new to forum with a 1000 dollar budget

42769vette

ok this is my first post so bear with me. im wanting a 600-1000 yard gun. ive narrowed my caliber chose to 6mm bbr-260 rem-and 6.5x284. im leaning toward the 6.5x284.

my question is my budget for the rifle is around 1000 dollars. i know for that im not getting the best but i think 1000 should get me a decent rifle. my question is would you folks try and build up a rem/savage action or would you just buy a savage 12f? can you build a better rifle than the savage for the money?

scope is seperate and doesn't fall in the 1000 dollar budget

thanks

also i already have a 300wby mark v. would i be better to throw some money into that gun and use it. im not sure if my sholder can take it

Last edited by a moderator:
if you look hard and do your homework you could build a semi custom rifle with a savage or rem 700 action, shilen barrel and a used stock. May even have a couple hundred left over but probably not. You can do it but it will take a little time! Ive done it several times. Lee

do you think i would get more gun for the money building one than jsut buying the savage

i know of a smith that will sell you a new rem 700 trued barreled action with you choice of caliber for 850 bucks. The trigger will be a rem 700 worked down ( not the greatest but not bad either) for 850 bucks. you will still need a stock. You can find used HS precision for 200 bucks. If your interested send me a pm and i will hook you up. Nothing fancy here but it will shoot!! Lee

rifle

get a trued rem 700 and have a good smith chamber it in a 300wsm ,BARREL- KRIEGER OR BROUGHTON, BARTLIEN 1-10 OR 1-11 TWIST AND IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL !!!!!TRUST ME.

42769vette,

I would get a Savage target action F class in 6BR. The 6BR is the top round at 600 yds. You will have a good stock, action , and barrel. The 6BR barrel will last 3 times as long as a 6.5 284.

Mark Schronce

42769vette,

I would get a Savage target action F class in 6BR. The 6BR is the top round at 600 yds. You will have a good stock, action , and barrel. The 6BR barrel will last 3 times as long as a 6.5 284.

Mark Schronce

I'll second this choice.

You'll get through your reloading learning curve using a factory barrel and lose nothing.

Wise use of funds IMO.

al

This is what I did with a first time build.

I could have saved another $150 off of what I spent by doing 2 things differently and still had the same rifle. One was to have Kevin buy the action instead of paying full price and having Brux Barrels taper the barrel blank instead of having Kevin do it.

I seem to be able to hit 1/8" dots with it at 200 & 1/16" dots at 100 yds. when I read the wind correctly when shooting for score. Next time I'll have wind flags to watch. I also need to practice, practice & practice. The rifle seems capable of extreme accuracy.

It was built by Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gun Stocks. http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

I had Brux Barrels send a 6mm barrel blank directly to Kevin. At the same time I sent my Coplan hard rifle case with a Savage Target action with the left load port and right eject bolt with the target accu-trigger.

I had Kevin turn the contour, bore the chamber for .271 no neck turn 6mm Norma BR. so I can touch the lands with 107 gr. Berger & smaller to maybe 80 gr(?). He also threaded it and cut it to 26" and crown the end. I asked him not to blueprint the action to save a few nickels. Then he assembled everything into one of his Prairie Dog Special/Tactical stocks that he put a third pillar and glass bedded it for me. I asked him not to finish and paint the stock so I could save some more nickels. (There was very little filling and sanding). I had him add the rail under the forearm so the bipod could be adjustable. I also had the adjustable cheek piece added along with a flush mounted swivel stud added under the butt stock so it would slide on the rear bag better.

When I talked to him before he sent it he told me that he shot 7 rounds using Varget and Berger 105 gr. Match VLDs at 100 yards. First two shots to get on the bullseye and then 5 shots for group size. This was never fired Lapua brass. He said I have a "HUMMER". The group measured .084". WOW!!

To say the very least I am very excited. :):):)

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

PS: If I had gotten the action from him I would have saved more nickels too.
Total $1443.00 including shipping.

Attachments

• popgun.jpg
    popgun.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 421
This is what I did with a first time build.

I could have saved another $150 off of what I spent by doing 2 things differently and still had the same rifle. One was to have Kevin buy the action instead of paying full price and having Brux Barrels taper the barrel blank instead of having Kevin do it.

I seem to be able to hit 1/8" dots with it at 200 & 1/16" dots at 100 yds. when I read the wind correctly when shooting for score. Next time I'll have wind flags to watch. I also need to practice, practice & practice. The rifle seems capable of extreme accuracy.

It was built by Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gun Stocks. http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

I had Brux Barrels send a 6mm barrel blank directly to Kevin. At the same time I sent my Coplan hard rifle case with a Savage Target action with the left load port and right eject bolt with the target accu-trigger.

I had Kevin turn the contour, bore the chamber for .271 no neck turn 6mm Norma BR. so I can touch the lands with 107 gr. Berger & smaller to maybe 80 gr(?). He also threaded it and cut it to 26" and crown the end. I asked him not to blueprint the action to save a few nickels. Then he assembled everything into one of his Prairie Dog Special/Tactical stocks that he put a third pillar and glass bedded it for me. I asked him not to finish and paint the stock so I could save some more nickels. (There was very little filling and sanding). I had him add the rail under the forearm so the bipod could be adjustable. I also had the adjustable cheek piece added along with a flush mounted swivel stud added under the butt stock so it would slide on the rear bag better.

When I talked to him before he sent it he told me that he shot 7 rounds using Varget and Berger 105 gr. Match VLDs at 100 yards. First two shots to get on the bullseye and then 5 shots for group size. This was never fired Lapua brass. He said I have a "HUMMER". The group measured .084". WOW!!

To say the very least I am very excited. :):):)

gt40

PS: If I had gotten the action from him I would have saved more nickels too.
Total $1443.00 including shipping.

ya im trying to keep it at 1000 for my first one. if i really like bench shooting (im pretty sure i will) ill invest more on the next one

42769vette,

QUOTE: "scope is seperate and doesn't fall in the 1000 dollar budget"

I believe that if you have a scope already do not buy one or for no more than $300 until you save up some more money for a new & better scope you can have a rifle that shoots as well as a 4 or 5 thousand $ rifle. If you want to impress yourself and the guys at the range do something like I did.

I know that I will get criticized about the scope I put on mine for bench rest shooting until I save up for a better one. It is a 10-40x50 mm Osprey from Sportsman Guide. All the adjustments WORK very well especially the PARALLAX. It has cheep glass, but you can see very well on targets. At high magnification it is dark when looking in dark shadows like across a field looking in the woods. At 40 power the 100 yard target looks like it is at the end of your barrel with absolutely no PARALLAX.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453841

gt40

Attachments

• 10-40x50 3.jpg
    10-40x50 3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 356
  • popgun.jpg
    popgun.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 299
  • attachment-10.jpg
    attachment-10.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 441
  • attachment-8.jpg
    attachment-8.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 288
42769vet,

QUOTE: "scope is seperate and doesn't fall in the 1000 dollar budget"

I believe that if you have a scope already do not buy one or for no more than $300 until you save up some more money for a new & better scope you can have a rifle that shoots as well as a 4 or 5 thousand $ rifle. If you want to impress yourself and the guys at the range do something like I did.

I know that I will get criticized about the scope I put on mine for bench rest shooting until I save up for a better one. It is a 10-40x50 mm Osprey from Sportsman Guide. All the adjustments WORK very well especially the PARALLAX. It has cheep glass, but you can see very well on targets. At high magnification it is dark when looking in dark shadows like across a field looking in the woods. At 40 power the 100 yard target looks like it is at the end of your barrel with absolutely no PARALLAX.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=453841

gt40

i had that exact scope and was happy with it except that 1/8 moa click was not 1/8 moa.

i bought a super sniper and am very happy with it.

i would love to build up a 700 action, but ive HEARD the machine work on a 700 is more expensive than a savage because of there lug design

i would love to build up a 700 action, but ive HEARD the machine work on a 700 is more expensive than a savage because of there lug design
Not exactly. I assume you're talking about the bolt locking lugs. Floating lugs will, to a degree, ensure there is even loading of both lugs when fired, but that is not the only reason actions are trued. The design of the Savage helps *lessen* the effects of various things not being true. Just how effective would be a statistical matter.

As a for-instance, we've installed Savage bolt heads on Remington bolts. Not only because of the floating bolt head, though being able to change bolt heads is one reason. We always true the engagement surfaces.

I'll not offer any advice on building a $1,000 (2009 dollars) competition rifle, because I've no experience with that.

What I have a lot of experience with is people who know very little telling other people how to do something -- the "What some guy said" channel. Careful of that one. I've noticed at least one poster to this thread who is new to benchrest (long or short-range), who has been asking questions about just about everything, etc. etc. etc., but who also has no compunctions about offering his "expert advice" to another new shooter.

There is nothing wrong with what you are trying to do. The odds are, if you like benchrest, you'll toss that original rifle & start completely over. As long as you accept that as *likely*, have at it. "Likely" because, say, 1 out of 1,000 (unscientific number) factory rifles have the tolerances fall so they are just as close as a custom. Your odds of getting that one aren't good, but it happens.

And if you do get it, please don't start posting that the "cheap brand X" -- Savage, in this case -- is just as good as the most expensive custom action. Your sample size is one, & that's too small.

Good luck to you,

Charles

Last edited:
A word of advice

I totally agree with Charles. Trying to get into legitimate bench rest on a $1000 budget is probably possible but not very likely. Sell the Weatherby and put that with the $1000 and buy a good used rifle with a budget to rebarrel.
"Been there done that" is a credo I live by. Go to a local match, there are often deals there that can be had at a reasonable price. Network extensively and you'll get there. And don't be in a hurry.

Fred Moro at Sharp Shooter Supply sells trued and timed Savage target actions for $500. I would start with that.

300 WSM with 1-11 twist or the 6mmBR, BRX or Dasher with 1-8 twist.

For $1000 price range, I would go with the BRX. Standard dies and long barrel life.

BH

I totally agree with Charles. Trying to get into legitimate bench rest on a $1000 budget is probably possible but not very likely. Sell the Weatherby and put that with the $1000 and buy a good used rifle with a budget to rebarrel.
"Been there done that" is a credo I live by. Go to a local match, there are often deals there that can be had at a reasonable price. Network extensively and you'll get there. And don't be in a hurry.

selling the weatherby is not a option due to sentimential attachment. i took my first elk with it and it will be in my casket:D.

Get the Benchrest Dual Port Savage

At 600 and 1000 yards the most important skill is reading the wind and mirage. Although it is nice to have a "killer" rifle, it will not make you a winner by itself. The Savage in 6BR or 6.5x284 will get you out to the range where you can start to learn about the venue. After a while, if you watch and talk to people you will know what you really want and can afford.

As an added bonus it will allow you shoot in the factory class in some of the events.

Good luck and come to shoot with us sometime in Colorado.

selling the weatherby is not a option due to sentimential attachment. i took my first elk with it and it will be in my casket:D.
Suppose you had missed the first six elk you shot at, and wounded the next 3. Suppose those three were never recovered. Would you still want that rifle in your casket?

Seems to me your primary goal is to build a rifle for $1,000. That you can do. You were a little nebulous about the other goals. I don't know of anyone who shoots benchrest who isn't a competitor. If you compete, you want to win. That is inherent in shooting *benchrest*.

The problem is, none of us are likely to win at first. That's the nature of most sports. So you strive to get better. Here is a problem we all face in getting better:

Is my progress being limited by (1) my shooting abilities, or (2) by my equipment?

(1) is always a factor, and if you can make (2) not a factor, your progress will be much smoother.

There is always luck involved. for example: Did I get a really good barrel? Did I get a really good lot of bullets?

The difference here is that an *average* match barrel or match bullets aren't all that far off the really lucky ones. You'll still win a few, your groups will still be small, your scores high.

Move to the whole rifle. Now, you run the risk of being a lot farther off

How good does a rifle have to be? No one knows. In the early days of benchrest, actions were sidewall Mauser repeaters. They weren't stiff enough for the best accuracy. Various things were done to stiffen them, and custom actions began to emerge. No longer an issue.

Here is the point: Of the 500 or so people involved in benchrest in those early days, nobody sat down to figure out just how stiff was stiff enough. Or how true the all the machined joints had to be. No one knows. There probably isn't a cutoff point -- a simple "less stiff (or more runout) than X won't win, stiffer (or less runout) than X is a waste of time." Only a manufacturer contemplating a large run would be interested in seeking such a cutoff point; there aren't enough benchrest shooters to warrant such testing.

If your goal has to be "build a rifle for $1,000" OK. do it. But you'd better have a grasp of other goals, and what your next step is if they aren't being met.

Again, good luck to you.

Building a BR rifle on a budget..

I don't think you can build a truly competative F-Class rifle for $1000 and probably not a BR rifle for twice that.

Nat Lambeth

ok new idea. since i wont ever get rid of my weatherby what would it take to make it competive? could i get a ___ 30 inch barrel and a stock and triggerjob? its a 300wby mag mark v.

Back