New trigger

drknite

If I was going to replace my current jewell trigger, what would be the choice between the bix&Andy or the Flavio. The price for both is relatively equal. To those who have tried both which do you prefer and why. Just looking for some information before I spring for that kind of money.

Can't speak to the Flavio, but I did try a Bix'nAndy. I used it to replace a Shilen I had. Everything else is Jewell.

The Bix'nAndy is definitely better than the Shilen, and better than the Jewell. It can be set lower than the others by a noticeable amount. This is on an absolute scale. On a relative scale, I'm not sure the price justifies the improvement over a Jewell. It probably does over a Shilen. It is more enjoyable to shoot, but I really can't say it will improve scores; just makes it more fun.

I intended to try a Flavio, because legend has it that it is the very best. The problem is, you can't find one. Killough got 4 in a few months ago, and they disappeared in 1 or 2 days. The other thing was cost. I'm not sure your statement about cost is correct. When I was buying at that time, Bix'nAndy took a significant reduction (already a little cheaper) and if I remember correctly, the Flavio, surprisingly for a trigger, didn't actually include a trigger. This was an add on that was not inexpensive in it's own right.

One note is that the Bix'nAndy rewuired a little guard surgery on the XIII action I was using. It wouldn't drop in to the existing slot. The Flavio may have the same issue with an adjustable trigger. No big deal, but if you buy one be aware it may take a little grinding.

Several years ago I replaced all of my Jewell with B & A triggers. I have since replaced two of those with Flavio triggers. Why? Because I wanted to try them, a good friend spoke highly of them so much so he became the importer.

So yes I have experience with them. As it stands right now I would have a difficult time deciding between buying another B & A or a Flavio. They both are excellent, none have needed any repair, maintenance (beyond a normal flush out with lighter fluid once in a while) or adjustments since installation. My triggers are set at or just below 2 ounces let off and are on bench rifles.

I'd advise getting whichever one is available for purchase when you need it. Flipping a coin might be the best way to decide between the two. bob

ps just read the post above mine. My triggers came with a trigger blade for each and ready to drop into the hanger. The B & A triggers are a bit wider at the hanger than the original Jewell, so a few minutes work might be required to insure nothing is touching/rubbing but that should not be a big deal. Flavio sends hanger pins with each trigger and you are urged to use these precision fit pins.

Last edited:
Elswhere on the centerfire forums you can find a thread regarding a test of one feature between these two triggers, the upward force on the cocking piece . The Flavio requires 53 oz. the B&A requires 11 oz. some might find that interesting.

Yes sir. I read a review by Tony Harper at least I think it was him, that had a lot of good things to say about the Flavio trigger. As hard as the bix&andy is to find the Flavio is even harder to find.

Yes sir. I read a review by Tony Harper at least I think it was him, that had a lot of good things to say about the Flavio trigger. As hard as the bix&andy is to find the Flavio is even harder to find.

B&A can be found @ bullet central, they advertise here, talk to Chris Harris.

I intended to try a Flavio, because legend has it that it is the very best. The problem is, you can't find one. Killough got 4 in a few months ago, and they disappeared in 1 or 2 days. The other thing was cost. I'm not sure your statement about cost is correct. When I was buying at that time, Bix'nAndy took a significant reduction (already a little cheaper) and if I remember correctly, the Flavio, surprisingly for a trigger, didn't actually include a trigger. This was an add on that was not inexpensive in it's own right.

I think you are mixing the FF and B&A ,its Bix&Andy 2 stage that comes without the trigger blade that is sold separately.

https://bulletcentral.com/product/bixn-andy-two-stage-competition-trigger/
https://bulletcentral.com/product/anschutz-sensive-trigger-shoe-black-blue-or-green/

Price for the single stage model are about the same for FF and B&A ,2stage B&A with fancy trigger shoe costs some 140$ more.

Reason Flavio is hard to find is that an Italian high-end custom firearms manufacturer Victrix Armaments now uses Flavio triggers in their builds and are using up most of the triggers that come out of Flavios hands ,all triggers are still made by Flavio himself and from what he told me every single one is proof fired by him.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/03/victrix-rifles-with-advanced-five-axis-cnc-technology/
Trigger might have Victrix logo lasered on but its unmistakably Flavios trigger.

victrix1604new.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go with the bix&andy. Tried one at the last shoot I attended. Really smooth with very light trigger. Arrived yesterday and fit perfectly in turbo. Just have to wait for stock to get back from custom paint.

One note is that the Bix'nAndy rewuired a little guard surgery on the XIII action I was using. It wouldn't drop in to the existing slot. The Flavio may have the same issue with an adjustable trigger. No big deal, but if you buy one be aware it may take a little grinding.

I am installing a new B&A trigger on a new Bat 3L and am running into a similar issue. The trigger is right up against one side of the trigger guard. Any suggestions on a fix, if any?

thanks

I am installing a new B&A trigger on a new Bat 3L and am running into a similar issue. The trigger is right up against one side of the trigger guard. Any suggestions on a fix, if any?

thanks

A small milling machine is what I used for the task. However, you can probably get by using a Dremel tool for the majority of the grinding, then finish up with a small hand file to obtain a nice clean finished appearance. The aluminum cuts relatively easy.

I have a 2 oz Jewell in all my BR rifles and I am very happy with them... Why would anyone want to go lighter than 2 oz. ?? I cannot see any benefit in spending all that money for a new trigger. Mine works fine and I can spend the money on ammunition....

JMHO

Dave

2 oz

I have a 2 oz Jewell in all my BR rifles and I am very happy with them... Why would anyone want to go lighter than 2 oz. ?? I cannot see any benefit in spending all that money for a new trigger. Mine works fine and I can spend the money on ammunition....

JMHO

Dave

Dave,
I don't think lighter than 2 oz is the question the reliability of a Jewel is?!
None that I am familiar with including the ones I've had brake for one reason or another
normally in the middle of a match.
Then the big challenge, unless you have spares, is getting it fixed without it taking a minimum
of 3 months.
Pete

Pete..

Thanks for your answer.... But I think Jewell's reliability has been pretty well established over the years... I have been using Jewell's for as long as I can remember and I have had zero problems with mine.. I can't recall being at a match where a Jewell broke.. That being said, what is to keep a B&A or a Flavio from breaking during a match..?? And I think that you could probably get a Jewell fixed quicker than a B&A or Flavio.. Push come to shove, you could buy another Jewell and get overnight delivery from several places on the internet..

Not trying to get into a pissin contest, JMHO

Dave

Dave: When a trigger breaks 6 minutes into a 20 minute card unless you have a spare rifle or someone hands you their rifle you are finished. Every bull not shot counts as a zero. If it is the first card of a six card match that is a bunch of zero's on your record.

I have had Jewell triggers fail under the above circumstances. The older, made in USA triggers are indeed quite good. The newer ones made off shore not so much in my opinion.

I carry a brand new never out of the package trigger just in case. I'll be more than happy to hand it to you should yours break during a match.

I have yet to have a B&A or a FF fail. To me that is worth the price of admission. bob

Dave

Pete..

Thanks for your answer.... But I think Jewell's reliability has been pretty well established over the years... I have been using Jewell's for as long as I can remember and I have had zero problems with mine.. I can't recall being at a match where a Jewell broke.. That being said, what is to keep a B&A or a Flavio from breaking during a match..?? And I think that you could probably get a Jewell fixed quicker than a B&A or Flavio.. Push come to shove, you could buy another Jewell and get overnight delivery from several places on the internet..

Not trying to get into a pissin contest, JMHO

Dave

Of course if you are happy with your jewell triggers then there is nothing anyone can say to make you change that but I will say this ust for the information, the B&A triggers are considerably better than a jewell, once you get one on your rifle it is obvious that it is smoother and much more consistant. If you are happy with 2 ounces then that is great, but I like mine a little bit lighter than that, I have had many jewells that I couldn't get down to 2 ounces and make them hold through the year, it always seemed that when it got cold my trigger would need an adjustment to make it reset without fail, this is gone with a B&A you can actually set it lighter than you like and it will hold without fail. All this I am saying is just for information and not trying to make you change your mind. I was skeptical as well until I installed one on my rifle then I never looked back and have since upgraded all my turbos to B&A triggers. I haven't used a FF trigger but when I talked to a couple of the top shooters that had changed to them they told me that the improvement of the FF over the B&A was comparable to the improvement of the B&A over the Jewell.Just FYI.
MC

I have always wondered about what, if any, difference between 1 or 2 ounces....damned if
I can tell.
Jewells have changed over the years and one only has to detail/tune one or two to see exactly what that means. At the end of the day they rely on wound springs with 90deg. bends on the terminal ends, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize that represents potential issues.
The real issue is what happens between when you pull the trigger and that bar drops and striker is released, hopefully cleanly. Testing was done that showed the B&A sear bar released on the order of 70% more consistantly.......When I read that, I bought my first one

Testing was done that showed the B&A sear bar released on the order of 70% more consistantly.

It's interesting to note that 2/3 of the top 20 finishers in the LV and HV at the recent SS were using Jewel triggers.

It's interesting to note that 2/3 of the top 20 finishers in the LV and HV at the recent SS were using Jewel triggers.

Considering how widespread and cheap they are that is only slowly going to change.

B&A is taking quite a lot of spots in top 20 , FF supply is much more limited and its also new trigger on the market so its going to take some time.

Wow that's pretty interesting, I had no idea they were shooting rimfires this year.

In the Triple Crown of Rimfire there was only 2 jewells in the top 10.Judging rimfire, where the ignition is probably more instrumental to accuracy than it is in centerfire, and its move to B&A and FF triggers you can probably figure they are a coming thing to centerfire as well, it will just be a little slower move.
MC

Back