Nice Home Shop Lathe???

RoyB

This thing might be a good answer for a home shop. 28" is a bit of a limitation, but with a 1.5" hole in headstock, other than turning a barrel you would be able to do most gunsmithing procedures "through the headstock"

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/METAL-LATHE-12IN.-X28IN.-WITH-DIGITAL-READOUT.html

$2600 with Digital Read Out!

Product Description
CX701

12" x 28" Metal Lathe with Digital Read Out - Craftex CX-Series

This new CX-Series Metal Lathe is has the features a serious turner would be looking for. Features include a powerful 1.5HP motor, a large 1.5" spindle bore digital variable speed readout, gear box transmission, precision bed ways and is built with superior accuracy and tolerances.

Other feature include power cross feed, large bed width for added capacity, right & left thread cutting, precision ground and hardened v-way beds and high end gear box transmission design. Like all CX-Series machines, this unit features powder coated paint, sharp looking two tone colours and a full 3 year warranty.

Features

Digital Variable Speed
Power Cross Feed
T-Slotted Cross Slide
Adjustable Gibs for Slideways
Equipped with High End Belt & Control Board
Gear Box Transmission
Overall Heavy Duty Construction
Hardened and ground cast iron bed
Lubricated slide ways
Full length Splash Guard
Full Length Chip Tray
Easy to use carriage controls
Four way tool post
Powder Coated Paint
3 Year Warranty

Specifications

Motor - 1.5-HP, 1.1 KW, 110 V, 12.3 Amp, 4600 r/min
Distance between centers - 27.5"
Swing Over Bed - 11.5"
Swing Over Cross Slide - 6.5"
Width of Bed - 7"
Taper of Spindle Bore - MT5
Spindle Bore - 1.5"
Number of Speeds - Variable (Digital Variable Speed)
Range of Spindle Speeds - 50 - 850 RPM and 110 - 1800 RPM
Range of Longitudinal Feeds - 0.07 - 0.40mm/r
Range of Cross Feeds - 0.02" to 0.28mm/r
Number of Imperial Threads - 21
Range of Inch Threads - 8 - 56 T.P.I
Number of Metric Threads - 18
Range of Metric Threads - 0.2 - 3.5mm
Max. Carriage Travel - 22"
Max .Compound Slide Travel - 3"
Max. Cross Slide Travel - 5.5"
Max. Tailstock Quill Travel - 3"
Taper of Tailstock Quill - MT3

Packing Dimensions - 55" X 27.5" X 27"
Weight - 250 kg (556lbs)
Approx. Shipping Weight - 285kg (634lbs)

Standard Equipment

One Face Plate: 8"
8-pcs Change Gears
4-Jaw Chuck: approx 6-1/4" (160 mm)
3-Jaw Chuck: approx 6-1/4" (160 mm)
Steady Rest
Follow Rest
External Jaws for 3-Jaw Chuck
Dead Center: MT3
Reduce Sleeve (No. 5/3)
Oil Gun
Powder Coated Chip Tray
4-Way Tool Post
Wrenches (8-10, 12-14, 17-19)
Hex Wrenches (3, 4, 5, 6, 8)
3-pcs Chuck Keys
2-pcs Screw Drivers: Phillip & Slotted
Toolbox

for 500 more you can get a G4003g, a lot more lathe if you ask me. ANd the DRO only reads the speeds, its not a true position DRO.

The Busy Bee looks very good for a home lathe that does not need to cross the border. I think the dro is for rpm only, but it did catch m eye when I had an email from them! Add an xy dro and you could do a lot of work with it!

Has anybody used a DRO when threading?
Butch
Never in my wildest dreams. I added a DRO to my lathe and the y (not the crossfeed) axis went out and Shooting Star sent me a new one and I've never even installed it. I have a clamp on dial indicator that does everything I need and I trust it.

I do use the DRO for the crossfeed (never am sure just which axis that is) quite often but never needed one for threading.

Oops! Didn't see the DRO was only for speed............

I have the Shooting Star on my 12X36 Jet and use it all the time for threading and everything else. I can't imagine using my lathe or milling machine without DRO. It just makes the work so darn easy..........

In the past couple of years, we have purchased three new 24x80 Kingston Lathes, all with DRO. I never use the DRO.

May be a generational thing.........jackie

Has anybody used a DRO when threading?
Butch
Always. Obviously not because it is required but I find setting depth of cut more accurate, easier and faster. When I thread to a shoulder I crank out the cross slide instead of making a relief groove. Sometimes I wind out more turns than normal and the DRO makes it very easy to get back to my last depth of cut. I can look at the DRO Z axis to tell me when to crank out the cross slide but, to me and what I find myself threading, watching the tool and waiting for the proper gap is a better method. If I am starting a cut at the shoulder and going backwards, I use the DRO to start. You can also watch for unwanted X axis movement of the cross slide.

556 lbs?

How do they make a 12"x28" lathe so lite ?

My 'little' 11x20 is more than twice that, without the stand

Back