Nightforce scopes for BR ?

Joe Krupa

I have two bench guns that have some weight margin that could be taken up with a heavier scope. I use both Leupolds and Marchs and like the 45X and 50X with a fine crosshair. (I'm not much for dots or the more complicated reticles.)

Is there a Nighforce that is solid enough to short benchrest and have an uncomplicated reticle?

Hello Joe,
The answer to your questions is Yes and Yes. They are outstanding and durable scopes. Probably not what the March is but they are very good. There are some recticles that work for BR. The only problem I have seen as far as LV guns go that can make weight with them and is somewhat less of an issue with HV guns....they raise the center of gravity. For me, it seemed to allow more twisting of the gun in the bags when it came to a LV/sporter. Groups didn't really suffer under the good conditions I tried one in but I believe it would slow a person down a little if he had to get rounds down range fast because of time. I only tried one of the scopes on two of my guns (it was a friends scope and he wanted to see how it would do) on a single day so I can't really say it was a good test for shortrange BR.

Hovis

Joe,

I have two bench guns that have some weight margin that could be taken up with a heavier scope. I use both Leupolds and Marchs and like the 45X and 50X with a fine crosshair. (I'm not much for dots or the more complicated reticles.)

Is there a Nighforce that is solid enough to short benchrest and have an uncomplicated reticle?

its my understanding they do now offer X hair and dot or X hair in the 12-42 BR scope. I had the NP2DD and liked it the best of any reticle I've ever used. However, I think you will find that NF is apt to have issues with lens stability and holding poi just like leupold does. Just like Leupold they are wonderful on the warranty side. Not to say by any means that they have any more or less problems, but they are not bullet proof imo and experience. --Greg

Last edited:
Joe

I have been using them for 9 years on LR rifles and can say with certainty that optical clarity is excellent. Where these scopes really stand out though is in durability, that unfortunately plays into the weight issue.

True story: At the 2003 Williamsport World Open, I had my 308 Baer sitting on the bench top as I was greasing the bolt lugs in a standing position. I dropped my bolt and while diving to save the bolt, my rear hit the buttstock and the rifle went airborne. I hope you never have to experience what a benchrest rifle bouncing on concrete sounds like. Well, I continued setting up the bags, ammo and newly scratched and dented rifle.

The range master called the line hot and I thought, well here goes this oughta be fun trying to find a zero. I fired and to my suprise the target dropped...came back up as a wide ten at three oclock.

That is a true return to zero story!

I use the NP2DD reticle, I think a reticle like the NP2DD without the middle dot, (only the three stadia lines) would be cool for bracketing the mothball if the line spacing was correct for yardage. My favorite reticle is the floating crosshair or floating cheveron, my sight picture centers well on both, but I haven't seen that since the military days.

They are really, really good scopes but really heavy too.

My opinion,
See you at the Hog Roast, Mike

P.S. The bolt never hit the deck

Joe

I turned a light into a HV by adding a nightforce 12x42 BR, I did it mainly for score w/ the 30 BR but changing the barrel to a 6PPC I have fared well in group. Last yr I placed 15th at the SS at 100 HV and at Union County (Weikert) I placed 2nd in HV 200 yds in the spring, shooting 3 of the 5 small groups including a screamer of .199" . My reticle is I believe the NP1 and maybe not the standard but id doesn't hinder me either. Curtis

Back