for the Norma Brass would not accept a Lapua Case.

Most reamers now days make a chamber that will accept Lapua, so over the years, this has become a moot point. But, every now and then a shooter will aquire an older barrel only to find that it will not work with Lapua.

If .002 web expansion does not present a problem, then by all means the Norma will work fine in the Lapua Chambers.

Just a question. Are the newest lots of Norma 6BR brass the samesize at the web as Lapua??.

In all honesty, the Lapua is so darned good that many just never bother to try any other brands.........jackie

Last edited:
If you going to run a hot load don't expect much from the new Norma 6BR brass.

why ?

the issue in the past...as pointed out several times was the smaller brass in the lapua chamber.
in a norma chamber no issue, from the posts here, no issue with the current norma in the current lapua chamber...

so why ??

mike in co

Back