New Winchester 52D

Has anyone heard of any rifle builders putting a 52-D clone together? Thanks.

I've heard the H&R M12 and M5200's described as Winchester 52 clones. I have several H&R's and will examine them mode closely when I pick up my Winchester 52's from my FFL.

why

Has anyone heard of any rifle builders putting a 52-D clone together? Thanks.

would you want a clone when the real thing is available, and my guess is cheaper than any GOOD clone would cost. On top of that you will have the real McCoy. The 100K + 52's that were made were done in a time and by methods that will never be resurrected due to cost. Their existence is now locked in time and history and will only appreciate in value in the long run if cared for, especially if 100% original. Want a 52, get the real thing IMHO. Good luck with your quest. --Greg

The 52's were heat treated after machining and are seldom if ever straight and true. You are right I would not want a clone that copied these deficiencies as we have more modern and accurate means of machining. And what are you going to do for a trigger? Karl Kenyon is not making triggers any more, at least not here on earth. I'm not aware of anything made today that will fit a 52.

Look at the Remington 700 and its clones. The clones are generally superior and cost 2 to 3 times what a high volume 700 action sells for. And triggers are NOT an issue. bob

The 52's were heat treated after machining and are seldom if ever straight and true. You are right I would not want a clone that copied these deficiencies as we have more modern and accurate means of machining. And what are you going to do for a trigger? Karl Kenyon is not making triggers any more, at least not here on earth. I'm not aware of anything made today that will fit a 52.

Look at the Remington 700 and its clones. The clones are generally superior and cost 2 to 3 times what a high volume 700 action sells for. And triggers are NOT an issue. bob

Heat treating and the way actions are made have come along way since the way Winchester made the 52's. The Barnard actions, Bat Machine are some examples where they do some of the machining, then heat treat and then finish machine work is done. So I would say 52 actions could be made and made better than before. The hang up as you pointed out would be triggers but one place is looking at making a Kenyon copy. If so then that would be taken care of.

My question again to Bucksnort2 is, what would he consider a fair price for a modern copy?

The reason I ask is out of curiosity and I'm looking at reworking one to left hand for myself. Been done before so I'm gonna give it a try. Why? Because I want a left handed 52.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

52 Triggers

Frank:
There are several around that can rework a stock trigger just like Karl did, They are very smooth ans consistent. As for converting a 52 to LH, I',ve been shooting a standard 52D RH Action, Left-handed for over 25 years. I had to switch due to going blind in my Right Eye. My Wife shot it RH and I shot it LH.

Frank:
There are several around that can rework a stock trigger just like Karl did, They are very smooth ans consistent. As for converting a 52 to LH, I',ve been shooting a standard 52D RH Action, Left-handed for over 25 years. I had to switch due to going blind in my Right Eye. My Wife shot it RH and I shot it LH.

And shot purty damm good with it to.

Fred: If someone were to build a batch of 52 action clones where would that person go to obtain triggers today? Me thinks 52 triggers are almost unobtanium in sizeable quantities. bob

Build the Trigger as well.

It appears, that they would have their work cut out for them. Of course, if Frank were to build only one, then I believe he could find one.

Last edited:
It appears, that they would have their work cut out for them. Of course, if Frank were to build only one, then I believe he could find one.

I've got a extra trigger. So not a problem there. I also have a 52D receiver I picked up to use for the donor build to convert to left hand. I just need to get a bolt for it.

Later, Frank

Frank:

I've done the right handed rifle and shot if left handed thing for years. I'm just done doing it. I have a 52D and shoot it left handed and a 52C. With technology out there and what machines are capable of doing now days machining wise I myself am done doing the right hand rifle and restocking it and or just flat out shooting a right handed rifle.

Later, Frank

I've heard the H&R M12 and M5200's described as Winchester 52 clones. I have several H&R's and will examine them mode closely when I pick up my Winchester 52's from my FFL.

I have both a model 52 and an H&R model 12. The H&R is not a clone of the Winchester, it was designed to meet the same government spec as for a model 52, but the design is different and parts do not interchange.

For my money, the H&R is a beautifully built rifle and was a steal even though I paid the $275 CMP price a few months before they lowered it to $225.

I have both a model 52 and an H&R model 12. The H&R is not a clone of the Winchester, it was designed to meet the same government spec as for a model 52, but the design is different and parts do not interchange.

For my money, the H&R is a beautifully built rifle and was a steal even though I paid the $275 CMP price a few months before they lowered it to $225.

A gunsmith used to specialize in tuning the M12. Anyone remember who that guy was?

I have a couple of M12's and its civilian brother, the M5200. They are very nice guns.

Untitled-13.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

Finally picked up my rifles and took some pics.

The Winchester 52D is in great shape...very good metal and wood. Bore is amazing.

96e7387e-0ec2-4012-8cca-3e8fe4b71fcc_zps5f638aff.jpg

5f4615c1-9bee-413d-be18-fbc04bcdb6b4_zps2584f7f3.jpg

327d6e80-c9db-4a44-9ae8-2fe594396910_zpsc9f6fa7f.jpg

c131a3e8-2e64-4883-90b9-a3ff715db133_zps58e7c332.jpg

4883969c-2c2b-4773-a9ab-bf4eeb64b500_zps6878cfbd.jpg

Back