Newbie Needs Help

G

Grego

Hello,

Getting into bechrest after over 25 years in various shooting sports (handgun metallic silhouette, pistol bullseye, trap, black powder). Considering the Remington 40-XBBR and the Cooper TRP-3 and have several questions:
- Opinion of these two rifles
- Other rifles in this price range (can't afford custom at this time)
- Best scope parameters (magnification range, best brands, etc)
- Best rests
- Is tuner required?

Thanks for all your input.

I would look at a used Anschutz model 54 actioned rifle, with tuner and a benchrest stock. Scope it with a 36 power Weaver or Sightron. Buy a set of flags and used them every time you shoot. Also buy some mid grade match ammo of a couple different persuasions and shoot, a lot. Once you know what you and the rifle are capable of, look to refine your ammo search to find what lots/brands shoot best in your rifle.

Ken Henderson

IMHO, I would go with the Cooper 57m TRP route and swap out the trigger, for a Jard. 36 power scope a must, concur with the Sightron. Rest: Randolph Manufacturing. Bags: The best your money can buy. Tuner by all means. 1 wind probe and a min. of 4 wind flags to go with it. Like the previous post, each time you shot or practice use the flags. Coopers are by far the best bang for your buck, right out of the box they will compete. AMMO: 64 thousand dollar question, where is it? When you find some quality stuff, buy it. One concern I personally have buying used, is the condition of the barrel inside. If you commit to used, have it scoped.

Klayton Hayes

Last edited:
I must respectfully disagree with the post directly above. Cooper makes a fine rifle. They are nice to look at and wonderful to hold. Unfortunately the Cooper is NOT built as a competitive bench rest rifle. They are terrific squirrel guns.

The 40x is an old stand by and many have been built to be competitive bench guns. A decent 2 oz trigger and a good barrel using good ammo will teach you about the rim fire bench game in a relatively short time period.

Lots of good custom bench rifles out there. You have to look for them, and many of them are not that expensive. My suggestion is to attend a local match or three and meet the folks competing and let them know you are looking for a rifle. Word of mouth is how 95% of our toys change hands. Always expect to replace a barrel on a used rifle (that way you won't be disappointed when you change it) and never ever buy a used bench rifle without shooting it first so you know how it feels and performs for you. You cannot do that with a new custom build....and it may not shoot as well as the 40x your buddy is willing to sell. bob

ps: I see you are in PA. If you can get there the best education you will ever get is at Fairchance on June 21 at the IR50 unlimited nationals. You will have the opportunity to chat with some of the best shooters in the country and see what they use for gear. I'd be surprised if there were not a few good rifles changing hands as well. You cannot buy the kind of information you will go home with.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good input gents. I never thought about the wind flags.

Greg

A 4 foot piece of rebar hammered into the ground and a piece of surveyor's tape tied to the top makes a very good windflag and it's much cheaper to learn with than any other piece of equipment you will buy.
Dave

And btw, get the 40X. It will serve you well to learn with and you can upgrade with custom components as you need better stuff.

Last edited:
For the uninformed. The Cooper TRP 57m rifle is their entry level Bench Rest Rifle.
It has a proprietary Bell and Carson, Aircraft Grade Aluminum pillar bedded, flat bench rest stock. .875 Wilson match grade barrel, and adjustable trigger. It is truly not one of their eye candy, simple squirrel guns. These Coopers are fully upgradable bench rest rifles that compete right out of the box. Again my concern with used custom is the barrel. $850 + for a new barrel on top of what was paid for the rifle!!!!!!!!! If one goes used again have the barrel scoped prior to buying.View attachment 14893 is my Bench Rest Stocked TRP included target.http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14894&stc=1&d=1401392682 Upgrades to the pictured basic Cooper TRP Rifle were: 1. The stock was sanded and a automotive paint finish applied, 2. tuner attached, and 3. a Jard Trigger installed.

Last edited:
I would start with a used custom built on a true benchrest quality action. The Coopers are decent, but they just are not a benchrest quality action (same for the CZ). That's not to say some can't be made to shoot well, but they have no closing cam on the action and poor surface area in the action lugs opposite the bolt handle. I would go with a used rifle based on a 40X or a Turbo or one of their clones.

For the uninformed. The Cooper TRP 57m rifle is their entry level Bench Rest Rifle.
It has a proprietary Bell and Carson, Aircraft Grade Aluminum pillar bedded, flat bench rest stock. .875 Wilson match grade barrel, and adjustable trigger. It is truly not one of their eye candy, simple squirrel guns. These Coopers are fully upgradable bench rest rifles that compete right out of the box. Again my concern with used custom is the barrel. $850 + for a new barrel on top of what was paid for the rifle!!!!!!!!! If one goes used again have the barrel scoped prior to buying.View attachment 14893 is my Bench Rest Stocked TRP included target.http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14894&stc=1&d=1401392682 Upgrades to the pictured basic Cooper TRP Rifle were: 1. The stock was sanded and a automotive paint finish applied, 2. tuner attached, and 3. a Jard Trigger installed.

We have seen quite a few TRP's pass through here. The couple you have up there seem to be quite competitive. This is the exception not the rule. The vast majority of these guns seem to be low-mid 240's guns.

Just got bad news from the Remington Custom Shop: they no longer make the 40-XX benchrest in .22LR.

What about the Anschutz BR50 vs. the Cooper?

Would also appreciate your input on a one-piece vs. front rest.

That is a very pretty rifle, and I'll take that target any day!!

Actully

We have seen quite a few TRP's pass through here. The couple you have up there seem to be quite competitive. This is the exception not the rule. The vast majority of these guns seem to be low-mid 240's guns.

I have seen 6 or 8 Cooper TRP's up here that are absolutely competitive and can name them. Some of them have a bit of age on them as well but they are just like every other rifle out there, if the barrel on them is good, the rest of the rifle works. Making rifle barrels that don's shoot well, shoot well is the real essence of this game and I am thinking very few people know how to do it. There are a few who do and if one thinks about it, they realize why their rifles shoot and how they do it.

Some of the owners of those rifles don't shoot very often but their rifles are lasers.

Pete

Rests

Just got bad news from the Remington Custom Shop: they no longer make the 40-XX benchrest in .22LR.

What about the Anschutz BR50 vs. the Cooper?

Would also appreciate your input on a one-piece vs. front rest.

Grego, as far as rests go it would depend on what you'll be shooting. In the IR 50 3 gun you'll need a 2 piece rest. In ARA you can use a 1 pc. There are several choices out there & several price points.
Bob had the best suggestion in going to a match to look it all over & talk to as many people you can. Most will be more than willing to help.
Good luck,
Keith

Take this for what its worth as I have been shooting Rimfire BR for less than a year. I reloaded and shot plenty of centerfire calibers for the past 35 years, though not in competition unless you consider yourself as your main opposition like I do. Precision rimfire is cursed with being at the mercy of finished ammunition manufacturers as opposed to your own attention to meticulous detail and consistency. I'll take the latter any day, but I digress.

I shot a Savage MKII BTVS which I accurized as much as was affordable for the first few shoots and quickly realized the humbling feeling that accompanies last place in the local club ARA League. I saved my shekels and finally amassed enough to buy a "real BR rifle", albeit an affordable one. I wanted a Remington 40Xb or a Win 52D, the latter possibly with a Kenyon or Canjar trigger, to grow into. After getting knocked out of the running for several good examples of each in open bidding on GB, I stumbled into the opportunity to buy a Cooper 57M TRP (not TRP3) with the red McMillan composite stock and fitted with a Sightron SII 36x42 scope. Since I owned several SII scopes and a set of their field glasses, I was already enamored with the model line. Anyway, I got the setup and a hard case for $1500. I knew the lineage of the rifle and both owners had gotten it for the ladies in their families. It was hardly used and by outward appearance it could pass for new, including the mirror like bore. Folks I knew were quick to point out that they had never seen a Cooper in the winner's circle at any major match, but that they felt the price for the package was great. I barely got to shoot it twice in the league before the big freeze once again descended upon Minnesota for another 6 months. I had all winter to ruminate on thse two outings and how I did not improve upon my scores over the Savage.

Looking at pictures from "The winner's circle" at some of the indoor matches, it became apparent I could improve upon my hardware and choice of ammunition. My front rest was a Rock BR1000 with a micro-slide table I got from a manufacturing surplus store adapted to fit it. My rear bag was a Dr Bag. No one at the nationals were using anything like that "franken-rest". All but one were using 1-piece rests and unlike my SK+ ammo, they were using Eley Match, Tenex or Lapua Midas. It was clear I needed to save more shekels, which I did. Overtime is a no-brainer in the winters up here. Too cold to do much else. By the start of the 2014 ARA league, I was ready to rock and roll. I had read my share of articles on utilizing wind flags. Something I did not use in the few months which I shot last year.

The hardware and a lick of understanding paid off. The first match, I had the high target for that cold (43F) afternoon (2200) and went from being the guy everybody else felt sorry for to someone to keep an eye on. Since that first shoot back in April, I've logged another 2200, a 2300 and several 2150s. I know that will not get you much respect in competition with the heavyweights, but how well were most of them shooting in their first year at it? Its 5 shoots into the season and I'm to the point to where if I shoot less than a 2xxx, I'm doing something wrong (again) and need to think about it.

The net point of this ramble is that any decent rifle is a good place to start out. My Cooper is an example of that kind of rifle. There are others as well. Like most BR shooters, I suspect that some day I'll move into a better platform, but for now, during these formative years, its as good a choice as any other, especially if you can fall into a good deal on one. The rifle is not holding this newbie back. Attention to detail and consistency are the biggies to conquer. That and that ornery wind. Master it and you can buy your way out of any other challenge that's in your way.

Good Luck with whatever platform you wind up throwing in with. Sweat the small things and have fun along the way. I sure am!

Hoot

Last edited:
Thank you Hoot. That was extremely helpful. Good luck with your improving scores.

Back