Newbie here looking for info.

R

RHC

Been wanting to get into Benchrest competition for the last 2 years; specifically 1000 yard light or heavy gun still deciding. Right now I'm confused on the whole thing. What are some rules I need to know? What gear am I going to need on the range? How bout reloading wise? Still deciding between a .284 Winchester or 7mm RUM.

What should I look for in:

Barrel maker? Is cut or push rifling better? What kind of crown? How long of a barrel? Diameter/thickness of a tube? Chamber modifications to improve accuracy? Who's the barrel maker you prefer?

Actions? Would a 700 that was trued and maybe modified work? Any custom actions that really shine?

Trigger?

Stock?

Optics?

Bases/Rings?

Gun smithing skills needed?

Like I said, I'm a full blown newbie and could use all the info possible. :D

Before I started shooting 1000 yard matches I looked up the most winningest gunsmith, I called him and that's how I started.. He fed me a ton of info and had know problems, ever answering any and all of my questions. I must have called that man a couple dozen times over a 3 month period..
Good luck, it's addicting
The winningest gunsmith at Williamsport was chosen because that's where I would be shooting..

Last edited by a moderator:
Find out What Your Options Are First

Before spending any money on the sport, I would find out where you can compete in your area and determine club rules that you would need to comply with. That way you can tailor your equipment for the competition that is available to you.

I would suggest contacting some 1,000 yard competitors in your area. There is a very nice 1,000 yard range near Missoula, the Deep Creek Range. You can find their information here http://www.hellgatecsa.org/id6.html.

Closer to home is the 1,000 yard range near Townsend, the Broadwater Rod and Gun Club. I don’t believe they hold sanctioned competitions but it might be worth looking into.

Been wanting to get into Benchrest competition for the last 2 years; specifically 1000 yard light or heavy gun still deciding. Right now I'm confused on the whole thing. What are some rules I need to know? What gear am I going to need on the range? How bout reloading wise? Still deciding between a .284 Winchester or 7mm RUM.

Barrel maker? Is cut or push rifling better? What kind of crown? How long of a barrel? Diameter/thickness of a tube? Chamber modifications to improve accuracy? Who's the barrel maker you prefer?

Actions? Would a 700 that was trued and maybe modified work? Any custom actions that really shine?

Trigger?

Stock?

Optics?

Bases/Rings?

I am somewhat surprised by the lack of interest in answering at least a couple of your questions with a more specific answer. As I think about it I guess that all of these questions have been asked and answered so many dozen of times before. That the regular posters tire of them over time and reply with good advice, but little if any information. I know what it is like to really want to know what I may or may not be getting into. The search for the details are the starting place and I believe provide the fuel to keep the new to the sport guy interested enough to take the first steps.

I am not a expert at Benchrest shooting, having gotten into the Long Range Benchrest and Mid Range Benchrest about three years ago. I have been fortunate enough to have some mentors that have guided me on this path. I also have had a fair amount of success and feel fortunate for those mentors, and give them the credit for my early wins.

You have quite a bit of work and study ahead of you, if you intend to pursue this type of shooting. It is a great sport and can be very rewarding if you are up to the task. With that I will take a stab at your questions and remember this is only my opinion, it is after all the only one I am qualified to speak to.

"Barrel maker? Is cut or push rifling better? What kind of crown? How long of a barrel? Diameter/thickness of a tube? Chamber modifications to improve accuracy? Who's the barrel maker you prefer?"

Well you are sure going to be good at stirring the pot, this is a loaded question and there are volumes written on this one subject alone.

Both cut and button barrels are winning matches every weekend. I personally don't feel there is a hell of a lot of difference seen on the target with either one. pick the one you like! Length of the barrel will be determined greatly by the weight restrictions you come under with what you choose to shoot. If you go heavy gun and build a rifle just for that class the sky is the limit as there is no weight restriction. Light gun you are going to have to make that 17 lb weight. The barrel is the place you probably will have to compromise on. Once again barrel maker is a crap shoot, if there was a easy answer for that one every one would be shooting barrels made by that guy. I own barrels by several of the barrel makers, Krieger, Bartlien, Brux, Broughton and others. Most of these barrels are handicapped by the shooter and not the other way around, at least in my case they are.

"Actions? Would a 700 that was trued and maybe modified work? Any custom actions that really shine? "

Once again Remington 700 actions will win a match somewhere in a up coming weekend match. Does that mean they are the best choice? Not in my opinion!! If you take into consideration what this new rifle is going to cost you to have built saving a few hundred dollars on the action is a not a very good idea. You question at the end is do any of the custom actions really shine? Against the Remington 700 they all do pretty much.

"Trigger? "

Jewell !!!

"Stocks?"

The one that fits you the best and makes weight. Bill Shehane at "Scopeus out.com" is a good man and makes a very good stock. It just may be a good place to start.

"Optics?"

How much money do you have to spend? March and Smith and Bender are good scopes and pricey, Nightforce is my personal choice, but there is a lot to look at in scopes before you even consider making a choice.

I left a couple of your questions alone, mainly because my finger is getting tired. Go read as much as you can and then ask some more questions. Hopefully you will get some answers.

I will add this one thing. Before you even consider building this long Range Rifle go over to the classifieds and look at what is for sale "NOW" ready to go. This certainly would be less expensive, and in the end maybe just as good.

Roland

Trigger?

Stock?

Optics?

Bases/Rings?

Forget about a 300 RUM, Maybe 284, The 6 dasher and 300 WSM dominate. A custom action is the best way to go, you don't see many 700 REM. actions anymore. BAT is probably the most popular. Jewell trigger. Wood or fiberglass like a Shehane tracker. Leupold Mark4 or Niteforce. Custom base with 20 minutes in it. Kelby rings. Make sure to get base to match rings. Pick a gunsmith that wins 1000 yard matches. Go to Montana 1000 yard and see when matches are. I believe there are contact numbers on there. Talk to one of them, they will guide you right. Matt

If it were me i would build a light gun to start, 17 Lbs. Cal. would be a Dasher, action would be a Bat model B 1.350 and a heavy varmint @ 28" with a Harrells brake Brux barrel 8-1 twist. Trigger would be a Kelblys or a Jewell. mount would be a Weaver style 20 minute made by Bat and Burris Sig.rings with the inserts. Scope i would go with March 10-60 with a 3/32 dot. Stock would be a PR&T low rider BR stock.I would run no less than a .135 free bore on the Reamer and if you were smart i would get my own reamer first,that way when you get a new barrel everything is the same. Maybe Tom would get on here and offer some advice, he's from out your way…… jim

Are the talley base-ring mount idea considered for this kind of discipline of shooting? Seems logical to me that they would work really well but I don't know if they would?

You need 20 min. built in to the mount, and or used with Burris signature rings and the 10 min. inserts. I have found the set up i gave you shoots the best and i have a large box of rings of every make,and the Burris rings don't mark up a scope. ………jim

March 15-16, April 12-13, May 10-11, June 14-15, July 12-13, August 9-10-11. That's the schedule for 1k benchrest at Missoula this season. Pop over any or all and get any information you need and more than you want.

Tom

Thanks for all the help and advice so far! I will try to make it to a match this year.

I have decided to make a 11 pound 6mm br. NOw to figure out action, barrel etc. etc.

I have decided to make a 11 pound 6mm br. NOw to figure out action, barrel etc. etc.

So you asked a whole pile of questions on building a 1000 yard comp rifle, then ignore every recomendation and build an 11 lb 6 br???????/ :confused:;)

You got some great advise by some top shooters.

Build a gun to finish at 17 LBS....NOT 11 !!! You can shoot a LG in both LG and HG classes...AND BE COMPEDITIVE!!!

CALIBER, Dasher or 6 BRX Both proven winners and are relitivly cheap to shoot.

Action..... Duel port BAT..I like the model "M"s so I can also use longer cases like the 280 AI or the 6.5-284 if I want to. Switching tubes on a BAT takes about two min!! I like to get 20 MOA rings from BAT also.

Trigger....Jewell

Stock.... I like the Shehane ST-1000. It is purly a matter of chioce, but there are a ton of them on the firing line.

Scope......I love all of my Nightforce scopes, but would love to try a March if I ever have the cash.

This is an expensive sport to get in to, but if you pick top brand name components you can recoup most of your money if you decide to get out by selling the parts....except for the BBL of course.....they are a wear item...like tires on your car.

The things you didn't ask are just as important......like what rests and bags to buy...reloading stuff, gun cases, ect.... this will also be a considerable expence.

The best advice I can give is to buy the best and cry once....just like BAT's motto!!! I have gotten into many different endvors in my life, and most of them I tryed to get in CHEEP. By the time the smoke blows away you will almost always end up with the stuff that you should have started with...you just spent a bunch of extra cash upgrading to better and better quality of JUNK till you get there!!!

The upside...the biggest for me is the people.... the only experience I have is with 600/1000 yard BR, but the shooters are the BEST!!! What other "sport" is there where the compeditor sitting next to you, or standing behind you, will go out of their way to help you"? EVEN though you may very well beat them!! Like minded people getting together and doing what they love!!!

Just my .02,

Tod

Tod -

Montana-1000 shoot a 11-lb class, as well as a 17-lb class, and unlimited weight HV-gun.
So if someone wants to shoot all 3 classes with one gun, an 11-lb gun is what you would build.

Donovan

So you asked a whole pile of questions on building a 1000 yard comp rifle, then ignore every recomendation and build an 11 lb 6 br???????/ :confused:;)

You got some great advise by some top shooters.

Build a gun to finish at 17 LBS....NOT 11 !!! You can shoot a LG in both LG and HG classes...AND BE COMPEDITIVE!!!

CALIBER, Dasher or 6 BRX Both proven winners and are relitivly cheap to shoot.

Action..... Duel port BAT..I like the model "M"s so I can also use longer cases like the 280 AI or the 6.5-284 if I want to. Switching tubes on a BAT takes about two min!! I like to get 20 MOA rings from BAT also.

Trigger....Jewell

Stock.... I like the Shehane ST-1000. It is purly a matter of chioce, but there are a ton of them on the firing line.

Scope......I love all of my Nightforce scopes, but would love to try a March if I ever have the cash.

This is an expensive sport to get in to, but if you pick top brand name components you can recoup most of your money if you decide to get out by selling the parts....except for the BBL of course.....they are a wear item...like tires on your car.

The things you didn't ask are just as important......like what rests and bags to buy...reloading stuff, gun cases, ect.... this will also be a considerable expence.

The best advice I can give is to buy the best and cry once....just like BAT's motto!!! I have gotten into many different endvors in my life, and most of them I tryed to get in CHEEP. By the time the smoke blows away you will almost always end up with the stuff that you should have started with...you just spent a bunch of extra cash upgrading to better and better quality of JUNK till you get there!!!

The upside...the biggest for me is the people.... the only experience I have is with 600/1000 yard BR, but the shooters are the BEST!!! What other "sport" is there where the compeditor sitting next to you, or standing behind you, will go out of their way to help you"? EVEN though you may very well beat them!! Like minded people getting together and doing what they love!!!

Just my .02,

Tod
I know about expenses, I've been shooting handicap trap competitively for far too long. I'm starting to get really bored with trap. I am also getting tired of all the ***holes in trap. I got kicked out of a club last year because of the way I called for a target. My voice is too low to use "pull". I have to have the "tt" sound. The only way I could get it out was saying "". Dropped the first 2 targets and ran the rest. There was a "kid" on my squad (must have been 16,17) and his parents complained to management saying I was being derogatory. Oh well, the club faced east anyways. The benchrest community seems like a really good bunch, that's something I strive for is to be around people I like.

I don't think a Bat M is needed to use a 280 imp. the port on a B is 3" and the case if you use 06 Lapua brass 2.494" and it will eject and load. The only time you would have a problem is a loaded round you would have to push the bolt stop and remove the round. I saw a a 300 ultra mag in a Rem. short action and it had a shell holder bolt face, so it no big deal but putting a Dasher in the large action is a waste. If you get a Bat made for Dasher the ejector is a Sako style. I don't think a duel port is a needed. The wood stock can b adjusted better than fiberglass and the PR&T low boy BR stock handles the torque better than the others,and the hammer head is also a good one. The jewell requires work to get them up to par with the Kelbly trigger….. jim

I would think an 11 pounder would be a little harder to shoot good. I would build a 17 so I could shoot both the light and heavy. I would not want to shoot all 3 classes with one gun. Matt

Tod -

Montana-1000 shoot a 11-lb class, as well as a 17-lb class, and unlimited weight HV-gun.
So if someone wants to shoot all 3 classes with one gun, an 11-lb gun is what you would build.

Donovan

I stand corrected. Is the 11 LB class a "stock" class or custom so guys can use their short range BR guns??

Tod it is a class with an 11 lb. limit just like our 17 lb. I think most of them build on a Panda with a short light barrel. Maybe TOM will get here and tell about it. I just think you would be disadvantaging yourself to build one and shoot against 17 lb and heavyguns. Matt

Matt if Tom gets on he may tell you about a guy out there in Montanaem about 3 or 4 years ago that was kicking butt with his 11 lb. rifle. can't remember his name.

Joe Salt

Joe read your PM. I believe he broke a 16 1/2 pound record but shot it with the 11 pound in the 11 pound agg. Williamsport would not honor the record because they didn't keep track of 11 pound guns since they didn't shoot that class. Matt

Back