Newbie from So. Utah - Rest Question

huskerbob

Newbie here. New to the Forum and new to competitive Benchrest shooting. I plan on doing some .22 rimfire benchrest shooting in competitions beginning at 25 yards and then moving up to the 50 yard class. I've watched some matches and noticed a variety of equipment in use. I won't even ask about rifles and scopes since I'm sure a thread like that could go on for months......if not years.

I would be curious to know however if there are one or two brands/models of front rests that you experienced shooters use? I certainly don't want to buy junk. I would prefer a quality rest that a recreational shooter/competitor could afford to purchase. I know from my life's experience that sometimes "saving money can be very expensive" so while I don't need the best front rest ever made, I do want a quality piece of equipment. In the 'beginners classes' front and rear rests are allowed but they cannot be connected and the gun cannot be 'tied down or anchored'.

Any input/recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!

Bob

St. George, UT.

PS: Thanks for letting me join your forum! Looking forward to learning a lot!

Last edited:
Bob: Many of us are very happy with the Randolph Machine front rest. Check out their Facebook page for details.

The SEB Neo is probably the most popular joy stick rest around.

Neither are inexpensive. Both can be had used if you are not in a big hurry, and that also means that if you buy one and later want to part with it you can get most of your money back.

You did not ask, but what top you use can be just as or more important than the rest it sits on. Know your discipline rules before spending money as not everything is legal everywhere. bob

Bob: Many of us are very happy with the Randolph Machine front rest. Check out their Facebook page for details.

The SEB Neo is probably the most popular joy stick rest around.

Neither are inexpensive. Both can be had used if you are not in a big hurry, and that also means that if you buy one and later want to part with it you can get most of your money back.

You did not ask, but what top you use can be just as or more important than the rest it sits on. Know your discipline rules before spending money as not everything is legal everywhere. bob

Bob: Well........that show's you just how big of a newbie I am!! I just assumed the top came with or was part of the rest!! (boy....do I have a lot to learn!). What type of 'top' do you prefer???

Bob: Tops often come with the rest, and often you have choices. What I like is not the issue. What is important, as I said earlier is to get a top that is legal in the game you want to shoot. As an example some require the rifle to rest on sand bags, some do not. You go out and spend that hard earned money on a non sand top only to show up and find you cannot use it is a bummer.

When in doubt or you are not sure buy a sand bag top with at least 1/2 inch of sand between the rifle and the base of the top.....that will be universally legal in all the games I know of.

Just for the record I have after market tops on my Randolph Machine. Sand bag for IR50/50 and Delrin for ARA/PSL. bob

Bob: Tops often come with the rest, and often you have choices. What I like is not the issue. What is important, as I said earlier is to get a top that is legal in the game you want to shoot. As an example some require the rifle to rest on sand bags, some do not. You go out and spend that hard earned money on a non sand top only to show up and find you cannot use it is a bummer.

When in doubt or you are not sure buy a sand bag top with at least 1/2 inch of sand between the rifle and the base of the top.....that will be universally legal in all the games I know of.

Just for the record I have after market tops on my Randolph Machine. Sand bag for IR50/50 and Delrin for ARA/PSL. bob

Thanks for taking time to help!!

Go to Killough Shooting Sports .com

KSS is the leader in all things 22RFBR and offer most anything you will need in this game no matter what you are looking for!

Newbie here. New to the Forum and new to competitive Benchrest shooting. I plan on doing some .22 rimfire benchrest shooting in competitions beginning at 25 yards and then moving up to the 50 yard class. I've watched some matches and noticed a variety of equipment in use. I won't even ask about rifles and scopes since I'm sure a thread like that could go on for months......if not years.

I would be curious to know however if there are one or two brands/models of front rests that you experienced shooters use? I certainly don't want to buy junk. I would prefer a quality rest that a recreational shooter/competitor could afford to purchase. I know from my life's experience that sometimes "saving money can be very expensive" so while I don't need the best front rest ever made, I do want a quality piece of equipment. In the 'beginners classes' front and rear rests are allowed but they cannot be connected and the gun cannot be 'tied down or anchored'.

Any input/recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!

Bob

St. George, UT.

PS: Thanks for letting me join your forum! Looking forward to learning a lot!

Hey Bob,

Up here in Sandy, I have used a Caldwell Rock, a Bald Eagle, a Sinclair Heavy Varmint, a Sinclair BR Competition and a PQP Lite One Piece. Without knowing what rifle you are using, and how serious you are about BR shooting, it is hard to make a recommendation. The Sinclair Heavy Varmint is an excellent rest. One step up is the Sinclair BR Competition, but it's 30 pound weight may be an issue.

I am interested in where you are doing your competition shooting.

Regards, Jim

Hey Bob,

Up here in Sandy, I have used a Caldwell Rock, a Bald Eagle, a Sinclair Heavy Varmint, a Sinclair BR Competition and a PQP Lite One Piece. Without knowing what rifle you are using, and how serious you are about BR shooting, it is hard to make a recommendation. The Sinclair Heavy Varmint is an excellent rest. One step up is the Sinclair BR Competition, but it's 30 pound weight may be an issue.

I am interested in where you are doing your competition shooting.

Regards, Jim

Actually, I'm not doing any competitive BR shooting yet. Just getting geared up for it. I'm a long time recreational shooter. mostly my small collection of vintage lever, pump and semi-auto .22's. Bought a CZ 455 Varmint for the BR stuff. still investigating the scope, rests and other needed gear.

Will be doing most of the competitive BR stuff at Red Cliffs Rifle and Pistol Range located between St. George and Hurricane. Also going to try to enter the Huntsman Games next year.

Don't plan on getting to deeply into it. Just want to meet some new folks and have some fun. Purely recreational.

Actually, I'm not doing any competitive BR shooting yet. Just getting geared up for it. I'm a long time recreational shooter. mostly my small collection of vintage lever, pump and semi-auto .22's. Bought a CZ 455 Varmint for the BR stuff. still investigating the scope, rests and other needed gear.

Will be doing most of the competitive BR stuff at Red Cliffs Rifle and Pistol Range located between St. George and Hurricane. Also going to try to enter the Huntsman Games next year.

Don't plan on getting to deeply into it. Just want to meet some new folks and have some fun. Purely recreational.

Hi Bob,

My first "serious" rimfire was a CZ 455 Varmint. For a "purely recreational" shooter I would suggest a Bald Eagle front rest and Protektor front and rear bags. Email me at: iowaboy@comcast.net if you want to discus further details.

Regards, Jim

learn your equipment

hello, know your equipment! a hart pedestal rest with a hvy varmint windage top and a hvy protector bag, will be all you need,to get started. Spend time behind the gun sending bullets downrange, watch and learn

huntsman

the only rules about rests at that match is the front and back aren't connected and the rifle must lift out of the front rest

I'm also new to this and this thread has been helpful. I'm considering the Bald Eagle BE1005 or BE1006 how important is the weight of the rest with a 10-14lb .22lr, the cost difference is negligible, it's 12lbs vs 21lbs without a bag on the rest.

I'm also new to this and this thread has been helpful. I'm considering the Bald Eagle BE1005 or BE1006 how important is the weight of the rest with a 10-14lb .22lr, the cost difference is negligible, it's 12lbs vs 21lbs without a bag on the rest.

Well, the usual opinion is "the heavier the better". But, for me, anything heavier than about 20 pounds including the bag is just too heavy to comfortably use.

Regards, Jim

Back