New Winchester 52D

Calfed

I thought I had satisfied my itch for .22 target rifles for a bit, but like a true addict, I made the mistake of looking at the auctions. It is kinda like an alcoholic wandering into a bar just to see "what's going on". Big mistake.

I fell off the wagon and ended up winning a Winchester 52D.

Here are the auction pics:

Win52D_zps9b54258a.jpg

Win52Da_zps9b535833.jpg

The description advised that it comes with Redfield Olympic sights and has "U.S." electro-penciled on the left side of the receiver, above the serial number, which is in the 109xxx range.

This sounds like it might be a CMP rifle.

52. D

C M P sold these rifles for about 375 dollars to gun club members that were affiliated with C M P

A user on another forum sent me a link to a CMP sales page from the last time the CMP was selling these. The price at that point (maybe a few years ago) was $550 without sights. I got this for $700, including the sights.

The 52D I received from CMP was not worth the $425 I paid for it.

What were the issues with it, Fred?

I thought I had satisfied my itch for .22 target rifles for a bit, but like a true addict, I made the mistake of looking at the auctions. It is kinda like an alcoholic wandering into a bar just to see "what's going on". Big mistake.

I fell off the wagon and ended up winning a Winchester 52D.

Here are the auction pics:

Win52D_zps9b54258a.jpg

Win52Da_zps9b535833.jpg

The description advised that it comes with Redfield Olympic sights and has "U.S." electro-penciled on the left side of the receiver, above the serial number, which is in the 109xxx range.

This sounds like it might be a CMP rifle.

No doubt , it IS a CMP gun

Pitting

The entire bottom of the action was rusted and pitted. Bolt was mismatched and trigger was gummed up to the point it would not reset on it's own. Stock looked like it was drug behind a truck.

52. D

You are in good shape on the price, when they first started selling cmp52's they were 375 and we're very good as time went on the price went up and the quality went down. The last we bought were barreled actions with a bolt for 375. In western. N. C. A 52 D WILL BRING $1000 or more if it is in good shape.

I suppose it kinda depends on what you want; what you want to do with the rifle. I have two 52's, a pre-A and a D. I paid $55 for the pre-A in 1958, and $150 for the D in early 1962. I only have one set of sights, Redfield International Match, generally considered a step up from the Olympic. Just went and looked, the box for the receiver sight says "no base" and the price was $29.80 -- this from around 1960 or so, when I first put them on the pre-A to replace the Lyman sights.

In other words, money-wise, all were talking about is inflation. A lot of inflation.

My 52D has a serial number of 114,xxx, so the trigger is the C Micro Motion, not the later D. Your will be the same. While you cannot adjust it to a light pull, the trigger piece can have it's pivot hole re-drilled, and you can get a benchrest-level pull -- maybe 3 to 5 ounces? BTW, mine was done by a smith who had just done this for one of the the Browning re-creations. He didn't need a carbide drill for the Browning, but we did have to get carbide for the "real" Winchester.

Bottom metal in mine is aluminum, so no rust. Maybe the CMPs are different?

The general feeling was that the barrels on the D's weren't as good. More precisely, you weren't as apt to get a really good one as with earlier models. My pre-A has a Titherington barrel, and it always outshot the D. But a new barrel is easy -- I got a Shilen ratchet for the D. (Not particularly a recommendation, they were readily available when I wanted a new one.) I glued the action into an old-style McMillian BR stock I had on hand, purchased without any inletting.

After fitting the barrel, a tuner, and testing with three different lots of ammunition, the entire first brick (Ely Black Box Match) shot nothing worse than a 10. Of course, that was all indoors, on the easier IBS target.

Except for the trigger modification, going only this far will not make the rifle less valuable as a collectible -- it could always be put back in the original stock & the original barrel reinstalled. I suppose if you did the trigger work, you would need another Micro-motion trigger to be stock again -- or you could perhaps get by with the extra hole in the housing & trigger piece? I dunno.

In any case, I went further, since back in the 1960s we'd machined a slot in the bottom of the receiver to act as a recoil lug. With that, it wasn't stock anyway. If you're going for accuracy, you will need to check that the threads on the receiver ring are true -- at least true to the front of the action. Best is true to the raceway, but true to the receiver ring face is usually good enough. Mine was, many were not. Remachining that would take the rifle out of the collectible class. And more carbide tooling, I'm afraid...

You also need to check that the locking lugs are both bearing, more or less evenly. If not, again more machining, and then the boltface needs checking. Perhaps not worth it.

Stocks are easy as well. Just as an example, Don Sith if you want wood, a McMillan for fiberglass, or make your own...

In all likelihood, this isn't going to be a rifle capable competing at a National level. Too much luck that the action didn't warp in heat treating, or too much work to straighten it all out. In my case, the threads were straight, so the machining was only to fit a barrel, and the cost beyond what was laying around was only $250 for the barrel. If I were going to set out to build a RF match rifle, I wouldn't start with a any of the 52s. Having said that, the odds are good that a rifle properly built on a 52D is fully capable of winning most club-level matches, after paying attention to the things one has to regardless of the build -- ammunition & tuning.

Or just enjoy it for what is already is.

Good luck with it,

Charles

You are in good shape on the price, when they first started selling cmp52's they were 375 and we're very good as time went on the price went up and the quality went down. The last we bought were barreled actions with a bolt for 375. In western. N. C. A 52 D WILL BRING $1000 or more if it is in good shape.

Thanks, Jerry

This apparently is not the time to be selling guns. A few weeks ago I glommed a Winchester 52B with a Canjar trigger and a Vaver rear sight for $525 and a Remington 513T with a Fecker scope for $450.

Last edited:
I suppose it kinda depends on what you want; what you want to do with the rifle. I have two 52's, a pre-A and a D. I paid $55 for the pre-A in 1958, and $150 for the D in early 1962. I only have one set of sights, Redfield International Match, generally considered a step up from the Olympic. Just went and looked, the box for the receiver sight says "no base" and the price was $29.80 -- this from around 1960 or so, when I first put them on the pre-A to replace the Lyman sights.

In other words, money-wise, all were talking about is inflation. A lot of inflation.

My 52D has a serial number of 114,xxx, so the trigger is the C Micro Motion, not the later D. Your will be the same. While you cannot adjust it to a light pull, the trigger piece can have it's pivot hole re-drilled, and you can get a benchrest-level pull -- maybe 3 to 5 ounces? BTW, mine was done by a smith who had just done this for one of the the Browning re-creations. He didn't need a carbide drill for the Browning, but we did have to get carbide for the "real" Winchester.

Bottom metal in mine is aluminum, so no rust. Maybe the CMPs are different?

The general feeling was that the barrels on the D's weren't as good. More precisely, you weren't as apt to get a really good one as with earlier models. My pre-A has a Titherington barrel, and it always outshot the D. But a new barrel is easy -- I got a Shilen ratchet for the D. (Not particularly a recommendation, they were readily available when I wanted a new one.) I glued the action into an old-style McMillian BR stock I had on hand, purchased without any inletting.

After fitting the barrel, a tuner, and testing with three different lots of ammunition, the entire first brick (Ely Black Box Match) shot nothing worse than a 10. Of course, that was all indoors, on the easier IBS target.

Except for the trigger modification, going only this far will not make the rifle less valuable as a collectible -- it could always be put back in the original stock & the original barrel reinstalled. I suppose if you did the trigger work, you would need another Micro-motion trigger to be stock again -- or you could perhaps get by with the extra hole in the housing & trigger piece? I dunno.

In any case, I went further, since back in the 1960s we'd machined a slot in the bottom of the receiver to act as a recoil lug. With that, it wasn't stock anyway. If you're going for accuracy, you will need to check that the threads on the receiver ring are true -- at least true to the front of the action. Best is true to the raceway, but true to the receiver ring face is usually good enough. Mine was, many were not. Remachining that would take the rifle out of the collectible class. And more carbide tooling, I'm afraid...

You also need to check that the locking lugs are both bearing, more or less evenly. If not, again more machining, and then the boltface needs checking. Perhaps not worth it.

Stocks are easy as well. Just as an example, Don Sith if you want wood, a McMillan for fiberglass, or make your own...

In all likelihood, this isn't going to be a rifle capable competing at a National level. Too much luck that the action didn't warp in heat treating, or too much work to straighten it all out. In my case, the threads were straight, so the machining was only to fit a barrel, and the cost beyond what was laying around was only $250 for the barrel. If I were going to set out to build a RF match rifle, I wouldn't start with a any of the 52s. Having said that, the odds are good that a rifle properly built on a 52D is fully capable of winning most club-level matches, after paying attention to the things one has to regardless of the build -- ammunition & tuning.

Or just enjoy it for what is already is.

Good luck with it,

Charles

Thanks you for all the great insights, Charles. To be honest, I haven't thought too much about how far I want to take this. I bought it at an on-line auction and haven't seen it yet in person. When it arrives, I'll post better pictures and a description.

eventually

After three barrels, a reworked trigger,and new stock, it started to come around. After reworking bolt, and truing the action, I final got the ignition right. Use it strictly for iron sight matches.
Only took me five years.

CMP 52D rifles

probably were military or ROTC or High School shooting team rifles. These guns went through years of use by scores of different shooters, were put in and pulled out of rack storage innumerable times, maybe well taken care of sometimes not and may or may not have a matching bolt. IMO they are not worth the price of a civilian unit that has been well cared for. Its not easy to get a fix on a military unit until its in your hands and to pay the same price as a very good or mint civilian 52D is not wise. Some collect military marked rifles and more power to them. I won't buy one because of the aforementioned concerns. JMO. --Greg

Nothing Wrong With a CMP 52D !

The only difference is a US has a rear swivel,and some had ROTC experiences , The D`s that came to the CMP in 2010-2011 had been in the care of the USAF and 90% of them had seen very little use if any, these were as nice as you could find ! The Last group came from Quantico ,Va armory for CIA,USMC ,and Officers school.these also was nice 52D`s ,the ROTC returns to the CMP where abused and needed some TLC but some were OK , I have many C`s D`s & E`s from the CMP restored to OEM as well or better when they left the Winchester plant! Steve Emmert may know the exact % ,but 75-80% of all C`s & D`s have a Military pedigree!

The only difference is a US has a rear swivel,and some had ROTC experiences , The D`s that came to the CMP in 2010-2011 had been in the care of the USAF and 90% of them had seen very little use if any, these were as nice as you could find ! The Last group came from Quantico ,Va armory for CIA,USMC ,and Officers school.these also was nice 52D`s ,the ROTC returns to the CMP where abused and needed some TLC but some were OK , I have many C`s D`s & E`s from the CMP restored to OEM as well or better when they left the Winchester plant! Steve Emmert may know the exact % ,but 75-80% of all C`s & D`s have a Military pedigree!

Thanks, SW

The pics of my new 52D look good, but I'll post better when it arrives.

There were some real deals at the CMP South store a few years ago. I passed on the 52s they had then. I did pick up a 40X, 5 Anschutzs, Kimber 82G and a H&R 12. Probably my best buy was the unfired 1808 Anschutz for $600. The unfired H&R 12 at $225 was a good deal also. They wounds I sustained from the beating my wife gave me when I came home with 8 rifles have pretty much healed.

My Winchester 52D arrived at my FFL and I got a chance to look it over. The rifle looks barely used. Metal and bluing is almost pristine and although the stock has a few dings and dents, it is also in extremely good shape.

52-D Clones?

Has anyone heard of any rifle builders putting a 52-D clone together? Thanks.

Back