New to IR 50/50

K

katokoch

Hello all. I'm looking for a little advice as I start shooting IR 50/50 matches this summer (I'll be at the Gopher Campfire range in Minnesota if any of you shoot there).

I'm not looking to do serious IR 50/50 competition, but at the same time I won't drive to a match to waste my time.

The rifle I've got is a re-barreled Marlin 980S with a Rifle Basix trigger set at around 2 lbs. The barrel is a Green Mountain 20" fluted .920 with a match chamber (converted a 10/22 aftermarket barrel to fit the Marlin reciever). Scope is a Mueller APV (14x max with AO) sitting in Burris Signature rings on cheap Weaver bases. The stock is my custom design, and is dual-pillar bedded and glassbedded. I originally made the stock to be used with a magazine, but I am thinking I'll convert it to single shot to stiffen it up some.
I've done limited shooting with it, but after 30 rounds through the barrel it shot a 5-round group at 25 yards that was a single ragged hole. 25 yards is half the distance of IR competition, but was alright for sighting in the rifle and doing a little shooting. I can put up a photo if you want.

The rifle is not a dedicated BR rifle because I will be hunting with the same barreled action, just with a different stock bolted on.

The ammunition I'll use in matches will be Wolf Match sorted for rim thickness. I suppose Eley or Lapua don't make decent consistent ammunition around the same price...

I don't have any rests yet, however I'd put my limit at $50 which is one thing I'd like some advice with.

Basically I'm looking for advice in what to do during matches... reading the wind, which inexpensive rests are better than others, any evaluations on my setup so far. I can understand how some shooters keep secrets to themselves but I would just appreciate some advice for a young novice to BR shooting. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
katokoch,
The only advise I could give you is to do exactly what you are doing. Take what you got to shoot and go to a match.

Your question for specific advise is a little wide at this point. While you're at the Gopher Campfire range, ask questions, watch what others are doing and using for equipment, and then you'll have some specific points that you can bring up.

Most here will give freely of their knowledge.

Best,
Michael

Will a tuner make much of a difference with a free floated 20" .920 barrel or is experimentation the only way to find out?

katokoch,

I to am planning on doing my first IR 50/50 match at Gopher Campfire this summer. I talked to a couple of people up there and they seem very friendly and layed back (my kind of people). Their main goal seems to be having fun. I plan on shooting the 10.5 and 13.5 classes as the only scope I have worth bringing is a Weaver T-24 and rules for sporter class state 6.5 power as max.. I may be a little heavy for sporter as well. The guys said I might be able to shoot the sporter class if I could find a scope adjustable to 6.5 power and not to worry about the weight as the only drawback will be not getting a hat pin should I win the class (like THAT'S going to happen). They said don't worry about flags this first time out either as there will be plenty of them to watch as most have 2 or 3 of their own. They charge $8 per target or all 3 for $20 (coffee and doughnut money optional).

I assume from your username that you are from Mankato. I live in North Mankato myself so if your interested in sharing the experience let me know. I have a front rest and bag that work pretty good (but will be nothing compared to the ones we'll see at the match) and your welcome to use them if we are not shooting at the same time (chances are we will be though). My rifle is not due to arrive until the first week in May so I will miss the April 26th match. It might be tight making the May 17th match also as I will need to put in some target time on the new rifle so as not to make a total fool out of myself.

PM or e-mail me if your interested.

RandyG
geertsema@charter.net

Will a tuner make much of a difference with a free floated 20" .920 barrel or is experimentation the only way to find out?

My two cents is to take the money you would put into a tuner and add it to the $50 you've budgeted for front rest and rear bag. These items are critical for your bench setup. The saying, "You get what you pay for." definitely applies here.

If possible, see if you can borrow a friends rest and bag for the first match and see what the other's are using at the match -- get some opinions about what works for others.

This is probably the hardest part of getting into benchrest competition. You have to start somewhere, but if you become dedicated to the sport, you will soon be replacing earlier purchases for more expensive, but better performing equipment.

Best,
Michael

randyG and katokoch,
Sounds like you two could both benefit by sharing a bench. More than likely, there will be more than one relay for each class. What that means is that because Gopher Campfire has 6 benches, and will almost certainly have more than 6 shooters, is that after the first 6 shooters finish shooting a class they will remove their gear from the bench and the next 6 will set up and shoot their match. If the two of you shared a bench you could use each other's gun and rest. Each on different relays.
I'll be at the Gopher match and you can PM me or e-mail me if I can be of any help or answer any questions you might have before the match. In the mean time I suggest you get together and see if you might want to share each other's gun and gear.
See you there.

Do you have any suggestions for front and rear rests?

Don't spend ANY money until you have been to a match or two. Look things over, ask questions, then start spending the dollars. Most of the guys will let you try their gear.

Ken

I've got the front and rear rests and have shot a .14" 5-shot group with the rifle... most groups however are around 1/4" and 1/5" if I'm doing well. How is this compared to competition I'll see?

I realize now that I really need to stop shooting for groups and start shootign to learn the wind and drop bullets into bulls... can anyone do me a favor and pull up one of the wind reading cards that shows where to hold for a particular wind direction?

Thanks.

Practice

Every barrel will shoot differently in the wind, so you need to do some practice in the wind. Keep your own notes, as to where the bullet impacts with different wind conditions. That's the only true way to find out what your rifle/ammo combo will do in the wind.

katokoch,

The guys said I might be able to shoot the sporter class if I could find a scope adjustable to 6.5 power and not to worry about the weight as the only drawback will be not getting a hat pin should I win the class (like THAT'S going to happen). RandyG

If you're overweight, the scope power doesn't matter much...

Go shoot and have fun!

Me too new to this & 1 bit of advice...

Folks in this game are frequently getting new rifles, rests etc. Like most of us, as they want something new, they may sell off what is old to them, both as a way of financing the new they want, and simply to cut down on inventory. Go to the matches, have fun, listen, watch and learn. Let folks know what you are looking for, my guess is someone will have one or two and be happy to sell it to you. One last thought. I too thought I would get one Sporter weight rifle which would do double duty. Nahhhhh. See my earlier post on Pinnacle Mountain, borrowed guns for that shoot, saw an ad on the board at the range for a BR rifle and went and bought it. On the slippery slope and hooked. Best of luck.

If you're overweight, the scope power doesn't matter much...

Go shoot and have fun!

Understood. I have a sporter coming that might be an ounce or so heavy depending on the scope I finally end up with. For now it will wear a T24 Weaver and I would feel a little foolish coming to the "sporter" line with a 24x scope. If the other shooters are cool with it I might do it for a little trigger time before the 10.5 and 13.5 classes, which I'll be legal (but out gunned) shooting. It should be a lot of fun and that's all I'm really looking to get out of it.

The Wind . . .

Here is a graphic I make up a couple of years ago for the IR-50/50 target. It might help you get an idea of how the wind will drift your bullet.

But: PRACTICE is the way to successful wind doping.

IR50-50WindDrift.jpg

I never thought that wind could push a bullet up or down (in addition to affecting horizontal POI) until I was shooting with gusting wind out of 9:00 last week... makes it interesting!

Thanks for the graphic Joe. I appreciate it.

Back