New tweezers for tiny slivers, work fantastic

PEI Rob

Mitutoyo calipers! Even my crappy backup calipers work well. OK, not new but I just figured it out. Found this out trying to remove a tiny steel splinter, annoying little buggers. I seem to get these only when using the lathe or mill so I posted it here, that and I almost never read "off-topic" or whatever its called on this site. That and crazy glue for the cuts keep the hands happy. Just keep the glue on top of your skin to make a barrier, do not get it in the cut. Gel type works well, the good penetrating stuff is not so good for cuts because your body rejects it like an infection.

0-1" mic is used for metal slivers by a lot of folks.
Ain't it amazing how much hurt can come from such a tiny sliver?

New tweezers for tiny slivers

I was up at Grizzly in Springfield, MO last week and at the checkout counter they had some combination tweezers and magnifying glass fastened together. I tried them out and it works a lot better than trying to hold a jewelers loupe by scrunching up your eye and digging with an Exacto blade. Have not had to work on the real thing yet, but it sure looks right.

Rob,
Super glue was originally formulated to be used in place of stitches in surgery. I had a big flap of skin torn on the side of my nose once and the Doc used super glue to stick it down. Said he didn't want to use stitches on skin that thin or something like that. Guess what.....no scar.

Ditto's on the Super Glue. Cyanoacrylate adhesives were developed by the medical industry specifically to go inside lacerations. (called 2-octyl) Cyanoacrylates bond in the moist environment of a flesh wound. Just don't try to swab the stuff around with cotton as it'll heat and burn.

Interestingly enough super glues have low shear strength which means that you can glue stuff down on a mill deck and later pop it off sideways with a fairly light blow. It's worth experimenting with anyway...sacrificial jointing.

al

I use superglue all the time for colsing small cuts. It seems if you can get it glued fast, it heals about twice as fast.

I also use superglue all the time for gluing carbide to the magnetic chuck on the surface grinder. As long as you arent agressive you can grind even small pieces. A light tap with any small mallet like object pops it right loose and you can clean the residue off with acetone.

Here's something to try for those little metal slivers: Take a couple-inch square piece of maroon Scotchbrite to the sink, soap up your finger or whatever, and rub the scotchbrite over ths sliver. Rub at lease one pass in each direction, and the pad will snag one of the barbs on the sliver and pull it out.

-Dave-

Back